Broken Handle

kona

Broke my handle today and it was only 4 months old. Any suggestion on what to replace ir with. It was a SL Shadow

http://picture.vzw.com/mi/571790828_2029125349_0.jpeg?limitsize=580,480&outquality=56&ext=.jpg&border=1,0,0,0http://picture.vzw.com/mi/571790828_2029125349_0.jpeg?limitsize=580,480&outquality=56&ext=.jpg&border=1,0,0,0http://picture.vzw.com/mi/571790828_2029125349_0.jpeg?limitsize=580,480&outquality=56&ext=.jpg&border=1,0,0,0http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn55/rjb427/571790828_2029125349_0.jpg?t=1285900698http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn55/rjb427/571790828_2029125349_0.jpg?t=1285900698

• Baller

I have used HO Accurate ARS 13" handles for about 8 years now.  They are very durable and they stand behind their product.  I have one that is 4 seasons old that my wife still uses it (we both used the same one up until i got a new one mid summer this year).

I had a handle fold on me about 9 years ago, can't remember the brand but it was from a private manufacturer.  It was a 13"; but, it was a radius handle.  Not sure if that had something to do with it.

• Administrators
Were you lucky enough to break it right before the wake? I did that a lot years ago. Wait, No. That hurts bad.

• Baller_
Kona - I can't tell by the picture, but did the aluminum tube actually break?  I would certainly contact the manufacturer and see what they would do about it.  More that simply replacing it, what I would be asking (particularly if the aluminum actually broke) is what type of failure analysis they would do on the handle.  There are many metalurgical labs that can take a look at the tube and determine the root cause of the failure.  Since falls from broken handles hurt, can cause injury, it is a good practice for the company in question to know what happened thus providing the answer on how to solve it.  If the failure is something else, then returning it for them to review will provide clues as to what processes they need to change to prevent a similar failure in the future, even if it is simply calling the assembly shop across the pond and instructing them on a different way to assemble it.  Any reputable company should want to review a failure, particularly one that is early in the product life cycle.

• Baller

I use 13" ARS radius handles and weigh more than most, never had one break. Had at least 3 or 4 regular 12" handles break years ago, of course, at first wake. One handle broke and cracked my thumb knuckle so hard I thought it was shattered, blood was coming out of my glove, but it just was a large gash and very bruised.

I've broke my share of ropes too, but that's another story.

• Baller

Can't tell from the picture, but many of the  SLs have  plastic plugs that go into the aluminum bar (handle).    They break far too often...without warning.  I'm no engineer, but it seems like a poor design.  Based on the # of breakages (co worker broke two, one going through gates), you couldn't give me one. 

If nothing else, the InTow handles are drilled through the aluminum and rope wear (if/when it occurs) is visible....so at least you are forewarned. 

• Baller

I called Brenda up on a Tuesday and had my rope by Friday.  I love how it comes with my name handwritten on it.  I'm all for supporting a small homespun operation that allows me to talk to the owner/operator like Brenda's and the rope/handle combo has been flawless.  It's like the difference between having a custom bike and having something made in Taiwan.

JP :)

• Baller
I thought the same thing until I paid Brenda $80 for a handle and it only lasted 4 months. I sent her an email with pictures showing the spectra fraying on one side of the bridle under the plastic tubing used to protect the rope. Never heard back from her. I would think in todays economy customer service would be important to any small company.

• Baller

I would say pick up the phone and call her.  Maybe she missed the email somehow.

I had a very bad customer service experience with Masterline so it happens with every company at some point.  I finally got on the phone with someone and we talked it out.  I wasn't still thrilled with the way things went down but things went better after a phone conversation.

• Baller
Go with Masterline. Everything is made in house. They spin there own rope which means they control everything. I cannot speak where Intow gets there material but If you want a rope that is made in the USA Masterline is it and they stand behind there product. If a problem comes up they will work something out if it not a warranty issue.

• Baller
The email I sent Brenda came after the phone call we had. On the phone she tried to blame the problem on my ski. The waterski community is small and I support companies with good customer service and for that reason I will not buy from Brenda again.