I LOVE SKIING!

Than_Bogan

• Baller

I say that with absolutely no sarcasm or irony. Only my family ranks higher on my love scale than waterskiing.

Why do I bring this up right now? Well, it seems a lot of folks, including me, have been rather disappointed with how things worked out at Regionals or Nationals. Based on some of the "responses," it appears some other folks have interpreted us to be Negative Nellies or Whiners or choose-your-name-for-it.

I'll accept that, but there's a reason I'm interested in The Negative. The Negative is where room for improvement can be found. If I were doing everything perfectly, then I could never get better. For this reason, I usually value criticism more than praise.

Unfortunately, some folks use the word "criticism" to imply meanness or other malicious intent. And even more unfortunately, some people do in fact mean it that way.

I do not.

Any time I bring up anything negative, it's with an eye toward improving it. (Well, unless I'm making fun of Horton. That's just for entertainment.)

I LOVE SKIING and another thing I love is trying to make things better.

• Baller
Going to Nationals made me remember why I love waterskiing. Not being able to walk 20ft without seeing an old friend, someone who helped me when I was young, or just someone I needed to catch up with, as well as the addition of meeting new friends through mutual acquaintances. It's also surprising how you can not talk to someone for months at a time, but step right into a best friend conversation the minute you see them. There's such an underlying and underground respect for each other, that I feel fortunate to have and experience it, and I've only 3 event competitive waterskiing to thank.

• Baller

@Wish HAH! As many know, I am also a meganerd. That particular guy is a Warforged Rogue named Vrol, from Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO). (Hint: World of Warcraft players consider DDO players to be nerds...) He's quite friendly -- well unless you are Evil, of course.

@unksskis Ditto. My own skiing at Nationals is an afterthought compared to all the awesome aspects you mentioned.

• Baller
I agree Than -- I love skiing too. This morning before work I jumped in for my opener at 28 off. Got to the other end of the course and when my wife dropped me to shorten I just smiled and said "man that's fun!". To be out on the lake at 6:30 in the morning gliding across the water is a blast! Of course, shortening the line is great fun too, but someday when I'm too old to shorten the line anymore, I hope I still have just as much fun just being on the lake behind the boat and running whatever pass my beat up body will let me.

I ski with a guy who is 63 or 64, He was struggling with 35 off this spring and he would be extremely pumped after running it. He would say "there are only a finite number of those left in me". A few days ago he ran 2 at 38 off the dock. Pretty impressed. He also ski's year round with me in the Pac NW.

• Baller
At the 2010 Southern Regionals I saw a little girl sitting in her dad's car crying. I walked up and asked "what's wrong"? She told me that she hadn't ridden out any of her jumps. I got her attention and said to her that it was a "great day". That turned her head and prompted her to ask "why"? I told her that "It's a great day any time you can go to the lake and go water skiing". I proceeded to get a smile and the tears went away. Any day you can go to the lake and go water skiing is a great day, especially when you are surrounded by good friends that share the same passion. I have been skiing for 53 years and love it more each year. And yes, I agree with Sully's buddy. I know that there are only a finite number of jumps and slalom passes left in me. I can't wait for the next ones.

• Baller
I blew out my back two months ago and tricked yesterday and rode the slalom today. I have really missed it. I have surgery scheduled in a little less than two months but I am going to try and ski and see if I can survive the pain until then. That is how much I love and have missed skiing this summer.