Mastercraft wake

Than_Bogan

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Something no one has addressed in this thread that I thought I'd bring up. When I bought my current boat used ('05 RLXI) I was told by the guy I bought it from (active Air Force pilot, flew F-16's in Desert Storm, pretty sharp guy) that for the '03 - 06 LXI hulls there were 4 moulds, two in Tennessee and two in California. Reportedly (supposedly) one of the California moulds had something screwed up with it which made the wake different and reportedly harder from the others. So if you got a California LXI you had a 50/50 chance of getting the "bad" one. Mine is a Tennessee boat FWIW. Just wondering if this might be an issue?

Ed

• Baller
@LeonL - the 15 years I spent on Nautiques promo team proved to me that no two boats are alike. If the engine is mounted 1/8" left/right/forward/backward, it can dramatically affect the drive/wake. I had a couple of boats during that run that were not quite right. And, I had some (2004 in particular) that were awesome. We move our bindings 1/8" and feel a significant change - same theory applies here.

• Baller_
Add to JD's commnets on the assembly side variation the potential for mold variation and there are thousands of small variations that can and will make a difference in how a boat performs. Mold making is one of the more sensitive process' to material variation, temperature and humidity control. Formula One race cars suffer mold variation that leads to drivers picking a favority chassis and those companies have amazingly stringent controls on all the process' which ends up providing a mold based product costing millions of dollars. So, unfortunately for us, some variation is expected.

• Baller
I've just started skiing again recently and mostly been skiing 15off, up to 34mph. I've taken a few tries at 22 and 28 off. I've been skiing behind a newer Reponse LXI, older American skier, and a 08 MC197 TT. The 197 has a noticeably bigger wake at 15 off, the first time 28 off 34 on the MC hurt me pretty bad, I crashed as a result of the wake - the hardness of the wake really surprised me. I hadn't really noticed the wake on the other boats. I was a MC promo member in the late 80's early 90s, I remember those boats having pretty nice wakes. For what these new boats cost I'd have to say I expect more of them.

• Baller
This discussion is one of the reasons I hold on to my 2005 197 TT. It doesn't have ZO (Stargazer), but the rudder is set up absolutely perfect, the MCX engine still pulls like new (it gets two to three oil changes/season plus a full tune up every 2 seasons), and the wakes are awesome. My wife commented that we should think about a new one to get ZO. I told her I was not confident that you could get a boat set up as well as this one is, so I am reluctant to change just to get ZO. Besides, I actually ski better scores behind ZO!

• Baller
I skied two sets yesterday morning, one on my 05TT and one on the 2011TT. ZO was on C1, 05 is still PP. If the boats were identical colors, I doubt I could tell the difference at 28, 32, 35.... I'm in the same boat as Razorskier1 except my wife has absolutely no interest in a newer boat! My 197 skis great and I wouldn't hestitate to buy the 2011 promo running in my neck of the woods.

There are a lot of factors in wake shape and size and in my opinion the set up is critical just as it is on waterskis. How many different setting, wings no wings, ventrals, slot fins ....Not to mention bindings or boots. .

All of the big 3 have great boats and small wakes, you just might have to make some adjustments to the settings and or swap out some parts.

Typically factory's ship the boat with the prop removed due to possible theft in shipping. The dealers are suppose to put everything together for the customer. I bought a new 2003 PS-197 that had a horrible wake that was caused by the dealer mixing up my prop with that of a wakeboard boat. It was all corrected in the end and it was a sweet boat with a great wake.

Prop swapping is a constant source of headaches for the factory as some dealers seem to think that they should just slap Acmes on the boats when they were designed and tested using OJ, although that shouldn't be an issue with any tournament boat if the officials are doing their jobs since the MC is only certified to run using OJ.

Klinger August 2 Permalink Flag

You can order the prop through your dealer or through any OJ supplier. The prop is not on OJ's website yet, but they do have them in stock as of last week. The 13x14.5 is the recommended prop for the 2011 MC Boat. It raises rpm's around 100-150 at 36 mph for slalom but gives a better holeshot. I think it skis great.

Thanks Klinger - I tried this new prop on my new 2011 WTT and it is a keeper! Although I must say the MC factory prop, 438–13.7X15LC.080, worked great and all my ski buds raved about the great wakes, this one works better out of the hole and is a bit lower and smoother across the wakes.

My 13 year old daughter set a new PB yesterday picking up 4 buoys. 2@32mph@15off !!