New ski for my wife

Than_Bogan

• Baller

My wife is not a serious skier, but has fun when she can make time to do it. She can do some damage in the mini-course and has some aspirations to run the real thing at some point.

Her biggest problem is that she sometimes buries the tip on the take-off and then uses a ton more strength than necessary and/or eats a lot of lake. We're working on technique, but she kind of learned to just overpower it and it will take some time to learn a different way.

She's on an OLD ski, and I was thinking a more modern "beginner to intermediate" slalom ski might help her in all sorts of ways. And the ones with slighter wider forebody seem like they'd be a big help on the take-off.

Anybody have a favorite ski in this category? If there are various choices, I'd lean toward less expensive. She isn't serious and doesn't plan to become serious -- I just want her to consistently have fun out there. Less water into the sinuses and a few more buoys would both be great!

there are used senate's on Ski-it-again. I used one to take me from "knows how to get up most of the time" through to 34 mph now so it is a pretty versatile ski and easy to use. Probably not as forgiving as an older used D3 though, I have skiied on my wifes a few times and it's like skiing on melted butter, hook up after the turn is SOO smooth.

• Baller

Most high end skis can be set up to work well for casual skiers. Find light comfortable bindings and maybe go a bit oversize on the ski and she should do quite well. Note that the high end skis tend to be lighter - which makes them easier to carry around if nothing else.

Lisa found the Obrien Sixam really easy to get up on and it skis quite well for her. Now if she can adapt to ZO...

I still have an old Goode 9400 kicking around the shop if you'd like to try that for her!

Eric

• Baller_
My friend and I both tested Radar Vice and Strada. Even though we were looking for ourselves, we both commented how we felt these skies would work well for beginners on up. Very stable. The D3 I rode had a very ease of use feel as well. Very smooth.

• Baller

How 'bout bindings? Are those Vectors that seem to come standard on the Senate a good option for somebody who mainly just wants easy on and off?

Anybody see/have a used 69" Senate at a decent price? The new price for that package is beyond what I'd hoped to pay.

Any important difference between model years on the Senate?

I will have mine to sell in a little, but there are a variety of them on ski it again normally, or earlier in the year I saw a bunch of NOS senates as well.

No idea on those bindings, but is there a price limit you have in mind? I would just buy my wife strada bindings if money was not the issue, they are super comfortable and super easy to put on, dont even have to use water!

Here is one on SIA and since they are a shop maybe they would cut you a deal with some bindings. I got my bindings cheapest from H20 pro shop

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Slalom&postid=14303

• Baller

2011 Senates are based off the Strada. 2010 and earlier were based off the MPD/RS1 mold. I've skiied both and they are forgiving enough for beginners but will also get you into 34mph and shortening the rope a couple loops. The Lyric is from the same mold as the Senate but with a softer flex. If a 67 would work this is a great deal http://www.radarskistore.com/products/productdetail/2010+Lyric+-+Blank+w/fin/part_number=1008%2A/1399.0.1.1.49333.54086.0.0.0?pp=10&

• Baller

Than,

The Senate C JayG posted would probably work for her. Another option would be a Radar Theory or an HO Triumph. Meghan struggled with the same thing and I have her on a 65" Triumph and she seems to have mastered the deep water start at this point and is running the course at up to 23 mph on it.

I got my wife the Lyric with Lyric Bindings and she also is ripping the mini course and is loving this ski I know where a brand new 65 with double lyrics is sitting right now for a very good price.

She was on the HO ASX and said this the Lyric feels "smoother" than the ASX and could for sure stay in the bindings a lot longer.

• Baller
Than, you probably know this already but burying the tip is a result of trying to stand up too soon. Meghan really struggled with that aspect of getting up on 1 ski she used to try and stand up and would bury the tip. When she was patient she popped right up when she rushed she buried the tip and didn't get up.

• Baller

@Chef23 Oddly enough, she doesn't appear to be trying to stand to early. It's more like she's going into fetal position and rotating forward just a touch so that ski is going toward underwater. This may be derived from originally (years ago) learning how to take off behind a 70hp whaler (also my fault, btw), where you really need to ball yourself up and be very, very patient.

JayG -- Please send me the info: nathaniel_bogan AT alum DOT mit DOT edu

D3 X5 Rose, a very forgiving intermediate to advanced ski. Depending how much she weighs on the length. Should be able to get a good deal on a used one. I get up in the fetal position all the time, however I stay on the back of it and almost have my rear dragging in the water to keep my weight on the back of the ski, until the boat picks up enough speed. No sense in wasting energy, let the boat do all the work.