Did ya learn anything this year

Horton

I feel like I learned to really ski this year. I went from making a 22 off at 36 every once in while to tonight I ran two 28s back to back and then ran 5 at 32 off. Some things I contribute this to is working on my two handed gate and bringing my hips to the handle and not pulling hard. I also learned how to get early to the ball and allow the ski to come out from under me and begin to get on the turning edge. This helped me a ton as I was able to get the ski slowed down enought to make a nice turn around the ball.

I love this sport more every time I get behind the boat.

• Baller

When my ski partner jumped on my ski and bindings for the first time and ran 3 at 39, I learned a good skier could run a lot of buoys on a 2x6. :)

But seriously, I learned how to hold on. A year ago, I would have let go when in trouble. This year I'm holding on a LOT more and salvaging buoys and passes.

• Gold Member

I was really focused on handle control this year. I've gained a lot more understanding and muscle memory around this, but I may spend another whole season with it as my primary focus. It feels THAT important for me to advance toward running -38 more than a few times per lifetime and maybe someday doing a little damage at -39.

Net result was the best season of my life by almost any metric (avg, personal best, ranking, regionals place, nationals place, % success at every line length). At age 40 and after almost 20 years of competing, that's saying something.

One of the subtle benefits that I think is under-hyped is that properly controlling the handle leads to a MUCH tighter line. This is because you aren't letting the handle out until you have to let it out because your are skiing away from it. By definition this can only occur against a tight line (else you wouldn't "have" to let it out yet). This has led to taking WAY fewer obnoxious slack hits at -38, even on days where I'm not getting anywhere.

Thank you Bruce Butterfield!! Now go read that handle control article in the Tech section again!

• Baller
I learned too many things to list and it has been the best year of my ski life. I think the most important things were a re-focus on trailing arm pressure; starting on the pull out for the gate; slow down the reach; reach towards the pylon, close on the handle w/hips, concentrate on keeping the ski down and driving it through the 2nd wake. I think the trailing arm pressure precipitated a lot of these other aspects of skiing.

• Baller_

I would like to think that we learn something new every day!

Stand out items I learned this year: Ham Wallace is mortal and does bounce back from jump issues!

I learned that I must ski at least 4 sets a week to maintain, one set every three weeks in the summertime does not cut it.

I learned last Sunday that Clint truly has the Utopia site for water skiing even though it is a hunting lodge.

Last but not least I learned to stay on the handle out to the bouy line and to quit throwing my junk at the Bouy.

Oh! And that ZO still sucks and I still prefer Perfect Pass! But I am getting better with ZO.

• Baller
I've re-learned that 38 is as hard as people say! Also that taking lots of cracks at it takes the stuffing out of a skier. I'm used up. Hard to want it so bad but realize it's time to back off for a bit...well...two days anyway. MS's tourney starts Friday!

• Baller

Always learning! I learned last week (from my wife and full-time driver) that I need to "stay away from the buoy at 38 off". Nice tip! I ran 2 at 39 on Monday, and 1 at 39 on Tuesday on straight thru tournament sets, and ran another 38 Tuesday (although that one took me 3 tries). That is the best consistency I've had in sequential sets and days ever. One was on Stargazer on my public lake portable course, the other two behind ZO on a tournament site. For me, staying away from the buoy is another way of saying control the handle and stay outbound at the end of the rope. Thanks Honey!

I also learned (AGAIN) that I need to be light on the line when I lean in. At shortline I have to lean even lighter with ZO than with Stargazer. In effect I want the boat to not know I'm there. When I pull on ZO the same as Stargazer, I get too fast. If I pull soft and keep my wake speed down, I ski a tighter line and ski way more relaxed.