Clearing/Resetting the mind

501Brandon

When your day is going crappy and you cant get a set going in a positive direction, is there anything inparticular that you do to clear your head and reset your thought process? I had a pretty good day Sunday then today I cant do anything? I feel like I am moving a million miles per hour and cant put anything together!!! Very frustrating and seems to whack my confidence down a bit? I tried to just do one thing or concentrate on just one thing and it went right out the window on my pullout...

• Baller
The one most important thing to think about, before anything else is your pullout and gate. Sometimes you're thinking so hard about working on "3 ball turn" or "countering at 4" you neglect the gate. It's got to be good or everything becomes a chase.

• Baller
Don't think too much. Some days I go out and "think my way" through the course. That's OK when you are working on something in particular. However, too much of it chops the course up into too many little pieces, the pull out, the gate, the pre-turn, the turn, the hook up, etc. Your mind knows what to do, and your body knows what good skiing feels like. Try feeling more and thinking less. I agree with Marco, just think about a wide gate with the right amount of angle, and then let your feel take over the rest of the way down the line.

• Baller_
Scream, swear a lot, slap the water, throw the ski, utter words like "I'm done with this @&$)(@"/ sport", tantrum a bit in the boat or on the dock, get looks from the driver and crew like your some 5 yr old not getn that toy from the store. Ya, ya that usually clears my head.

• Gold Member

Get back in the boat. Continuing to work when nothing feels right is totally unproductive.

The good news is the next time you go could be completely different again -- hopefully for the better! One of the weirdest things in this sport is how two consecutive practice sessions can be totally uncorrelated.

If it only feels "a little" off, go back to your opening pass and just do that until it feels better (or stop if it never does after a few).

Last little tidbit: Don't hate yourself for being angry. That's part of it. Just make sure you don't direct that anger toward any civilian targets!!

• Baller
Sometimes I just say...and this is directed entirely at the boat which is could care less how I feel and what it is doing to me....."alright you want to "F" with me you "MFer"; I'll show you who is boss" then I go out and pull my guts out as hard as I can for a pass; not caring if I fall or blow up in a yard sale or whatever. One of two things happens....I fall and get in the boat; or, i run the pass-my intensity is where it needs to be-and I am more relaxed on the next pass because I have exerted a lot of pent up frustration and energy. Oh yea, and the boat crew gets a good laugh from it...one way or another; so there is an intrinsic entertainment value attached.

Wish... Were you the guy watching me? You were the guy on the bank laughing and shaking his head in disgust werent you?!

The hardest part for me is (and probably everone else) is knowing what I can do... Not just going out and getting to or near PB lengths but I feel really good or had been feeling really good/confident starting at 34 22' and didnt question my ability here and have ran more than a handful of 28's and one 32' (sunday). Skiing crappy on 2-3 outings seems to blow my confidence. Thanks for all the other inputs, I may try the "get in" method a couple times and regroup...

• Baller
If it's really bad I go jump. Frustration is good for at least 10 feet. If I really want to get mad i'll go trick. Sometimes i'll two hand the pass, just work on gates, trick slalom, or slow the boat down. If that doesn't work I go with skibugs approach and start dropping f bombs.

• Baller
Put it all in perspective. It happens all the time to me that I ski great on one day and the next I would be better off on a pair of combos! Normally I find that if my set is going that badly I have to just put the ski away for a while and clear my head. Next time out usually goes much better and the frustration is gone. I will often switch to tricking when this happens.