Adam Cord leaves O'Brien?

skibug

• Administrators

Yea true story. I think he wanted to keep it quiet but yea.

I think he wants to something more normal (less trips to Florida and China) now that he is an old married man.

• Baller
Is the Elite program a functioning entity any longer? They have boots w/ full page advertising that you cannot get. A ski (Quatro) you cannot get. The "Experience" is still available but you really don't know what you are getting (2009/2010/2011?). They title sponsor an event (Big Dawg) where 2 out of 50 skiers were on their product. That should tell you something, huh? Do they just sell gloves and vests? The doer and the thinker - no allotment for the other.

• Baller
Me too - one of the prototypes is sitting 10 minutes away. Not what I'm referring to. I would like to see (and ski) the final product. They should send Ward one for free - he's been a loyal soldier while the company flounders.

• Baller
The Quattro didn,t suit me, perhaps I have no right to comment as I am not the best waterskier around, I hope I am wrong because I wish O,brien well, but I would be very surprised if they flew off the shelves, I withdraw the Hmmmm comment and will leave people to make thieir own minds up, apologies for any offence.

• Baller

Or though it is different technology, I would say it felt a bit like the connelly course, whooah thought I would never utter those words again, LOL, the ski was fast, it ran on autopilot, but didn,t feel like you could do anything with it if you were in trouble, if you were a pro and placed it in the right place everytime you went into the course, all you would have to do is stand on it, but the ski had no soul, it felt like I was standing on a steel girder, it felt like it was on rails but would not deviate from those rails, it didn,t set me alight, it didnt scream more bouys and didnt scream buy me, I flew some distance to Florida to buy the ski, but was dissappointed the moment I stood on it, It didnt feel like an O,brien.

I went home with the A2 instead, that felt like it had potential.

O'Brien is going down.Check out the Elite website, it still says spring 2010! Cord is getting out cause he sees the writing on the wall. I have not seen a O'Brien at a boat show since 2002, I have not seen a new one on my lake since I don't know when, my dealer stopped carrying them. Sad but true.

• Baller

First I get a Fischer in '07- then an Elite next at the end of '10. I guess I have a knack for choosing soon to be extint manufacturers...

Actually, both skiis still ski incredible! I hope the Obrien rumors are not true!

• Baller
I would think a big company like O'Brien would have enough diversity in products to weather a storm. Maybe high end slalom is hurting; but, what about tubes, knee boards, cloths, lower end skis....etc.

Kent Water Sports in New London, Ohio is the majority owner of HO, O'brien, Connelly as well as their wake boarding counterparts. John and Bob Archer are president and CEO. They also own Full Throttle and Onyx.

• Baller
That was meant as a hypathetical comment about high end slalom....I didn't mean to infer that they were. Just meant it as an example. Substitute tubes, knee boards, etc. Plus isn't O'Brien part of a larger conglomerate?

• Baller

"They should send Ward one for free - he's been a loyal soldier while the company flounders."-jdarwin

I couldn't agree more. Ward McLane is within a buoy or two of the 34 mph world record and ranked #3 in M3 in the whole country and he does not get anything (that I know of) from Obrien. That is amazing. I would think they would want to send him skis to try and test. Many skiers ride the Elite because Ward promotes it.