Ideas for a radar gun in the slalom course?

wtrskii3156

• Baller

Tomorrow I am fortunate enough to have a State Trooper join us at our lake with a radar gun. We will have a second boat in the water as the platform for the radar gun and will hopefully get some good pictures. What are some possible ways we could position the gun? Since our site always has a strong wind blowing down it we thought about measuring the speed of the skier going into the buoy from a head wind vs. a tail wind.We also want to measure the speed of different styles of gates to so see how much they vary. How much speed does a fast gate add to the rest of the course?

Any other ideas we could try?

• Baller
As your Trooper friend will tell you, you have to be as directly at them as possible for an accurate reading.  If you are off to the side, or at an angle, the speed will read lower.  So get on the shore or in a boat on the side and line up with their path as they cross the wakes, probably something like 45 degrees.  Sounds like a fun thing to play around with.

• Baller_

Cool.  As mentioned, direction is the key.  You might also check speeds for onside/offside for an interesting comparison.  When checking vehicles, I have always tried to get multiple readings for the same car to ensure a consistent and accurate representation of the true speed.  Don't forget to stand at the same level as the skier also, the deck of the other boat should be perfect.  The gun may end up picking up spray if you try to use it going away, so watch for that.  Radar waves like metal, so if you have trouble, you might try to have some tin foil with you as a target.  Good luck and I am sure there will be a lot of interest.

• Baller_

Hi,

After years of doing Speed control / performance work with Correct Craft We found that Being on shore with the radar gun and gathering data was very inaccurate, spray from skiers and the boat creates scatter and a inaccurate signal . The gun needs to be in the boat with a solid object to shoot at, a truck or building at the end of the lake works best. I built a windshield bracket for the towboat committee to mount their stalker system to windsheld extrusions of test boats.

TW thanks for the jewelry!!!