Cold Water Skiers Unanonymous

Tuney

"I skied tonight and the temps are getting a tad chilly.... water 55F / air 50F"

Holy crap!  Where the hell are you?  I'm in Alaska, and tonight we had 72* air and 62* water - if we hadn't had a better-than-40-year record of 32+ straight days of rain the water would probably be in the low 70's too...

TW

• Baller
I believe it got down to 47deg last night here in MN (South Canada)...it's 9am and it's showing 60deg now! Water is cooling downhttp://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-frown.gif It's suppose to get hot by the weekend...along with 21mph winds for our tournamenthttp://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-cry.gif All this planning and $$$$ ....pouting ALL week!!!!

• Baller
A lot of guys in our club use the aquasphere wt-50 as it's very thin and better for cold water than a drysuit.  We fill up with hot shower water then ski while hot.  I will say, they don't look 'cool' they certainly don't look as silly as the white suit in the Dave G. photo.  That thing reminds me of the old one piece alpine ski suits, that have been nicknamed "fa& bags" .

Reminded me of those white bubble boyz out of the cult flick "Space balls" . Apologies. Ski racing you have what? a 2 minute run to shave 100th's and you are doing about 100 km/hr the whole way down the hill. So a slippery suit is obviously a must. But for slalom 17 seconds, a good part of that is needing some resistance, and slower speeds. I dunno never tried one.

I will say the new surfing wetsuits are way warmer and a lot more flexible. I use my surfing 4/3 it's great.

• Baller
The old one piece alpine race suits? What do you think they race in nowadays? All alpine events are run in one-piece race suits these days. Those aren't fart bags anyway. Fart bags are the totally ghey, one-piece powder suits that amazingly some guys still rock. My apologies to any of you that actually wear one of those. It looks good on you, though. I don't care how well they keep the powder out, if you wear one you are either mocking '80s/'90s ski fashion (which is commendable under some circumstances - like a costume party) or you are....you know.

• Baller
I have a WT50 and I have skied in it with water in the low 50s and it works great. The neck is a little tight on mine so I don't always zip it all the way to the top and I get a little extra water in it. With it zipped up tight you don't get a ton of water in it. I do kind of look like a big fat seal in it though.

• Baller

jimbrake, that is what I'm referring to, not the race suits, you know the nice pink/teal and purple with gold accent built in belt at the lower rib f^G Bags, not fart bags.  Our ski show does a nice comedy routine with an 80's desente one piece fa&bag and french accent looking for a ski as they ski on some old K2's : 

insert fake french accent: "I'm looking to ski apres big breakfast, complete 2 eggs.. side by each, 2 bacon.. parallel and a pair of toast, now je ski" then off the dock on K2's ... good for a laugh but the K2s and rear entry salomons don't float so well.