I tried Horton's advice but it almost killed me.

jackski

• Baller

Ok, so it didn't -quite. After having a tournament at our place on Saturday, and not having another for 2 weeks, it seemed like a good idea to try Horton's no wing setup. - Nano, took wing off, left front vental on.

First set I was cautious, but it went well. I actually liked it a lot. Ran a couple @ 35 which is close to what I've been doing on the Nano (down a pass from last year on 9700). Second set I decided all was well so I put a little more into it. Bad mistake, OTF on the second wake, reinjured sholder and tore my vest a new armhole. My physiotherapist will be glad to see me back though.

I like the feel of no wing because the ski carries out very easily, something I.ve been having a hard time with, but my question is, next time I try this do I get rid of the ventral or deepen the fin ???

• Baller
When you take the wing off, always deepen the fin. Without the wing, the tail of the ski will ride higher and therefore (possibly) be less stable. And, the idea behind the ventral is to provide lift of the tail (and flatten the attitude of the ski) so by leaving the ventral on, the tail is riding even higher.

• Baller_
So we did have the same crash. I did the same thing. Was thinkn the same thing as to carry out being better. If the ventral keeps the tip down like everyone says and I've experienced than I would think it would stand to reason that without a lower wing the tail is being forced up. Just a guess though. So what's the answer??

• Baller

Jdarwin - I agree, I would have done that but I didn't think it would be as dramatic.

Wish and MS - I'll try some depth first, if that dosen't do it, off with the ventral - It's just an experiment.

DW - the Nano is a F1 car the 9700 was a sedan. I'm not sure yet that I have the skill to tame it. The Nano is far less forgiving of small mistakes as it reflects even the smallest inputs, good or bad. However, with wing on, it's almost impossible to loose an edge. It also feels like it has more rocker and a shorter flat in the middle. I have been skiing with Star Gazer, but I did ski with ZO and the developing PP version of the ZO simulator last week. That made the ski change personalities. It was far more stable and decelerated where it should allowing it to make a nice smooth turn. Skied C1.

• Baller_
@jackski "ski.....developing PP version of the ZO simulator". U skied it?? Tell us more. What's the add on.? Oh and looking forward to your feedback after fin changes and it's affect with the VW only.

• Baller

I was at Eric's last week and skied 10 passes switching between ZO and the ZO simulator that's in development. He's been working on it on and off for some time. A few of us here have tried it as we're all within 15 minutes of Eric's. It's been tweeked over the last while and even between passes. I couldn't tell the diff in the end, but I only ran my 35. Because it's only in development I probably shouldn't say anything about it but I can say it will be simple.

BTW, loved the pull, steady & correct speed into the course, pull only when you pull, and then shuts down smoothly so you can change edge and carry out. Made my passes feel easy, made the ski feel more in control.