Ski bouncing really bad on offside

Justin_C

• Baller
So I'm wondering what adjustments I should make on my ski (bindings or fin) because I'm getting used to a new ski and my onside turns are getting very comfortable but my offside is bouncing A LOT. It has sent me out the front on two occasions this morning (one of which possibly spraining my ankle). I changed the fin up a bit and that didn't seem to help so I'm going to move the bindings back a bit and see what that does once my ankle stops killing me. Input appreciated!

• Baller

I bought the ski used so it wasn't in the stock position but Matt Rini gave me some measurements and it's at

9 degrees

it's a 66 inch Radar MPD and I'm roughly 5'8, 140lbs.

The feeling it's giving me is at the completion of my turn it almost feels like I'm hitting some rollers and then I feel some water hitting my face as I go over the front, feet come out of bindings, sky all of a sudden looks like it's the ground... we've all been there.

• Baller
I've had this exact experience on a few different skis (D3 RCX, Strada, and my current ski, A2). Our course tends to have a few small rollers through it on subsequent passes, but even on the first pass of a set, I've experienced the bounce on my off side that you have. The common theme on each of these skis is my body position into and out off the ball. I've really had to work on countering into the ball and skiing back to the handle with my shoulders open to the boat at the completion of the turn. If I do that, I can ski through the rollers, even on my harder passes, or eliminate the bounce when there aren't any rollers (and I've gone OTF on some of these bounces in calm water). I believe fin settings are important, but for me this problem occurs on top of the ski.

• Baller
would bringing the fin back at all help? Also, I brought my front binding back, should that help with it at all or should I bring it forward, if anything. From what I'm reading, that hopping sounds like there isn't enough pressure on the tip. If this is the case, I should probably put it back to centre, if not move it ahead a bit eh? (yes, I'm Canadian) Anyway, I really want to figure this out but my ankle has blown up like a balloon from my crash earlier so I probably won't get a chance to test out any changes until the middle of the week or next weekend.

• Baller
Thanks for the input. I got things figured out and it wasn't the fin settings that were causing it (well they may have been contributing) but I just moved the bindings back one hole from 28.5 to 28.25 and it all went away. Stupid me for not listening... "Always move the bindings before the fin"