Old School boat

rodltg2

• Baller_
Sorry, first pick is sideways. Second pic is WSM 1995 Boat Buyers Guide review of California Skier. 3rd pick is direct comparison in order from left to right, 1994 SN, 1994 MC 190, and the California. It compares very favorably if not better. They went on to add great trick and board wake. So so for barefoot. I always liked the little prop levels they gave the boats back in the day.. hmmmm. looked better on my phone. and the third pic is to tiny. Dont know why. Basically the California beats SN and MC at long lines and ties at short line.

• Baller_
JTH, perfect! Jr. in 5th is good, will make for an interesting chase with Tony leading after a mediocre season. Only because they specialize in that unique boat . . . certainly not for skiing expertise which reigns supreme on this site and nowhere else!

• Baller_
JTH, perfect! Jr. in 5th is good, will make for an interesting chase with Tony leading after a mediocre season. Only because they specialize in that unique boat . . . certainly not for skiing expertise which reigns supreme on this site and nowhere else!

• Baller_

The WSM boat test on the Calif Skier was done back when they actually tested the boats in depth. Now a day's the tests are a glorified photo shoot for advertisement purposes.

As A repair shop owner dedicated to the inboard market I am starting to see a few boats coming in that we are re-powering to to utilize the ZO speed control. Currently we have a mid 90 Malibu Euro that we are re powering with a Excalibur 343 By PCM. Nice thing is PCM has made it stupid proof to re-power older ski boats, drop it in plug and play. The oldest I have done is a 79 SN with a EX-330 however The guy liked Perfect Pass and I installed a StarGazer dbw unit.

• Baller_
Well I guess it all depends on who you talk to about the price of a new motor. For me it depends on if I am doing the work or drop shipping a motor to someone. Being I am only re-powering with PCM products usually the cost to the customer for a Excalibur sitting on my shop floor bobtail is somewhere in the $8,500.00 Range. The worth of the pull out motor depends on what it is and how many hours and well maintained. A pull Out GT-40 could bring upwards of $3,500.00 Or as little as $500.00. Also having a market for pullout motors is a good thing to have. I sat on a 305 proski PCM motor with low hours wanting $2,500 and finally wound up setting it in a 22' foot Mako and selling it for $1,500. So it all depends on how bad you want to move the pull out equipment.

• Administrators
Most skiers feel that Classic is a more consistent pull. Gazer does some strange thing. Slow first segment and hot second... or is the other way around. Whatever Classic is generally more dependable if you have a reasonable driver

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

Whats the easiest system to drive with zo or classic, most of my drivers are newer to the course (getting better). It seems my boat pulls hot at first and then settles down. I would purchase the zo update if it is eaiser to drive with. I guess if it's harder to drive with that is probably the only reason I wouldn't purchase it. Also with classic call I still use the magnet setup at only the entrance gates?

• Baller

So far I have skied the boat twice since the Stargazer install. Stargazer is working great. No problems with times or getting it to lock into speed. The boat tracks really well, I was surprised since the rudder has not been shaved. Ist get upto speed and pulls up a 220lbs skier with no problems. I can only comment on the wake thru 28 as I am a longliner. 15 feels small and soft , really not much of a noticable difference from lets say a cc196. The 22 bump is there, and felt similar to a 93MC190. 28 no bump and smooth transitions. Will have to wait for better skiers to come along to get the opinion on shorter lengths. Only issue, but small , is when coming around the islands it tends to roll over a bit. Easily fixed by turning a bit wider.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/IMG_0361.jpg

• Baller

Rod,

It is a nice looking boat. Glad to have you & Steve out at Pleasant Oak. I will ski with you guys anytime to try shortline, you just caught us Satuday working on a project. The only comment I will make is the exhaust note sounds cool (I like racing), but is louder than an 08 MC. :) You can definitly tell when you guys are skiing.

Kevin

• Baller_

I will be curious to hear feedback on how good the wake is for your buoy runs.

As for noise, if you want to knock it down a bit, you might try some stiffer rubber baffles on the tips, that helps a lot. You can get various thickness of rubber from McMaster-Carr and cut them yourself. If the compression ratio is up a bit, there will be some noise attributed to that. I am sure it sounds great.

• Baller
Agree with the comment about 90's colors. My 94 MC 190 is the Teal and Pink. I can't afford newer, so it was what it was. Came from a Stars and Stripe w/ Flake and it is hard to lose the cool factor, but when I ski the new rig, the coolness is a distant memory.