Need a big guy ski on which I can progress...

UWSkier

• Baller

Background:  6'5" 235-240.  Free skier since I could walk but minimal course experience.  PB is 3@28.

Current ride: 70" Monza with Slot Fin

Problem:  I'm just not consistent on course at 34 mph and 22 off or slower, which is where I really like to drill drill drill.  The ski just stalls in the turns and I struggle to generate width.  I can muscle the ski through the pass, but it's not how I like to ski.  I like to try to carry and maintain more speed than the ski allows me to at those speeds.  I free ski at 28 off and 34 or 36 and have no trouble linking beautiful symmetric turns all day with the speed those shorter lengths and faster speeds bring.  I put the slot fin on my ski to correct the finicky nature of the Monza with different water types, but since then I've struggled to progress beyond where I'm at.

What I'm looking for:  A ski that doesn't stall out at longer lengths and 34 MPH or slower, and something that generates more width, but that can also run 36 no problem and carry me past 32.  Also, would like the ski to be more consistent than my Monza on different water types.  This thing truly is as picky as an Italian sports car.

Would be a bonus if it worked with my Animal bindings.  Always been a HO guy, from my Mach 1, to CDX, to System 8, to Monza.  Not particularly brand loyal to them anymore after Radar came about.  Would have no problem making that jump.

Skis that have peaked my interest:  Senate-C, Co-X SL.  After becoming accustomed to the blazing fast acceleration of the Monza (when I'm free skiing), I'm not sure if I would like a Denny Kidder design, but the last one of those I was on was an X3.

• Baller
I liked the 69" Senate C up to 35 off. Didn't turn and hookup at 35 off like my Goode, but I had been on a Goode since they came out. I was 235 to 240 when I skied it. Ran 32's all day at 34 mph. Probably should have kept it.

Second the vote for the 69" Senate-C.  I'm only 210 - 215 lbs ("only" - lol), but when I tried the C I found it to be unbelievably nimble.  It's as big as a jumper and pops up a deep-water-start like a canoe, but that ski can turn!  The newest improvements for 2011 can only make it better, IMO.

TW

• Baller
Local pro shop deals both HO and Radar.  I'll see if he can get his hands on a 2011 Senate-C and a 69" Co-X SL for me.  Going to try those before looking at Goode methinks.  Thanks for the pointers and validation of my research.  :)

• Baller

You may want to try that Strada 55 or whatever they are calling it. Horton said it is a great ski. Correct me if I am wrong but I think it is a Senate C mold but layed up with the same materials as a Strada.

• Baller

Actually, I liked the blue Goode fin in the Senate C the best.  I also tried the slotfin.  To me, that is a skinny guy fin, or at least guys that ski efficiently, which I don't resemble in the slightest.

What did they do to the 2011 Senate C? 

I am still looking for that magic bullet for my svelte 250lbs.

• Baller

I am about your weight although not as tall and I am skiing on a 68.75" A1. I moved from a 2005 70" Monza with a slot fin and since making the switch last year I have gone from struggling to run 28 off to running more than 50% of my 32 offs over the past week across 6 sets. I ran 32 off in every set and in 3 sets ran it out of the water. I find the A1 offers me plenty of support and much more support than the Monza did. My offside turn in particular has gone from being inconsistent and a liability to being somewhere I can make up a little time if needed. I have started tournament sets at 32 mph and am currently starting at 32/22 in tournaments and have no problems at that speed.

I am very happy with the A1 and if your dealer can get one you should give it a try.

• Baller

Chef, I got a good deal that I couldn't pass up on a A1.  Should be here early next week.  :)  That's not to say I won't try the other skis too, but that might be next season.

I'll be running Animals.  What do your numbers look like on the fin and where are your bindings?

• Baller

I am running a Radar Strada front with a RTP with the following numbers: Binding 30" from the heal of the Strada, DFT .77, Length 6.84 tips, depth 2.508 and the wing at 9*. I am thinking about moving the fin back .01 as in some recent photos of me I see some tip rise at all passes. That is probably more a technique thing but I see it from 22 off all the way to 35.

My A1 is a 2009 that I got last year.

• Baller

So you're pretty much dead-nuts on with the stock settings.  I've actually heard from 2 different guys that 8 degrees and the bindings back 1/8" with everything else stock helps keep the ski traveling outward a little better.  I'm probably going to start out there then work towards stock if I'm having issues.

Thanks!

• Baller
I have been skiing pretty good for me on it this year. I have gone from a PB at home of 3@32 off to 3@35 off and gone from 28 off being a 25% pass to almost 100%. My tournament PB has gone from 4@28 last year to 4@32 and I can feel the full 32 pass. Because of this I haven't messed with it much. AFter seeing some pictures it does have me thinking about making some changes though. If I can get the energy to walk to the shed tonight I might move my fin back. I mostly feel like going to bed though.