Changing the Fuel Filter 2008 Malibu Response

kfennell

We need to change the fuel filter on our 2008 Malibu Response with the monsoon 340 and I have 2 questions.

1. Where is it? It is supposed to be visible by opening the small hatch that is in the trunk I thought, however we don't see it when you get that open. I also dont see it when you pull up the rear floor section. Will i need to remove the floor of the trunk to see it?

2. What part number do I need, the local malibu dealer is worse then retarded, does anyone know for sure that filter I need for a 2008 Response with the Monsoon 340?

• Baller
I have an 01 Response, so it might not translate to your 08, but on mine, I have a cannister fuel filter (NAPA 3481)on the block just in front of the fuel pump, and a small filter (NAPA 3033) mounted next to the shutoff at the tank. To access it, I had to remove the rear panel in the ski locker, which is a PITA, because the screws are hard to find burried in the carpet of the panel. I didn't even know I had a fliter there for several years, and only found out about it after it started to clog.

• Baller

Ok, I've done it in my 07, easy job. first you must releave the pressure on the fuel line by pressing the schrader valve (like bike tube valve) on the fuel rail and you will need a couple of paper towels to catch the small amount of spilt fuel. Also do this with engine cold.

Then in the trunk you will see where the fuel line goes into the pump in the tank, (under small hinged hatch) so you will need a snap ring tool and remove the snap ring at the tank and this will allow you to pull the fuel line up a couple of inches so you can remove the old filter and replace with the new one. Please have lots of rags handy as some fuel will spill. You will need a wix 33299 filter or Napa 3299 is the same one. Having this in your hand will help explain a bit of this as it's quite small and pulls out (needle nose plyers will help) and drops into the location once you remove the snap ring and pull up on the fuel line. You don't need to remove anything in the trunk as you can access this from the small hatch. You don't have to remove the fuel pump either as it's much easier and less work to simply pull the snap ring off and exchange filters. Total is about a 5 minute job that I do every other year. It is a bit tight to fit your finger on the schrader valve but it's doable. Also make sure when you re-install the snap ring it's in seated in well as there is about 60psi of pressure on the fuel and will make a mess in a hurry if it's not seated correctly. Good luck and trust me it's easy....I know it's hard to trust a guy that says trust me, but seriously trust me. there may be photos on themalibecrew forum, but it's simple. good luck.