RS1 Binding Questions

wacko

Hey,

Couple questions regarding the rs1 binding.

1. I have a size 7 foot. Can I get a size 8 (as that is the smallest) to work or in your opinion will it be to big? I guess I am asking do they fit true to size or maybe a little small?

2.When purchasing the rs1 binding does it come with a mounting plate or does it normally need to be purchased seperately? 

Thanks

From my personal experience my first year RS1 boots I went with 1 size larger than my shoe size which was a 10.. The liners are defiantly thicker on the RS1 (gold liners) than the Stradas (grey liners) I also used a thicker foot bed to help get added heel lift on both boots.. You will be fine with the size 8 RS1's!

I'm currently running Stradas in a size 10 but could have probably gone with a 9 as they seem to be more true to size! Hope this helps you out. Also RS1's don't come with plates or the single plates but Stradas come with the individual plates but I would recommend the single mounting plate as this helps with adjustments and ski flex.

Availability.

I believe they quit making the RS-1 boots in 2009. I think 2010 ushered in the Strada boot.

IMO, the RS-1s had a more firm shell and thicker lining. The Stradas seem to have a softer patch of rubber above the heel and thinner liners.

• Baller

So to make sure I'm clear on the sizing thing, if I order a new set of Strada boots this spring (which I'm strongly considering) and my foot is a 12 wide I would probably want to go with a size 13?  I would like to put PowerStep or Superfeet insoles in them too so I'd think that would take up any slack.  Suggestions?

TIA, Ed 

• Baller

Hey EZ Ed,

I believe the Stradas run truer to size, where the RS1s ran a bit on the small side. This is possibly due to the Strada having a thinner liner.

I am an 8 wide, and the Strada 9 had too much slop for me. I have a powerstep in my 8. Adding arch support will usually "shorten" the length of your foot.

• Baller

Thanks Dave, that is what I needed.  Thinking of pulling the trigger before the season starts so if they don't work out I won't have too much season invested.

I'm a little anxious coming off 5 - 6 years on D3 Leverages about how much adjustment it will be to the Stradas.  Most seem to take right to them but I've known a couple of folks who didn't like the feel.  Thoughts?

• Baller

the toughest part of the transition from rubber is that you will feel compelled to crank the bungees tight....which you don't want to do..at least on the top one. I had to progressively loosen mine each time out.

Good luck. There is plenty of tinkering you can do with them to get the right fit...between heat molding and experimenting w/ different insoles. Another Plus... you'll be doing your part to reduce our nation's dependency on that precious natural resource ... slime.

• Baller
Wacko, I'm in my third year in my RS-1s with the original liners. I don't take the liners out except to make sure they're dry at the end of the year. Mine still show no damage and no mold or mildew. No other issues with the bindings. As far as injuries I suffered a thigh muscle pull that I caused when I tightened down the laces too much at a tournament. I ski 4-5 days per week.