Your first -38 off pass

rawly

• Baller

First time in practice: August 2007. I had recently turned 36 and it was my first full season at 34 mph. I would run it one more time in October (in a drysuit). But that winter I drifted down a path that eventually resulted in two herniated discs. Although I only missed about 2-3 months of ski time, getting back to 100% took a whole lot longer. I haven't run it in practice since (although I think I'm overall skiing better than 2007, just haven't gotten lucky yet).

First time in a tournament: July 2011, having just turned 40. The thrill of making it out that exit gate is exactly what you might suspect -- maybe even more. I am far from a demonstrative guy, and I damn near knocked myself off the ski from excessive celebration. I used up so much energy that I couldn't even consider taking a turn-and-burn round; I was TOAST.

Just before that, I had been discussing with my Men V counterparts what it takes to get through a -38. It's a bit different. "Patience" was the one word that came up again and again. Because of the geometry, there's a tendency to *feel* late even on those rare occasion that you aren't. Related to that, you have to really "ski" most of the way back to the wakes. Loading up early does nothing because the angle is too high. If you're not used to it (and I'm not!), you feel like you're "waiting" to pull, which *feels* like a really poor use of your time. But it's the only way for the geometry to work, and that's why you must remain patient throughout.

And then there's the gate, which I am very much still learning, but three things I think I know are that you have to start really high on the boat, set a good angle, but NOT overpull. It's awfully easy to generate WAY too much speed at -38.

Here's hoping that someday I can claim to be Master of the Purple...

And thanks for giving me an excuse to tell that story again! :)

• Baller
First time I ran it was in a tournament in September 2007. I was judging in the boat when my younger brother (6balls) ran 35 off. When we dropped him in the water he asked what he should do now, since he'd never even looked at 38 off. The driver and I both told him to just relax and think of it like a 35. He gets a good start and runs 4 and nearly 5 (made a fatal coming out of four and got lean locked). Now I'm thinking, wow, how do I top that! I judge a while longer and then get out of the boat. My turn comes up and I go out at 28 and run through 35. Sitting at the same place he was about 30 minutes before I try to stay calm. Wouldn't you know it I run the dang pass! I, like Than, was pretty much jumping out of my skin. Of course, that was the same way I felt the first time I ran 28 in a tournament, 32, 35, etc. The first time is a huge rush! I've run quite a few more in practice since then, and three more in tournaments. Still feels mighty special to roll out the end gates on that one!

• Baller_
October 2008. Had been running 38s 50% of the time in practice. (never in a tourney). Went out at 32 and ran up to and ran 39. Both 38 and 39 were frantic, felt out of contol and late like Than said it does. It all happened so fast I have no idea how I made it. Funny thing, I had a rope that did not have the 41 loop. Baught the line on the cheap cause it only went to 39 as I figured 41 wont be needed. We tied a loop on the line (complete guess) and I ran 1 at 41... I think. Needless to say 39 never went down again. 38s are far far and few between. But what made that day even better.......my daughter ran the big course for the first time. Best day ever!!! Treated myself to a new rope that day. It had a 41 loop.

• Administrators

First time I ever ran 38 was one of the first times my girlfriend ever watched me from the boat - I married her. I ran it 9 times that summers ago. (4 years ago - I think)

a few times a year every year since

Not yet in a tournament. (Twice in official practice the day before a tournament)

Goode  KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

As Razor notes above, damned near got it in my first tourney at 34 mph in '07. Wouldn't be until '09 in practice at the swamp behind PP...just smoked it and was pretty jazzed w/a tourney 2 days away. Couldn't seal the tourney deal, but was also my first ZO experience and had no idea what to pick.

Have run only a handful of 38's since and none (yet) in a tourney, but getting down course to 4 and 5 like crazy in practice and tourneys and skiing 35 best of my life.

Best 38 was w/Razor at trophy lakes in practice. I rip a 38...he runs two 38's and complete 39! That is as happy as I have seen my big brutha (I was excessively pumped for him too)! We were so pumped he ended the set not even attempting to get a few at 41 w/us jumping up and down like morons! In retrospect we can't believe it...it's the only 39 he's ever run and he could have had buoys at 41.

Not sure what my reaction will be once 38 falls in a tourney for me...my thinking is pumped but more subdued than typical, trying to get more than 0.5 or 1 at 39.

Hopefully soon I can report what it feels like when I run my first tourney 38!

Ballers rock!

• Baller

I'm smiling right now at that pic, OB...that's what it's all about!

Boat didn't shorten for Razor1 last year Pensacola after successful 38...I'm on video camera. He comes out and is running what we ALL think is 39 in a tourney...I'm coming out of my skin, the announcer is going nuts. He looks good into 5 and implodes shortly thereafter...only to find out it was 38 again!

OB,

That is awesome! Last year my oldest son who was 2.5 came to me after watching both his mom and I ski and he said he wanted to ski. Awesome! He got right up and went for what seemed like a half hour down and around both turn islands. It was a great day. The next time he came out to the lake with me it was a bit cold and windy. Non the less he jumped on the ski and away he went. I got excited and decided to up the speed..........bad idea. He fell around the turn island and I think it was cold and he may have been a little scared from the fall. Its been almost a year and he still shows no intentions of wanting to ski. Oh well, my mistake and lesson learned. I'm not pushing him but I pray that some day again he will want to ski with his Dad again.

• Baller_
I started getting it in practice two winters ago, PP classic and SG behind older boats. Since having a ZO boat I haven't been getting through it in practice as often, but have been able to run it a couple times this season and last in tourneys. It's definitely a great feeling to get it right in a tournament. But even more impressive was watching Sully's little boy ZOOMING around the lake parking lot on his bicycle this past Sunday for the first time without training wheels !!!!

• Baller

I ran it a few times in practice in 2009.

In Sept 09, bought a 9900 on ski it again. In Oct 09, I ran it on the LAST tournament round of the year. Thought it was a fluke but they've been going down like crazy ever since. Still am amazing feeling to run it.

• Baller

OB wrote: "I plan to do it before I die and then I'm cutting all of my skis up and making a dock chair so I can watch my kids struggle for the rest of their lives to do the same."

There is definitely a feeling of being "done" that I never had before. The first time I ran every previous pass, I had a big celebration and then about 2 minutes later my focus was entirely on running the next one.

I think perhaps because I recognize that I won't ever be running -39, getting -38 completed at a tournament sort of felt like that "last thing I must do before calling it a career."

I haven't lost any motivation at all, and now I am hungry to run -38 a lot more and someday care how many buoys I get at -39.

But it *is* different now.

• Baller
OB wouldn't ever cut any ski in decent shape to make a chair (might sell it and get a Herman Miller, though...). And he will not be sitting in the dock after running 38 in a tourney. And his kids will run 38 w/o major struggles before they are 1/3 his age.

I ran my 1st 38 (44 years old) in the 3rd round of the 2006 Michigan state championships on an 05 Monza. It was only my 2nd full year back skiing after a 20 year hiatus. I was so incredibly geeked that the boat crew took probably 2 minutes to settle me down for the task at hand..... and I picked up a full 2 @ 39. That was my magical year. Two and a half weeks later I went to the 2006 Nationals in Bakersfield (thank you Horton for hosting) and ran 4 @ 38 for 15th place on a MPD I bought from Andy 2 days before. Most thought it was crazy to ski on a new ski at nationals. And I would agree except that I ran 38 for only the 2nd time in my life when demoing the ski. So to me, the ski felt so good, why not, I had nothing to lose and everything to gain…..I just might podium if I could run it again in the Nationals.

I have only run 38 in a tournament one time since and only have a total of maybe 12-15 run in my life, and none in the last 2 years...... that is until 3 weeks ago. And this is why I love this sport.

With the introduction of Zero Off I have had to evolve skiing from a scrambling, over-turn, hook-up and hang on style, to the proper maintenance of as much speed as possible at the end of the turn concluding in the right place. So with a gazillion 32’s, 35’s and a lot of 36 ½’s working on handle control, proper transition (edge change) and patience in the turn (working to stay open at the end of the turn so as to not over turn)……………..I absolutely stroked a 38 three weeks ago. It was a different high this time. It was so easy that I didn’t believe they shortened the rope!!! I got in the boat to see it myself and ended the set right there. And I have had a brand new sense of confidence since. Then again last night at Jepawhit, with Jack Daughrty driving, I did it again. Not quite as clean, but certainly solid in any case.

Tweeking my ski enough to make it stop doing unpredictable things and perform well has been a key as well. I give BOS all the credit for educating me in becoming a “tweeker as needed”.

I am hoping that the light switch is finally clicking on in this 49 yr old ski head. Maybe next year I can change my BOS handle to “38 in the bag”.

John Miller - Michigan

• Baller

2003 in practice only. Was surprised how easy it felt. Haven't run it since '04 or '05. Creeping back up on it now as I learn ZO and as I learn me better and why my skiing suffers or improves and what is really important to focus on (funny thing, it's what I was focusing on in '03 - maintaining a tight line. I have no idea how I got away from it for so long.)

If I could trade my improvement for getting my boys to where they want to go, I would. Hopefully we all get better together, though.

• Baller
Wow skidawg! 5 @ 39 at 36 mph in a tourney??? And given you note never in a tourney must have busted into 41 at 36 mph in practice??? Smokin! I wanted 35 off 36 mph in a tourney before Men III, but never got out. Hoping I don't say the same about tourney 38's some day at 34.

August 18th 2010 (27 Years Old) was the first time I ran it in practice. First summer back from a three year waterskiing hiatus for chiropractic college. Didn't run it in a tournament until July this year at Goode Ski Lake. Best feeling ever! I have since run it 4 other times in tournaments this year and hope to add more this weekend!

• Baller_
First practice 38 in 1989 at age 27 on a Kidder Redline, behind a really good driver, which was critical back then. First tournament 38 in 1996 at age 34 on a Connelly Missile, again behind a really good driver. Yikes that was a loooong time ago......when Skidawg was a Skipuppy.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Practice. I was 24 in 1993 at Shortline in Destin with Cory Pickos at the wheel. I still have the 67" EP I ran it on. I don't know why, but that ski must weigh 10 lbs. It floated vertical with the tip pointing up.

Ran it in a tournament the next summer at Outlaw Lake in Oklahoma. I was riding a 67" Duval 1050S. That thing was slow. Jim Fletchall was driving and I kissed him (on the cheek) afterwards.

• Baller
@Scot you just reminded me that I plan to keep all of the equipment I was using/wearing on that first -38 once I retire it. Looks like the gloves are gonna be first to be enshrined, and my handle is probably soon to follow. Eventually, I'll probably mount this ski somewhere moderately discrete (e.g. the basement), but first I need to use it to run -38 a bunch more times! :)