Heebie Jeebie Lake Water

TomD

Background: man-made lake (lake 1), 4-5 ft deep, 1 of 3 interconnected lakes, had blue dye added this summer for the first time in a while, had copper sulfate added for algae.

Has anyone experienced the feel of the lake water changing drastically over a short period of time. It went from feeling normal to feeling like it wants to grab your ski, especially on the pull-out for the gate and the turn-in to the gate. The ski “walks” like crazy if you are going straight on a flat ski (like at the end of a pass).

None of this was happening 10 days ago.

I heard this problem affected lake 2 a while ago. No idea if it’s back to normal yet.

• Baller

Tom,

It definitely has not resolved back to normal yet. I think it's a touch better, but not all the way back. I just took a lunch set and basically to me it feels like I am skiing on ice. Both Mike K. and I agreed that if you ski very connected to the rope and can maintain really good position on your ski back to the handle, that you can ski Ok, but there is very little room for error. On Monday I seriously could not even run 32. Today I ran a decent 32 and had a good start at 35, but the ski did the grab thing at 2 and that was it. Just in case anyone out there thinks this is just in our heads, this is happening to everyone to a man (or woman), no exceptions. Something very funky going on. They are putting another bag of copper sulfate in tomorrow morning, so we'll see if it improves further. I was skiing without my wing today. Next set on Friday I will ski with my wing and some extra wing angle to see if I can keep more ski in the water. Feel like sanding my bevels to make the ski ride deeper.

• Baller

Hey Kevin. Let me know how the S2 goes. Tried the A2 on Monday and wasn't excited about it, but the way the lake is skiing right now, it's not the best time to be testing skis. Would like to try your S2 if that's OK.

OB - haven't you heard the old saying "better skiing through chemistry"? Aren't the fish (grass carp?) more for weed control? We think this is just a build-up of algae in the water. No weed issues.

• Baller_
If your lake is outside Sacramento, I skied it three weeks ago and loved it. I skied a lake this weekend in Pennsylvania that skied differently Friday night (way fast) than it did Saturday or Sunday (ski really set in and skied slow). I was not the only skier to notice the difference. One thought was that on Friday all the algae was on top, but by the time we skied an Saturday (after tricks and all the juniors) the lake had been stirred up enough to "mix the algae back in". Is this possible?

Lpskier