How much to move fin forward or back

Chef23

• Baller
Chef -I typically move the DFT .05 per movement.  Some may disagree but the DFT seems to be the least sensitive of the three measurements (and less repeatable unless you have a slot caliper) and the impact can be subtle depending on what your objective is. 

• Baller

I've also heard that different skis are more sensitive to this movement than others.

On my Goode combined with my style, I'd consider 0.05 to be a HUGE move.  A month or so ago, I did a 0.01 DFT change and the ski immediately felt clearly different (thankfully better).  I'm about to do another move and most likely this time I'll move the same or even a little less, maybe as little as 0.005.

This reminds me I gotta publish my "new" very easy method to get a highly accurate DFT measurement with a regular 8" caliper!  It's based on a method published on Schnitz's site, but requires fewer steps.  But it's waay easier to explain with pictures, which I need to actually TAKE.

• Baller

I am looking at moves on two different skis. After looking at a bunch of pictures of me skiing I am getting some tip rise on my good side which is becoming an issue at 32 and 35 off. I work through it without thinking about it on shorter line lengths but it is still there. The prescription for that seems to be move the fin back. I am on an HO A1 and running stock settings which have been checked.

On my 11 year old's ski a 65.5" D3X5 as he speeds up to 32 and 34 mph the ski seems to turn slow. He is 125 pounds and the ski may be tiny bit big for him at the faster speeds. I want to free his ski up a little in the turns for which the prescription seems to be move the fin forward. He is running stock D3 settings with no wing (and one of John's Carbon fins which came with the ski when I bought it used).

• Baller

Your guesses about what to try sound the same as mine.  For both I personally would do a 0.01" move and see where that lands you.  If it's worse, undo it.  If it's better, but not fixed, make another small move.

Note for 11 y.o.: When the fin is too far forward it can sometimes result in off-side turns that are too sharp to  hold onto.  Sometimes these actually "look" really good, but because of the overturn the next pull is messed up and will arrive narrow into on-side.  So keep an eye out for that happening when he goes forward, and if you see that then undo it and consider a different change.  E.g. reducing tip (i.e. length) is another change that MAY result in faster turns.