Hey Dawg, What are your Elite settings?

Horton

• Baller

Horton, thanks for heading this up.

Dawg, I originally asked Horton for some numbers on the Elite; hence his inquiry to you. Also, do either of you know about the "Alpha" vs the "Experience"? It seems as though they tweaked the Elite for 2011 and now that one is called "Alpha" and the original is called "Experience"; from what I can gather looking online at ski shops. Any information on the differences?

• Baller

I think the difference is price and manufacturing process (Adam can elaborate). They were gonna make the rtm elite and a traditional layup version (to allow for different price points). Adam can once again elaborate.

Right now I am on the 68.5 rtm elite. my length-tips-6.835; dft .785-flat (my dft varies from .78-.79); and depth 2.504 ( I have skied up to 2.510 depth, but shallower feels a bit better now) Hope this helps, my numbers were just about the same on the 67, just less dft.

• Baller

That is great infomation. If I may ask; why the 68.5" over the 67"? At 34 mph the shallower fin seems like a good starting place.

The is no price difference in the two skis....both retail for $1999.99. What I heard was they tweaked the bevels for 2011; but, I don't know if this is true or not? Hopefully Adam will jump in and clear it up.

I spoke with Adam a few weeks ago about the new skis.

and this is my understanding

Elite Experience is the 09-10 ski and the Elite Alpha is the 2010-2011-Current Ski.

The ski SkiDawg is talking about is the new Elite ENDO that is compression molded rather than RTM. Same ski as the Elite Alpha but not RTM.

The 2010-2011 shape was retooled on the 68.5

2009 is a different shape and flex from the 2010- 2011 68.5 Only

2010-2011 Same shape with updated flex for 67 and 65.5 IIRC

The flex on the newer skis creates a longer sweet spot and the ski is a bit faster.

• Baller
I have the same problem as Horton.....i may have to try both lengths. I understand the the actual measurement of the 67" is more like 67.5" which is why it was suggested to me rather than that 68.5" which I understand measures closer to 69". I am trying to factor in my shortness to the equation vs ski stiffness and turning ability. I am currently on a 68" Nomad RC...turns better than any ski I have ever ridden. I just want something to turn as well but get across course with a little more speed. Since the Elite is a stiffer ski, I figured I could ride something a little smaller; yet, get the speed I want cross course...I may be all screwed up...but that is the fun in riding a bunch of skis I guess.

• Baller
Dawg, I am 198 to 200 Lbs. - 34mph skier. I will probably try both the 67" and 68.5" skis to get a feel for each. I am in the process of finding my new ride; so, I will take this opportunity to ride a few before I decide.

@Ed_Johnson The Quattro is not intended to replace the Elite Alpha, but rather give more options to the consumer.

More or less it is the same ski but with a wider tip. This is designed for us skiers that Hop on the front of there skis in the turn. If you get on the tip of the Quattro it will continue to ride the rail that it was on unchanged. (especially on your offside). There are a few Quattros floating around here on the forums. maybe some of those can comment on there experience with the ski.

• Baller
Ok, got the first ski to try...any tricks on setting up the fin? It is definitely no where near where it needs to be. I knew this fin block didn't have set screws (still can't figure out why); but, if you have any adjustment advise, it would be much appreciated. Other than trial and error.

• Baller
Yea, I know about the comment on patents; but.....just about every other ski manufacturer (D3, Goode, San Rival, HO, Radar etc.) has set screw fin blocks and I can't belive they are all patented individually since the concept is all the same.

• Baller
I will be tweaking for a while tonight. Maybe I will set the DFT 1st and then use a piece of painters tape across the back of the fin slot, taped to the ski bottom, to mark the DFT; then one on the front side of the fin to mark the length. That way I can somewhat maintain two reference points and only have to worry about depth. The tape would obviously have to be removed before skiing.

• Baller
@skibug um well a little of both. I am not tweaker by any means. I actually would have to look up what to do with my fin if I wanted to move it... My coach has not said anything about moving them so I trust his judgement. And its a bit of a PITA to do it. I wonder if a D3 or HO, radar... block would fit the inserts....

@block I have been on the 2011 for 2 weeks only. The only diffrence I have found is it turns much better, I feel it more on my offside. That might be because the sweet spot is larger. I dont know.

I am only at 22off and 28off-36 so someone who has been on the 2011 might be able to give a better comment.

@MattP They are not all the same company. Just the same majority shareholders.

From Kentwatersports.com

Starting in 2001, the Shareholders of Kent started several corporations that acquired the assets of other popular water sports corporations and their respective brands. Some of these include Connelly, CWB, HO, Hyperlite, O’Brien, Liquid Force, Straight Line and Wakekite, all specializing in a full line of high action recreational water sports products including wakeboards, kneeboards, kiteboards, towable tubes, skis, ropes and life jackets.

• Baller
Just got done adjusting the new Elite; took my about 1/2 hour to get it as close as possible to the numbers stated earlier by Skidawg (mine at 2.502, 6.838, .778); we'll see what she feels like tomorrow. If she is a keeper, I will be making my own fin block, WITH SET SCREWS, for when I want/need to adjust.