Women's Speed

sammgarrity

Hi!

I'm some-what new to the slalom course... I've been skiing for 7 years, but only slalom for 1, and I was wondering why women cannot go 36 mph if they complete their 34 mph pass? I'm nowhere near that right now, but hopefully I will be soon. I've been trying to find the answer, but cannot. I have a hunch of what it is... that we're "too fragile". I'm also wondering why hasn't it been changed?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

• Baller
Its in the rules. Generally if the majority of the skiers want a rule change the power that be will do it.(at least AWSA, IWWF is a whole different ball game) I good example is the just raised the mens 4 jump speed. The reality is no one has been asking for it. I think the women like running shorter line lengths that 34 allows them to do.

• Baller

I don't know the original reason, but I know a lot of female competitors and I've never really heard anyone clamoring to go to 36. I can tell you that when I first got through 34, I would have found it a lot more fun to shorten to -22 than to go on to 36, which at first felt more like 136. Of course, eventually you get used to it, and you'll hear a lot of 35-year-old males wishing they could stay at 36.

For me personally, I would say that 34 and 36 are exactly equally fun. The challenge level is identical, since you just shorten the rope until that's true! 36 makes you think and react a little faster, but 34 confronts you with a shorter line length, which requires you to be more precise in your line through the course.

As far as fragility being the reason, I sure don't think so. I gotta say that 34 is often harder on the body than 36. For me I went from -35 being my "miracle" pass to -38 taking that role, and the slack hits at 34/-38 are a lot meaner than they are at 36/-35.

• Baller

[Thread hijack alert!] My opinion is that fewer speeds is better, for the simple reason of being able to compare. If I see Big Dawgers running some score at 35, I'll have only a slight clue what it means, since I've never skied at 35 in my life and probably never will. With them skiing at 34, I can always aspire to match their scores. (Not saying I will, just that I can aspire to it, which I consider a very good thing.)

Note that I'd be fine to switch us ALL to 35. I just don't want the very best old guys skiing a different speed than the next tier of old guys.

Btw, while I think Big Dawg is great, I would make it a rule that either ALL men are in MM, or none are. I think it's goofy to contest age categories at Regionals/Nationals, but not have a clear winner because some -- but not all -- of the top skiers competed in MM instead.

Back @sammgarrity: You're quite welcome. And I'll bet 50 cents right now that you'll change your mind after running 34 mph. Shortening the rope is just more fun. Of course, I understand the desire to be able to say "I did it," but since we're ultimately all in this for the Fun Factor, I'll keep my 50 cent bet placed :).