drysuit review--Oneill Boost

6balls

• Baller

Skied the Oneill Boost today in 58 degree water, 58 degree air. Big wind but ran on the well protected shore.

It's a baggy suit, but not a lot of material. Integrated farmer john, latex ankles/wrists, but neoprene neck. Personally coming from an Oneill Hybrid suit that I like in comfort but don't like that I'm typically pretty damp using it.

Easy to get the Boost on and farmer john creates better fit. Neoprene neck a little tight at first but expect to loosen up w/time. Burped XS air and jumped in.

Stayed bone dry and warm w/sweatpants/sweatshirt underneath. No XS drag coming out of the hole, on the legs from spray, or from air.

Came off very easy when done, even over big swollen sprained ankle...in fact easier over the injury than the hybrid suit. All in all...very pleased. Goal was comfort, no air/water drag like the hybrid, but actually bone dry unlike my hybrid.

• Baller

I did not wear a vest and had plenty of flotation. Would have even more w/out burping all the air...but I burped pretty much all I could. Got it at midwest mastercraft www.waterskis.com.

I searched around a bit for cheaper, but the prices there were the same as others (taint cheap at $414.99), and it's not too far from where I live and shipping was free.

Marco, inside the suit are a couple of buckles on straps kind of like you find on a set of waders. They go from the upper back up over your shoulders and click into their mounted counterparts on the inside of the front of the suit. Once you stick your head thru and zip in they are on the inside and you don't know they are there. Using them is essential for a good fit on the suit. First time I tried it on I did not use them and had a deep crotch thinking I got the wrong size. Used the farmer john straps and then had perfect fit.

The farmer john not only helped fit, but in between sets I was unzipped to pull my head out while pulling my ski partner and it keeps the suit from falling down w/out having your head thru the neck seal.

I was nervous going full baggy based on past experience with other baggies, but am very pleased...thankfully big score as I did not want to make a $400 mistake.

• Baller

Thanks 6balls. Sounds like a good, albeit pricey, suit. I guess if it last several years it would be worth the money.

I've been told by my ski partner to pull my head out in between sets as well, but he wasn't referring to my drysuit...

• Baller
A new hybrid was close to $400 as well...and that became damp in short order so figured a change was needed. I have a Barefoot International baggy suit, too. It's 100% dry but the seals are so thick and tight that my feet, ankles and head could explode not to mention how tough to get on/off. It also is too baggy, big drag out of the hole and terrible air drag when skiing...enough to add 10lbs skier weight on PP classic. My concern on hybrid was wet. My concern on baggy was drag as well as ingress/egress which are both solved in the Boost. Excited enough to justify the big hole in my pocket book (whew!). No experience with the adrenaline, but could buy 1.5 adrenaline's for same price as Boost so probably worth the look as well.

• Baller

PSM,

So far neoprene neck seal still fairly snug but only have about 5 uses thus far. It must stretch while it's on b/c when I put the suit on I think it's a little snug, but then I forget about it and could wear it a long time. The old latex necks always made it feel like I wasn't getting blood to my head after a while.

The neo neck seal will leak. I have had mine leak under hard crashes but it is much more comfy. I have also had a small hole in the arm cuff. I repaired with a simple bike tube patch kit and it has been water tight. Once again great suit for me.

I had the Boost and didn't like it. Too baggy, and was a bear to get up in. Felt like it had a ton of drag. I went to the Hybrid. I like this suit alot more and yes I do get a little wet but it worked in water temps just above freezing. My wrist cuffs have since split and I am back in the market for a dry suit. There are alot of guys using the OS Systems dry suit here and they like them over the boost because they are a thinner, lighte weight material. I may give this one a try next.

http://www.ossystems.com/surface/dwb.html

• Baller

I don't know if they still do it or not, but I use to order an XL suit with a XXL neck seal direct from O'Neill. This was for the old Lapoint drysuit, which is still my favorite. Fortunately, I can just buy a XXL suit now and not worry about it being too baggy. :)

• Baller

Skied Boost today after 4 days in FL w/out drysuit at tourney. I burped most of the air out and I can't say I felt any more drag today then when in FL when getting up...though I'm a drag one leg toe-loop guy.

Wide/early 35's no problem, either, so air drag did not seem to hold me up, either.

I liked my hybrid as well. If it kept me dryer would have bought another. All things considered I really like the Boost.

• Baller

OF,

I've been very happy w/ my Eagle (about time to break it out again). Also bought one for my daughter (nothing worse than sharing a drysuit). I have used a Boost as well. The neoprene neck seal of the Boost is a nice feature, but figure that the front zip of the Eagle is the tradeoff. I'd be happy in either of them. The Eagle is surprisingly light weight and almost seems to breathe. I found the neck seal to be too tight and trimmed a couple "rings" off of it...problem solved. The white/black one looks nice, but I was warned that the white will stain easy if you go in water w/ high mineral content. Thus I have the red/black one. I usually wear an Eagle vest underneath it, and don't have any issues w/ "drag".

DMac

I bought an eagle drysuit last month. Love it! I was worried about the drag from all the talk I read about drag with drysuits, but I hardly even noticed a difference when I blead out the air. Works great and looks great! I bought the black and white, didn't think about staining though. Seals on ankles were a little tight at first. Great suit! I also noticed that it seemed like the suit breathed very well.