1997 vs 2005+

aguylikeshark

I skied a 2005 and wasn't all that impressed until 32 off my ski took off through the wakes like it was on greased lightning. On our lake water conditions amplify the trough and roster. Losing lots of the pull zone to that making shorter lines almost impossible. I have some rope cam photos at 32 off that show the depth of the trough (it's huge!) That's with no back seat and a 1/4 tank.

So today I am going to make a carbon fiber floor panel and carbon swim grid. Saves about 60 lbs right off the back of the boat. I've done some testing and the wake is waaaay better. I might have a water-logged hull too.

http://twitpic.com/2hjj9r

Rope cam pix #2 &4 http://twitpic.com/2gmdfn/full

• Baller_

You will notice the improvement, it is all about changing the pitch angle of the boat.  Adding to the nose allows the weight to act on a longer moment arm.  Reducing weight is always a good thing to do as it lifts the hull out of the water.  You could add some hook to the transom to help some more at the shorter line lengths.  Another option would be to add chine which is another way of lifting the hull out of the water.

" You could add some hook to the transom to help some more at the shorter line lengths."

This was Hydrodyne's solution with their 70's era IO tournament skier, and it was very effective.  Hulls without the added hook generally used adjustable trimtabs, which would accomplish similar results.  Expect to find a very hard wake at certain line length (-22' and -28' on the'Dyne IO).

If you do add hook, don't get carried away - a little bit goes a long ways...

TW

• Baller_

Wow? Undoubtedly one of the best slalom boats ever made and you are having issues? Would love to have one of these with a current 6 liter. These were great three event boats and had the smallest bump at 22 off. Kristi's world record still stands (just recently matched) behind the 96-01 hull. 

What prop are you running on the boat?

Jody - Please read above our lake has issues. You'd have to come up here and ski for yourself. My brother hails from McGinnis in Florida, came up here had to wear a full wetsuit and couldn't ski his openers for a good week. Guys who coach with Rini who are into '39 got a few at 32 off in a tournament at a lake nearby. It's not that the wake is big, just like skis, the boat rides bow up butt down. The hollow is what I hate the most and then bam you hammer hard wakes. In softer water you don't even feel the wake -example I skied the dreaded water logged Moomba OB with tower down in Mexico came back saying what wake?

OK had the 150 lb Doc ski the boat this morning (with foam floor but standard grid) and he was all smiles. We are gaining at least a pass and I suspect more because the course just got a foot or two longer at every ball!! STOKED!

World's First Carbon Grid

nice platform shot. for a ski protector we can get then made by our trim supplier in marine-grade urethane coated flexible strips. Say a Teak, Silver metallic or Carbon fiber even. Has 3M on the back so sticks to the hull. I can measure it up next time is see the '05.

weight of teak platform was about 33 lbs soaked, new platform is 8 lbs.weight of stock floor is the same about 33 lbs new floor about 4lbs.I also removed anchor, spare gas tools and stuff about 30lbs?might look at a lightweight battery too. Just taking the edge off the wake was enough for me. The floor did that. I skied with a 145 lb jockey 7 am, stock grid . Lunch time 220lb jockey but now with the carbon grid it was about the same. For skiers at 30 mph the wake is now is very flat so our kids will like that.I am going to have to put surfer pads or something on the grid it was pretty slippery At the course depth is about 80 feet to 250 or more. Depth of Two Rivers arm is around 300-400 feet. Depth of Taylor arm 500+. Visibility is over 50 feet. I have a ZX3 video camera I was thinking of shooting from 10 feet below the course. The water does soften up by mid-September if we have no rain and it stays sunny. This year will be a good one. Only 1 day of rain in almost two months.

• Baller_
What is the size of the floor section you are describing, I assume it is the panel that lifts up to gain access to the rudder/exhaust/steering.  33 lbs seems quite heavy.  What constituted the replacement 4 lb section, just a carbon fiber panel insert?  Could you post a pic of that or even both of them.  Thx.

Yep that's the panel. I weighed it again 29 lbs it has dried out, there was some water trapped in there. The panel is deformed too sunk in the middle. The new panel is a CF sandwich I made last nite using some Carbon fiber scraps/patches and some no-name epoxy. Turned out great - very strong looks like hell i am going to finish in foam or carpet or?

The grid needs one more coat and a clear coat. Then a EVA anti-skid pattern because it's slippery. I might do something cool there like a head molded FM logo in the middle.

The boyz are all grins. I have to change my ski setup because I am turning at a slower speed, now overturning a bit.

Here's a vid with Jon Traver's gate at 39 (at the end). This is behind a Malibu Response LXi which is a pretty big honking boat - yet the wake at Abbottsford is quite small and very soft. I skied practice there.