Surf Skiing

ski6jones

• Baller

It is bogus, Its like the guy is skiing the slalom course on 2 skis and saying he invented something. Tow in surfers have been refining the boards they use for jaws for the last 10 years.

Just like slalom ski development they are refining what works best and 2 waterskis arent it

• Baller

disland,

For me surfing is the most exciting sport around and agree that those with the skills to chase big waves are doing it right AND pushing the envelope.

http://zachweisberg.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/laird-hamilton-teahupoo-677.jpg

Enough said?  Surf skiing clearly a side show compared to that.

• Baller

Bogus?! That Chuck Patterson clip is crazed. If you have ever surfed and skied big mountains, you know what he is doing is far from lame. The only thing I find ridiculous is his use of poles. I would not want to be maytagged while holding something that could pierce my unmentionables (or other parts for that matter).

JP :)

• Baller

I hear ya' Kona.  Skiing without poles is less than optimal, but when a wave that size comes down on top of you, the last thing yer' gonna' want to contend with is something resembling a skewer.  Falling on hard pack wouldn't be an apt comparison.  Falling in an avalanche would be more accurate.

JP :)

• Baller

Chef23,

I believe that photo is of the real thing. I haven't been there, but Teahupoo ("Chopes") is a typical reef pass set up. The swell hits most of the reef head on, which creates that long, long, backless, water-sucking-off-the-reef, hideously sick wave. It's only on the edge of the "passes" (deep channels through the reef) that the wave can peel left or right (left obviously for Chopes) because the edge of the reef curves in towards the island. Notice how all the boats sit to the side of the wave in (relative) safety? That's because they are sitting in the deep channel or pass. Taking off on a wave like that takes incredible balls and skill (especially if you are not being towed in or are a SUP janitor). If you fail on the take off and fall off or get pitched you are generally going to get dragged over the reef. Not pretty.