Worst jump crash ever? Kyle Dammeyer submits his entry.

ScarletArrow

• Baller

Not to say that looked fun, but I would think (from a basis of zero landed jumps in my life) that sliding up the ramp like that is no where near as painful/dangerous as the ski tip catches I've seen, such as some of The Krista's crashes?

Good point about "Agony of Defeat" icon, though! It's actually a really similar sequence to that iconic video (that dates us a bit...).

• Baller

I literally just got off the phone with Kyle's dad, Karl.

He said Kyle is doing fine...it was like a car crash, didn't feel until a day or two later.

Kyle actually got back on the skis for his 3rd attempt (now that is some stones).

Kyle is supposed to be on the BigTen Network tonight at 6:30 (he skis for Ohio State).

Karl was glad that his wife, Denise, was present and didn't watch the crash via webcast so she could know that he was alright.

For those of you who don't know the Dammeyer's they are an awesome ski family in SW Ohio (St. Mary's) and have a lake called Shortline Shores.

They have 3 kids, Kyle, Kevin and Kristen who are just as good of people as they are skiers - and they are awesome skiers!

I believe this is where Jodi Fisher kicked off his Ski Skool tour the last two years.

• Baller

Yeah, he was fine after that set and was certainly alive and well at the banquet - not even contemplating the possibility that the video of his crash would become quite possibly the most watched water ski video in recent times.

Here's the clip from ESPN's "Around the Horn" - yes, THAT ESPN....

...and from a nationally-syndicated news magazine show called Right This Minute.....

and that interview that was being eluded to earlier on the Big Ten Network? Got that too....

Just for his ambassadorial role alone in that interview on the behalf of the NCWSA and especially the schools in the MidWest he should be a shoe-in for an award at the NCWSA Mid-Winter meeting come the new year. He gets my vote for sure....

• Baller
To those of you that are jumpers I know that his left ski caught but why do you think it happened. My son was watching it and I want to make sure he understands what went wrong so he doesn't do it anytime soon. It looked to me like he might have started to go flat and not pull all the way through the ramp and that is why the ski wandered out but I don't jump.

It has nothign to do with him being flat. Usually you dont go flat that far infront of the jump.

If you look closely at the video. He comes off the second wake and has his left ski off the water. As soon as he sets it in the water it catches and he loses it.

• Administrators

I have never seen video but I think Josh Briant went full Evel Knievel a number of years ago and tried to break every bone in his body at college Nationals. Someone must know the story.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller_

Not only is he still skiing, he won M2 Slalom at Nationals last year and was 3rd in Trick.  No Jump, though, and I don't blame him.

Edited by MISkier
  • Like 1

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

! seen the best in the world have an unexpected realization they weren't under their own control as they flew through the air . had a few under my watch. but two that stand out was one Jason Seals took ski fly practice out at Bruce Neville place in O- town.. near 300 ' lost control in the air. Then there was the 2010 world jump semi's in Calgary.. they ran out of helicopters , not enough ambulances.....

ugly day for sure.

• Baller

@Taperflex was he ok? 😮
Problem with jump crashes is that although spectacular, they can be pretty devastating in terms of injury. The worst ones I really don’t want to see (I’m thinking Geoff Carrington, Kyle Eade etc). Still, jump is popular with the audience for similar reasons we watched F1 in the 80/90’s - the danger and potential for a big off.

• Baller_
On 3/23/2023 at 7:01 PM, Horton said:

I have never seen video but I think Josh Briant went full Evel Knievel a number of years ago and tried to break every bone in his body at college Nationals. Someone must know the story.

late cut, hit the side of the ramp. He still tricks, he lives the West coast life now though.

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾