Ski Course.

Tuney

I'll be hitting the ski course for my first time this week. Have any tips?

Whats protocol for a crash or missed ball in the middle of the course, getting on the boat and going back to the start or continuing on from where you are at? I'll be the only one skiing and I am just looking for some practice going around balls.

• Baller
Pull up from where you go down in the course and drag to the end of the course, stop at end, start over.  If there are other boats waiting to use the course; IMHO I think it is somewhat customary to take 6 passes (meaning 6 attempts at running it) then drop, wait for the other boat(s) to cycle through their turn(s) and you are up again for another 6 passes.

• Baller
Go out and have fun with it for the first couple of passes. Then get serious but have fun with it! Someone may say something different but ignore the gates, cut cross course but in front of them to be early to 1ball. The one thing that every one says their first time not matter what speed they are at is WOW THOSE BUOYS COME UP SO FAST! Have fun!

• Administrators
See if you can get around 1, then just spray (go just inside) the other 5. When you can do that a few times, Spray every ball you do not round and go around 1 & 6.... Then 1,2 & 6 then 1,2,5&6. Don't expect to round all 6 for a while.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

Slow the boat down until you get all 6, then increase speed! I was shocked that I had to slow down to 26mph before I could get all 6. Also, I found the rope at 15 off was easier than the long line....

I am a beginner and my skiing got tremendously better when I quit worrying with the entry gate.  It's the toughest part of learning and I'd be behind from the get go.  I suggest starting wide of the 1 ball.  When you're making it around balls 2 - 6 then work on the entry gate. 

• Baller
I teach beginners similar to what Horton said but, I advocate starting on the right side and pulling wide and turn in close to the back side of 1; spray 2,3,4,5 and try to get 6 and the exit gate.  Here is where Horton and differ:  I suggest that you start adding buoys that you round with 5, then add 4 then add 3, then 2.  That way you get more pulls and turns before a potential miss or fall by trying to add buoys early in the course.

Thanks for the tips guys. I injured my back so I am not sure if I'll get out there this week but when I can get on the water I'll try the various techniques to get comfortable with the buoys.

The driving comment was interesting :) I didn't realize how hard it was to drive the boat straight until I ran it through the course. Luckily my dad and I seemed to get a grip on it before either of us had to pull a skier, although I am sure that will add a whole new set of problems.

Maybe I'll try and get some video of the mayhem.

"I teach beginners similar to what Horton said but, I advocate starting on the right side and pulling wide and turn in close to the back side of 1; spray 2,3,4,5 and try to get 6 and the exit gate.  Here is where Horton and differ:  I suggest that you start adding buoys that you round with 5, then add 4 then add 3, then 2.  That way you get more pulls and turns before a potential miss or fall by trying to add buoys early in the course. "

I found this method to be best for me.  Starting on 1 and 2 led to way to much falling early or skiing between the boat guides, not getting enough practice in and expending lots of energy.  The only thing you have to be careful of starting at 6 is to not be to far behind when you get there.