Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Carbon fin question...

jayski

• Baller
John, di you make a #116 fin? I bought it for my D3 RC back in the day. It has barely been used but I can't find/remember the number. I think it is a fairly stiff fin IIRC. It's about .010" thick. Maybe it's a 106. Could you venture a guess?

• Baller
Not sure about the numbers but I had a 106 and it was sweet , I just dialed in a new SansRival Carbon fin and it is really sweeet! It is thin like the A2 and super stiff vertically, different lay up than the Reflex. The Reflex is thicker also.Really like the Sans Carbon,fast and turns like a Formula 1 car ! What did you think of it Horton ? I know you're still testing the Sans ?

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I've been skiing on an 66" SR2 for the last 6 weeks and absolutely love the ski. I'm currently running the alloy fin on stock settings, and am wondering how the ski will change if I swap it for the carbon fin?

Horton you obviously have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to carbon fins, so if you could pass on some info, that'd be great.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I've been skiing on an 66" SR2 for the last 6 weeks and absolutely love the ski. I'm currently running the alloy fin on stock settings, and am wondering how the ski will change if I swap it for the carbon fin?

Horton you obviously have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to carbon fins, so if you could pass on some info, that'd be great.

• Administrators

The question is not really about materials. The question is about flex and stiffness.

Unfortunately I never skied on the SR carbon fin...I lost it. Swear it is some where in my office.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

The question is not really about materials. The question is about flex and stiffness.

Unfortunately I never skied on the SR carbon fin...I lost it. Swear it is some where in my office.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Ryno,

I have skied both the Metal and Carbon Fin on the SR-2 and prefer the Carbon. Is there a huge difference ? No....The Carbon Fin flexes a little more going into the turn and releases slowly. This makes the turn feel a little smoother and takes a hard edge feeling out of it. Sort of works like a mini shock absorber. Mine has a Forward Mini Ventral and it took a lot of the twitchiness out of the ski when not in the course on edge.

I recently put the Carbon on my HO S-2, with two Ventrals and Love how that ski performs with it. Very little load to keep speed through the course. Turns are unreal, plus the ventrals help keep the nose down and speed up.

Hope this helps, ED

• Baller

Ryno,

I have skied both the Metal and Carbon Fin on the SR-2 and prefer the Carbon. Is there a huge difference ? No....The Carbon Fin flexes a little more going into the turn and releases slowly. This makes the turn feel a little smoother and takes a hard edge feeling out of it. Sort of works like a mini shock absorber. Mine has a Forward Mini Ventral and it took a lot of the twitchiness out of the ski when not in the course on edge.

I recently put the Carbon on my HO S-2, with two Ventrals and Love how that ski performs with it. Very little load to keep speed through the course. Turns are unreal, plus the ventrals help keep the nose down and speed up.

Hope this helps, ED

Thanks Ed,

Aside from the ventral on the front, were the rest of your fin and wing settings stock?

I've gone from a Sixam SS to the SR2 and it's an incredible leap forward in performance. What I especially love about the ski (aside from the obvious speed and turning) is it's ability to ride through the chop. I found the Sixam would bounce if you hit a roller through the course and you'd pretty much have to abort the pass. Not so with the SR2.

Thanks Ed,

Aside from the ventral on the front, were the rest of your fin and wing settings stock?

I've gone from a Sixam SS to the SR2 and it's an incredible leap forward in performance. What I especially love about the ski (aside from the obvious speed and turning) is it's ability to ride through the chop. I found the Sixam would bounce if you hit a roller through the course and you'd pretty much have to abort the pass. Not so with the SR2.

• Baller

Ryno,

Yes, stock fin settings off the Web-site.....6.750...2.50......730...8 degrees.

Also, these same settings worked well on my Nano Mid and the HO S-2. However, the S-2 worked best with a rear Ventral added at 6 degrees. The Nano and SR-2 worked best with the Fwd Mini Ventral and stock rear wing at 8 degrees.

Cool to hear your Down Under. I use to fly 747's to Sydney a lot as an International Airline Capt..... Definitely my favorite layover.

• Baller

Ryno,

Yes, stock fin settings off the Web-site.....6.750...2.50......730...8 degrees.

Also, these same settings worked well on my Nano Mid and the HO S-2. However, the S-2 worked best with a rear Ventral added at 6 degrees. The Nano and SR-2 worked best with the Fwd Mini Ventral and stock rear wing at 8 degrees.

Cool to hear your Down Under. I use to fly 747's to Sydney a lot as an International Airline Capt..... Definitely my favorite layover.

Thanks again Ed,

I just got motivated and cut down an old O'Brien wing to make a front ventral (rather than wait the two weeks for one to arrive from the US). So I'll see how it goes when I next hit the water. I set it up with the stock settings, but only 7 degrees of wing, as that's what I was running on the alloy fin.

I live on the coast about a 2 hour drive south of Sydney, there's plenty of great area's to have a ski, but not much in the way of slalom courses. Glad to hear you're a fan of the area, we love it too.

Thanks again Ed,

I just got motivated and cut down an old O'Brien wing to make a front ventral (rather than wait the two weeks for one to arrive from the US). So I'll see how it goes when I next hit the water. I set it up with the stock settings, but only 7 degrees of wing, as that's what I was running on the alloy fin.

I live on the coast about a 2 hour drive south of Sydney, there's plenty of great area's to have a ski, but not much in the way of slalom courses. Glad to hear you're a fan of the area, we love it too.