Rolfing for lower back issues

DaveD

• Baller
Has anyone tried Rolfing to correct lower back problems? After numerous chiropractic visits and three weeks of physical therapy I've gotten nowhere. Before spending a pile of money and possibly wasting more time, I'd like to get some recomendations.

• Baller

This is a bit tangent to your question Dave but may (or may not) offer a bit of insite. You asked for recommendations so I'll throw it out, if it's worth anything so much the better.

Several years ago my back problems were so severe I seriously thought I needed surgery. As a last resort, before going to see a surgeon I went to a chiro to see if they could do anything for me. Had never been to one, didn't buy into the whoIe chiropractic thing etc but thought as a last resort I'd give it a go. I had the good fortune of finding one who not only worked to fix my immediate problem (calcified facett [sp?] joints) but who also employed a physical trainer to show patients stretching and strengthening methods to help make the adjustments stick.

Bottom line was that I didn't have much in the way of core strength, weighed too much, had a bit of a gut, basically wasn't in shape to support my back muscles properly. The trainer he had working part time in his office also trained at the local gym I had just joined, so I started working with him on a program to get my butt in shape and especially to work on building my core strength. Spent probably 5 - 6 months going to the chiro (and God knows how many $$$'s...) but slowly, surely between working with the two I got way better.

Now several years later at age 56 1/2 I'm working weekly with a really good trainer who has focused on my core strength training, and thanks to her I'm in probably the best physical condition I've been in since high school and have basically no back issues what so ever. Amazing! Dropped my weight from 208 to 193. Wish I'd woke up to the fact years ago that my conditioning and particularly my core strength needed to be at a fairly high level if I'm going to continue doing this skiing thing. Still see the chiro periodically for a tune up but now it's mostly maintainance rather than problem solving.

This may not have a thing to do with your particular situation, and core strength has been discussed here plenty of times before this. I've seen a few others who had some of the same back issues I had pretty much solve them by getting their core strength together. Again, probably something you're completely aware of but if not then hopefully this might be of some help. Best of luck.

Ed

• Baller

This is a bit tangent to your question Dave but may (or may not) offer a bit of insite. You asked for recommendations so I'll throw it out, if it's worth anything so much the better.

Several years ago my back problems were so severe I seriously thought I needed surgery. As a last resort, before going to see a surgeon I went to a chiro to see if they could do anything for me. Had never been to one, didn't buy into the whoIe chiropractic thing etc but thought as a last resort I'd give it a go. I had the good fortune of finding one who not only worked to fix my immediate problem (calcified facett [sp?] joints) but who also employed a physical trainer to show patients stretching and strengthening methods to help make the adjustments stick.

Bottom line was that I didn't have much in the way of core strength, weighed too much, had a bit of a gut, basically wasn't in shape to support my back muscles properly. The trainer he had working part time in his office also trained at the local gym I had just joined, so I started working with him on a program to get my butt in shape and especially to work on building my core strength. Spent probably 5 - 6 months going to the chiro (and God knows how many $$$'s...) but slowly, surely between working with the two I got way better.

Now several years later at age 56 1/2 I'm working weekly with a really good trainer who has focused on my core strength training, and thanks to her I'm in probably the best physical condition I've been in since high school and have basically no back issues what so ever. Amazing! Dropped my weight from 208 to 193. Wish I'd woke up to the fact years ago that my conditioning and particularly my core strength needed to be at a fairly high level if I'm going to continue doing this skiing thing. Still see the chiro periodically for a tune up but now it's mostly maintainance rather than problem solving.

This may not have a thing to do with your particular situation, and core strength has been discussed here plenty of times before this. I've seen a few others who had some of the same back issues I had pretty much solve them by getting their core strength together. Again, probably something you're completely aware of but if not then hopefully this might be of some help. Best of luck.

Ed

• Baller

I would recommend finding a kinesiologist/chiro that uses Active Release Technique. If you are an athlete and have not sufferred some sort of slipped or ruptured disc, there are probably pulled muscles involved that are not fireing properly. The Kinesiologist will work on getting them to support the spine the way they should and help with alignment.

I had lower back trouble for years after slipping on the ice and trying to catch myself on the trunk of my car with my elbow/arm. Tried every Chiro around, muscle relaxers, etc., and the KN/Chiro fixed me up. There was a little bit of pain involved as he stretched muscles and tried to get them to re-align, but nothing as bad as a OTF yard sale. He did use rolfing on my abdominal muscles (yes I had them back then) and that was probably the worst. Not a big deal though.

Look up ART and I believe there is a website that helps find providers. My guy here in NWO is not in a health plan, just charges $150/hour, but it is money well spent. He also fixed my son's hip pointer and hamstring that was not firing correctly.

Other KN/Chiros are okay too if they don't use ART, I just found that to work pretty quickly.

http://www.activerelease.com

• Baller

I would recommend finding a kinesiologist/chiro that uses Active Release Technique. If you are an athlete and have not sufferred some sort of slipped or ruptured disc, there are probably pulled muscles involved that are not fireing properly. The Kinesiologist will work on getting them to support the spine the way they should and help with alignment.

I had lower back trouble for years after slipping on the ice and trying to catch myself on the trunk of my car with my elbow/arm. Tried every Chiro around, muscle relaxers, etc., and the KN/Chiro fixed me up. There was a little bit of pain involved as he stretched muscles and tried to get them to re-align, but nothing as bad as a OTF yard sale. He did use rolfing on my abdominal muscles (yes I had them back then) and that was probably the worst. Not a big deal though.

Look up ART and I believe there is a website that helps find providers. My guy here in NWO is not in a health plan, just charges $150/hour, but it is money well spent. He also fixed my son's hip pointer and hamstring that was not firing correctly.

Other KN/Chiros are okay too if they don't use ART, I just found that to work pretty quickly.

http://www.activerelease.com

• Baller
I've gone through the entire rolfing series, and I have been in lots of physical therapy sessions in which deep tissue massage has been utilized, and I definitely give the nod to the PT. If physical therapy isn't working for you, you need a better physical therapist. The fella' I go to is an absolute witch doctor! He's exposed me to some of the strangest and most intense pain I've ever suffered, but he has healed my torn rotator cuff, a torn (not ruptured) MCL, shin splints, and various aches and pains I've encountered in the mean time. No other physician/healer has been more significant in my well being.

• Baller
I've gone through the entire rolfing series, and I have been in lots of physical therapy sessions in which deep tissue massage has been utilized, and I definitely give the nod to the PT. If physical therapy isn't working for you, you need a better physical therapist. The fella' I go to is an absolute witch doctor! He's exposed me to some of the strangest and most intense pain I've ever suffered, but he has healed my torn rotator cuff, a torn (not ruptured) MCL, shin splints, and various aches and pains I've encountered in the mean time. No other physician/healer has been more significant in my well being.

• Baller

Yes, I have found rolfing and active release to be extremely beneficial. It hurts. Sometimes a LOT. But it can really improve body function, both for accute injury and accumulated "wear and tear."

I do about a 1.5 hour session once a month year round. Really keeps things working. This is in addition to chiro and PT-inspired core and shoulder exercises.

• Baller

Yes, I have found rolfing and active release to be extremely beneficial. It hurts. Sometimes a LOT. But it can really improve body function, both for accute injury and accumulated "wear and tear."

I do about a 1.5 hour session once a month year round. Really keeps things working. This is in addition to chiro and PT-inspired core and shoulder exercises.

I had a PT student who worked out with me for a while, he gave me a few exercises for the back and core, along with my normal routine, that has almost eliminated back issues. The key was building up balanced core strength and back erector muscles. It does not take long, about 30-45 minutes 4-5 days per week.

Essentially, stay in good, overall physical condition, eat right and keep lean, and consult an expert once or twice a year for an evaluation.

I had a PT student who worked out with me for a while, he gave me a few exercises for the back and core, along with my normal routine, that has almost eliminated back issues. The key was building up balanced core strength and back erector muscles. It does not take long, about 30-45 minutes 4-5 days per week.

Essentially, stay in good, overall physical condition, eat right and keep lean, and consult an expert once or twice a year for an evaluation.

• Baller

When I drink so much that I rolf it is not a good thing.

As a kid growing up in a medical family, I heard stories of obvious quackery and damage to people from chiropractors and rolfing. Chiropractic treatment has evolved into rigorous and responsible care with results on par with physical therapy and statistically better than surgery for back issues. While you should probably steer clear of anybody who claims to be able to cure strep throat with manipulation of the spine, a chiropractor who is willing to spend enough time with you can really help.

Rolfing scares me for the potential for strokes. The process is too agressive for my comfort level.

I have had great results from physical therapy and massage. Better results from building and maintaining core, shoulder and knee strength and flexibility to avoid the injuries in the first place.

To avoid injury I do trick in a dorky neck brace. And spandex.

Eric

• Baller

When I drink so much that I rolf it is not a good thing.

As a kid growing up in a medical family, I heard stories of obvious quackery and damage to people from chiropractors and rolfing. Chiropractic treatment has evolved into rigorous and responsible care with results on par with physical therapy and statistically better than surgery for back issues. While you should probably steer clear of anybody who claims to be able to cure strep throat with manipulation of the spine, a chiropractor who is willing to spend enough time with you can really help.

Rolfing scares me for the potential for strokes. The process is too agressive for my comfort level.

I have had great results from physical therapy and massage. Better results from building and maintaining core, shoulder and knee strength and flexibility to avoid the injuries in the first place.

To avoid injury I do trick in a dorky neck brace. And spandex.

Eric

• Baller

I will let Razor1 tell his PT story...it's a success given his current freakish ski endurance and he was in trouble not too many years ago. I was following his path of deterioration...I remember telling my father when I was 24 y.o. if I could go another 5 years on my back I would be happy. At that time I could not drive the next skier after I skied...had to spot one in the extended position for one set, then I could drive. Getting back into my car after skiing was tough, getting out sometimes worse.

The back was the weak link for me despite the power to bench press in excess of 400 lbs, military for reps at 315, straight bar curls for sets at 175, leg press sets over 1000 lbs. The core turned out to be key, along w/giving up on all the silly power that doesn't matter and the associated extra body weight. I weighed nearly 230...now 190.

I started doing some of the same core exercises as Razor1, and here I am 15 years later w/the best skiing of my life. It only takes me a few minutes daily, so it's a small sacrifice. It's far less than my bro does overall, but for now it's working. Probably will need to up the ante as I age.

• Baller

I will let Razor1 tell his PT story...it's a success given his current freakish ski endurance and he was in trouble not too many years ago. I was following his path of deterioration...I remember telling my father when I was 24 y.o. if I could go another 5 years on my back I would be happy. At that time I could not drive the next skier after I skied...had to spot one in the extended position for one set, then I could drive. Getting back into my car after skiing was tough, getting out sometimes worse.

The back was the weak link for me despite the power to bench press in excess of 400 lbs, military for reps at 315, straight bar curls for sets at 175, leg press sets over 1000 lbs. The core turned out to be key, along w/giving up on all the silly power that doesn't matter and the associated extra body weight. I weighed nearly 230...now 190.

I started doing some of the same core exercises as Razor1, and here I am 15 years later w/the best skiing of my life. It only takes me a few minutes daily, so it's a small sacrifice. It's far less than my bro does overall, but for now it's working. Probably will need to up the ante as I age.

• Baller_

I went through the Rolfing series a number of years ago and it definitely has its benefits. Think of it like a really serious massage that has effects for months rather than days. It will be uncomfortable at times.

As with many other physio-therapeutic things its critical to find a Rolfer that will work with you rather than a one size fits all approach. A good Rolfer will spend time to determine what will work best for you.

Remember there is no silver bullet. It may help if your issues are with muscle/tendon/fascia imbalances. If your problems lie elsewhere, it may not help at all.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_

I went through the Rolfing series a number of years ago and it definitely has its benefits. Think of it like a really serious massage that has effects for months rather than days. It will be uncomfortable at times.

As with many other physio-therapeutic things its critical to find a Rolfer that will work with you rather than a one size fits all approach. A good Rolfer will spend time to determine what will work best for you.

Remember there is no silver bullet. It may help if your issues are with muscle/tendon/fascia imbalances. If your problems lie elsewhere, it may not help at all.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Finding a good physical therapist is important. I have worked with the same guy for 15-20 years and he is amazing. However, what a PT can do for you is get the tissue and structure moving again in an anatomically good way. This gets you started. Also, they will recommend exercises that will help you maintain that movement and improve the muscle stability and reaction time. Frequently when you injure your back the muscles around it spasm, then basically shut down. There are specific things you can do to "wake them up" again. Once past that critical phase, it is all about sticking with the exercises even when you feel good. I find it also helps to be creative with your workouts. For example, I do core specific stuff like planks and "active" core strengthening with cables, but I also incorporate core into the rest of my workout. When I do dumbell curls I only hold one dumbell and work one arm at a time. Why? Because it creates an imbalance -- your core has to engage to keep your body upright. I do the same thing with lat raises, holding only one dumbell at a time and doing one shoulder at a time. While these aren't "core exercises" per se, they engage the core and strengthen it. If you start thinking about every exercise you do and imagine how you can engage your core while doing it, pretty soon over half of your workout involves core and you aren't even thinking about it.

As a guy with a genetically disadvantaged spine (juvenile disk disease/Scheuermann's Disease), severe degenerative disk disease in the low back (one ruptured so far) and neck, along with more spinal arthritis than you can imagine (you should see the bone spurs!), this stuff is all critical to my ability to continue borrowing time. Without it I'd already be a big fat guy sitting on the couch with a bag of chips and a remote control.

• Baller

Finding a good physical therapist is important. I have worked with the same guy for 15-20 years and he is amazing. However, what a PT can do for you is get the tissue and structure moving again in an anatomically good way. This gets you started. Also, they will recommend exercises that will help you maintain that movement and improve the muscle stability and reaction time. Frequently when you injure your back the muscles around it spasm, then basically shut down. There are specific things you can do to "wake them up" again. Once past that critical phase, it is all about sticking with the exercises even when you feel good. I find it also helps to be creative with your workouts. For example, I do core specific stuff like planks and "active" core strengthening with cables, but I also incorporate core into the rest of my workout. When I do dumbell curls I only hold one dumbell and work one arm at a time. Why? Because it creates an imbalance -- your core has to engage to keep your body upright. I do the same thing with lat raises, holding only one dumbell at a time and doing one shoulder at a time. While these aren't "core exercises" per se, they engage the core and strengthen it. If you start thinking about every exercise you do and imagine how you can engage your core while doing it, pretty soon over half of your workout involves core and you aren't even thinking about it.

As a guy with a genetically disadvantaged spine (juvenile disk disease/Scheuermann's Disease), severe degenerative disk disease in the low back (one ruptured so far) and neck, along with more spinal arthritis than you can imagine (you should see the bone spurs!), this stuff is all critical to my ability to continue borrowing time. Without it I'd already be a big fat guy sitting on the couch with a bag of chips and a remote control.

• Baller
I had serious back injuries last year. I thought I was in shape, running and lifting 3 or 4 days a week. But the reality was, I wasn't working out right, in a way that benefited my sport. I spent a few bucks and hired Marcus Browns girlfriend, Jenny LaBaw, to assist me in my condition. She is a fantastic trainer and she does it all online for $75 a month approx. The workouts she gave me were meant to make me a better skier, and for the first season ever, I never had a single back issue, no pain, no problems. She had me doing a ridiculous amount of core, inclusive of numerous deadlifts, both one legged (for balance), and two legged for core and hamstrings. I had my best season of my life. In addition to the core work, she spent a considerable amount of time on leg strength, both squats, lunges, box jumps, etc. She is fantastic! I highly recommend her for any skier.