A2 Test Rides 16 -17

Horton

• Administrators

I left the test A2 in Louisiana for some Original Ballers to try. While I was waiting for the ski to get back to me, I rode some old favorite skis. 2 sets on MPD, 3 sets on Prophecy and 2 sets on Elite. This basically cleared my head of what to expect from the A2.

Ride 16 was funky. So much so that I sent some text messages asking if the guys had moved the fin. I did not think so but had to ask. (setting notes were at home) The ski felt ok but not the way I remembered it. I found myself pushing at the apex to get the ski to turn and being un-stacked as a result.

Ride 17 (Dark:30) I made a point to move forward on the ski between the wakes and the ball. This is the A2 that I know. With my further weight forward of center than Ride 16, the ski came alive. The ski initiates the arc back to the wakes early and draws and smooth line back to the wakes. The result is more angle and less effort to be wide and early.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

I rode the A2 at dawgs place (old oaks) and loved it. Horton wrote, The ski initiates the arc back to the wakes early and draws and smooth line back to the wakes. The result is more angle and less effort to be wide and early.

I would agree with that and add that it is a very stable feeling ski.

• Administrators

Sorry about the lack of fin numbers. Seems my notebook and keyboard are not together much lately.

I am close to but not exactly at. Think I am shallower and need to be deeper.

.78 DFT

2.503 Deep

6.835 tips

29 1/2

I looked at the fin slot of my A2 last night. True it is not a super tight fit but that is typical of many skis. I have trouble believing it impacts performance. The older HOs have a molded in fin box that looks better but actually allows for more fin flex.

@Bruce55 If you are really unhappy with the ski I say move on. There is no perfect ski for everyone. I do know I like the A2 a lot when I move forward as I approach the ball. If I am static or a little back I am not so happy and you have to be aggressive - can not ski ball to ball

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Greg Badal re-set the fin on my Wife's A2 over the weekend. He moved the fin up a little more then before. Said they are finding they don't have to be that deep. Might be something to try. I can measure it tonight and post.

She skied it last night and ran her first 34 of the year like it was her opener. She said the ski is turning a lot better on her off side.

• Baller

Horton,

How 'bout one or two sentences on you thoughts when you hoped on each of the old faithful skis? I know it's off topic, but I'm interested. I still think the Prophecy is one of the most fun skis I ever rode. If I come across one for cheap I might buy it just for a giggles ride now and again.

• Administrators

MPD was quirky as I remembered. One ride I was “En Fuego” and the next I felt like Jerry Lewis. It is unreal fast and when I am in the right spot. Super suckeee when I was not in exactly the right spot. Makes the balls feel narrow. The summer I skied on it, I skied the best of my life and the most inconsistent of my life.

Prophecy is a ton of work but is always turning. Forces you to control your shoulders at the ball and control the handle more than any other ski. It is way different than any other ski out there. I still think that if I trained on it for a month and then went to more forgiving ski, I would kick some balls. It is on my fav list.

Elite. Smok’n fast across and smooth but fast turning. Turns are a little radical. I was really stoked with it. I had forgotten how really good it is. Of the three it is the one I would be happy to ride long term.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I rode Horton's A2 yesterday. I have been riding a Radar Vice and the A2 was an easy transition. I was surprised how easy it is to get wide and yet it felt very stable. The off-side turns may need to be toned down with a fin adjustment. I tried to get him to leave it here for a few more rides and of course he refused. I told him 25 rides for a ski test was excessive but he was not buying it.

He rode the Vice and my wife said I looked better on his ski and he looked better on mine. She suggested we trade (nice try) but again, no luck.

Anyone else liking the A2? What numbers are you running on the fin? Wing or no wing? Horton told me take the wing off my Vice but is putting it back on his A2.

I'm still struggling with mine. When I ski well it's good and when not...

My opening pass is 55 at 15 off then 58 at 15 off that is normally my 1st 2 passes and I should run them 1 after the other easily. Then I shorten and get stuck immediately when I get to 28 off. On the A2 I have only got to 28 off a couple of times but the strange thing is that 1 day I ski well and then for example last Friday I missed my opening pass 3 times in a row!! If I am slightly on the back foot coming out of the turn it's all over!

I know a guy on it who runs into 38 off and he loves it. I know a few skiers around my level with it who are all struggling. I'm on a 66.5 and quite often feel like I'm about to come OTF and have had 2 impressive crashes. Gonna try some different numbers this weekend (currently running ho's stock) but if things don't go better soon I think I'll be going back to my sixam.

All factory settings, wing, fin and boots. just ride it for a while and you'll like it better with each ride. I think our body's muscle memory gets confused when we don't spend enough time on a ski and tries to move in the way it was use to on our old ski. Stop tweaking on the ski and just ride it!

BTW - Once you get your hands on one of John's test skis and you love it, don't give it back and just send him a check!

• Baller

would a "tiny bit" be a technical term? I am getting an A2 (67.5") to demo. I noticed that everyone seems to be at 29.375" to 29.50" which is .5" or better back from stock. That is a significant amount. A lot of times the fin numbers might differ greatly; but, binding position is relative to the rocker and designed to be in the sweet spot based on that design. Anyone have any reasoning as to why this seems to be where a lot of people are landing?

Also, Scoke's numbers are a bit different than the rest of the sets of numbers I have seen; has anyone tried those?

• Baller
got my A2...here is a pic of the fin. Read about this earlier and wodering if this matches others out there and if it was an issue. About a 0.020" gap on the left side between fin and ski slot./vanilla2/uploads/FileUpload/4/904.jpg

• Baller
Mine is the exact same way - The ski still works fine but this is disconcerting. BTW I have played with the fin and wing a lot and my numbers are way off what everyone else are running. DFT. .720, D. 2.505, L. 6.740 with the jaws. I ran the "stock" numbers but this is much better for me. Also I'm 3/16 (one hole)forward with stradas. I'm a 32 off skier on most days.

• Administrators

Everyone is freaked out about this..... It is more of a visual & psychological issue than a skiing issue. I have talked to more than one HO factory person and it is simply not an issue for your skiing. I also talked to someone from another factory and they agreed.

the 2012 fin is roughly .01 thinner and everyone says it skis better .... so the gap is even bigger. Maybe the gap is helpful (ok that is b.s.) I will ride the 2012 fin tonight.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
I will probably make a shim and stick it in the fin block and see if there is any difference. From my measurements; it does seem offset to the tight side. It is the anal engineer coming out again....It just puts into question the "quality" aspect; especially when it is so glaringly obvious.

• Baller
Thanks for the warning...going with Horton's numbers to start with as they are very close to stock and a handful of others as well as moving the FB to 29.5" instead of the stock 30". I did hear that one of the LaPointe's were running a little longer and a little shallower; somewhere around 6.865, 2.495, .770, 8°.

Just had a look at fin slot on a bunch of different skis and the A2's just looks badly machined. The S1 and A1 slots are much cleaner and almost no gap. In fact my A2 is the only ski on the dock with an off looking slot. Having said that I'm skiing well on it today.