Composite "teak" swim platform

H2Oskeefreek

• Baller

Long time reader here, never posted much..... but anyway....

Doing a little market research here. How much of a market to y'all think there would be for composite, teak-looking, completely maintenancefree swim platforms for around $250-300? You'd still have the look and feel of teak, but the maintenance of a fiberglass platform.

• Baller
Hopefully getting my samples today to test that very thing, I would imagine if you stood on the ski with the fin on the platform http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-frown.gif it would scratch, but it doesn't scratch with a key.

• Baller_
I am not sure there would actually be a big market for a composite platform that looks like teak but there might be for one that also feels like teak and requires minimal maintenance.  I feel there is an attraction to teak for the feel and texture along with the appearance.  The other question would be is there a big market for replacement swim platforms.  Personally, as I ponder my ski platform (teak) my objective would be to reduce weight since it tips the scale at 30# so a carbon fiber one would be where I would go.  So, how much is the unit you are pondering going to weigh.  Also, what is the material?  I have experienced a platform made from the composite decking sold at home improvement stores and it is very slippery.

• Baller

I'd definitely be interested; however like Chef23 look and feel (and weight) would be at issue.  I currently have teak (huge PITA to maintain), my previous boat had FG with a soft rubbery pad on top and I loved that.  Been trying to find a FG replacement for my '05 Response LXI but don't really want to spring for what Malibu wants for a brand new one.  But yeah, I'd be interested.

Ed

• Baller

A swim step with a ballast tank would be very cool. I'd retrofit my new MC with one. Run it empty and light for slalom and fill it for tricks and wakeboarding. When empty it must be light as weight that far aft has a huge effect on the slalom wake. A foam pad is better than teak - if you are skiing not displaying the boat.

I actually bought a swim step tank several years ago but it was poorly engineered and would not fit on my boat. Do it right and there is a market - until the manufacturers adopt the idea. But who is buying new boats now? So you should do OK.

How do you make a small fortune in waterskiing? Start with a large one...

Eric

For those who have teak and it has gone bad and your tired of messing with it, I sprayed mine with line X and really like it. Got the idea off a sanger boat. Cost me 60 bucks, only spray the top side, leave the bottom un-covered. They have several colors I did black cause to change the guys sprayer over he said it would cost 250. The balck did not get hot nor does it scratch your ski and it does have good grip. And yes 250 -300 for a platform sounds cheap good luck in your adventure I am sure you will sell some.

I would very much be interested in a platform that wasnt teak,, I dont really care for the look and maintenance of wood on a all fiberglass boat, looks funny to me that this is the only thing wood on my boats,, the fiberglass ones are to heavy,, the carbon fiber ones to expensive. I would love to see an alternative,,. maybe something you could use the rubber pad on that they use on the fiberglass ones.. I have two 94 prostar 190's