Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Good ski bathing suit?

Than_Bogan

• Baller

What's a moderately fashionable suit that doesn't balloon up when taking off? My back has too many recently-herniated discs for suits that fill with water, but I'd like to wear something from at least the most recent twenty years...

Also durability is important. I wanna wear these for the NEXT twenty...

• Baller

Thanks all.

Why are the Eagle ones $20 cheaper? Obviously I'd prefer to spend less money, but a 40% price difference seems worth asking about. If those are just as good, I can see why they are selling fast!

Also: Anyone have any info on sizing for a given brand? The last time I bought some Superfreaks (years ago), I had to get them in 32 even though my actual waist is between 33 and 34.

• Baller
@Than Bogan The Eagle shorts most likely aren't made with materials that stretch. I'll never buy a pair of board shorts that aren't made to stretch. You'll never have the water parachute again. Billabong, O'neill, Rip Curl, Rusty, Hurley make them.

• Baller

Than, I sent you a PM. I'm local to you and have a new pair of 34 black/white Hyperfreaks w/ tags if you are interested (bought this winter, but dropped 15lbs so they won't fit me). Blue Light special (half price).

IMO, the Hyperfreaks seem pretty true to size...if anything, maybe only just a smidge large.

• Baller_

Shoot I just buy plain ole K-mart off the rack board shorts! 4 pairs for $30 on close out table. They look just like the spendy billa-bonk or sho-neil and the Crusty's. even look like the slip-curl .

Some of them even come with bottle openers.

I have tried the target version also, but they are not of the same quality. IMO, it is worth it to spend the money on a few pairs that you like and are comfortable. They will last for a long time. The target ones I had fell apart within a few months. I personally like Rip-Curl, Hurley, and Jet-Pilots.

• Baller
I just got a couple of pairs of Hurley System 120's for Father's Day and they are super comfortable with no ballooning. But they are real pricy. They appear to run a little large so buy them one size smaller than you usually wear.

• Baller

Everyone gave me grief about the Minnesotan wearing a shorty wetsuit at a tourney in Pensacola. I hate ballooning, and I ski sites w/short set-ups at home so no time to re-adjust before pull out.

I found drastic difference in cut of the various brands such that I won't order online. Some 32's fit like 34's, others are for some anorexic wakeboarder in the legs and butt. I gotta try 'em on live to be sure they fit.

I love stretchy board shorts, and usually I try to make sure they have 4 way stretch. I recently bought some Body Glove board shorts that have 4 way stretch and are pretty nice for around $25 at TJ Maxx. The fabric is a little thin on them though.

Yesterday I was able to find a killer deal on some Oniell Super Freaks and Hyper Freaks from killerdana.com. If you look you can also find a 20% off coupon code you can use and bring the price down further. I think I ended up paying $32 each. The oniell Freaks are probably the best shorts I have tried.

• Baller_
So intrigued by "stretchy" board shorts, I just stopped by TJMax to see if they had them. Never had, seen or heard of these. Found the only pair they had. All others.. normal material. Alpinestars Tech boardshorts. I looked them up. Ridiculously expensive $66pair. Alpinestar.com. I paid $14. Worth the risk. They stretch like crazy. Reminds me of cycle shorts material or Underarmer material. Will see how they work. My complaint with most is the ballooning with water when getting up out of the water..huge drag.

• Baller
I prefer Birthday Suits. They're free and you'll never have to remember to throw them in with your gear. I'm not sure if they meet your requirement for being fashionable. Definitely entertaining, just not fashionable. Just make sure you apply extra sun screen! Oh, and watch out for fish, water fowl, or boat spray!

• Baller
go with a stretch material, they're lightweight, don't hold the water, dry faster, and nowadays companies make them more durable. Hyperfreak's from Oneill, Reef has some nice style ones, and Billabong has some as well. I always down size an inch on the waist size, as they stretch and will start to fall off if you get your normal pants waist size.

• Baller_
Ok just skied for the first time in stretchy board shorts and wow they are great. They do not ballon up with water at all when getting up. I had my wife take out some of the billow in 2 pair of regular BillaBong shorts and at times even they catch water but not these. Not sure I'd shell out $66 which was retail but I'll keep hunting TJmax, Marshels and Ross. Will not buy anything that's not stretch. Cool.

• Baller
The key is the material. Can't verbally describe it, but if you feel the material is must be soft. Go in a store and feel several brands/styles and you'll feel the difference. Soft material won't parachute, stiffer? will.

Nothing complicates my attempt to ski more than ballooning shorts. They turn my disposition downright irritable. I have a pair of old favorites that need replacing. I tried several new pair that ballooned significantly and I ended up skiing in my Under Armour underwear that day (yes I have pictures to prove it and yes the water was freezing cold that day :) I'll try to round up some of the Hyperfreaks this weekend.

I skied in hyperfreaks Monday for the first time and also made my first full pass at 30 mph (remember I'm a greenhorn). Coincidence??? They were as advertised, no ballooning, and it felt like I was skiing in my birthday suit. I'm sold on them!