Elite problems

tsixam

• Baller

Let’s pretend that my technique is more or less perfecthttp://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-laughing.gif, but still getting some slack after the ball on both sides. What would be the right fin adjustment to do? I am on a 67 Elite with Andys settings.

Tsixam

• Baller

The problems start to show at 35 and shorter.  Off side is worse. Water is soft, temp about 68F.

At 180 Lbs maybe I should have a 66?

Bindings at 29 1/2, 6,836 tips, 2,510, Dft head 0,784 ( almost impossible to get the same reading 2 times in a row), wing 9.

Thanks.

Tsixam

• Baller

Try standing the ski on its tip, place the caliper as you normally would, then mash it flat to the ski with the pad (NOT THE TIP) of your thumb. You will get consistant readings.

At 180# I strongly recommend the 67". I am 175# and have ridden both the 65.5 and the 67 a great deal.

Your DFT is farther forward than what I would recommend. I am at about .777 and a I would think that anything farther forward than .780 would not be so hot. Your length and depth are pretty much spot on from what I have seen.

I am going to assume you technique is not perfecthttp://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-smile.gif I find that the Elite does not like to run a narrow course. What I feel is that if I am high on the boat in the gate I can establish great rhythm and tight turns. If I chicken out and am narrow, the ski does not like to be muscled in the turn if approaching on a shalow arc. That is when I get the feel of hesitation at the end of the turn. I do not see this as a failure of the ski at all. It is very symetrical and consistant on both sides. If I ski it correctly I know what to expect. If I don't ski properly I know what to expect as well.

Check out the youtube videos of Andy running 41 on the Elite at Gordon Rathburns and compare it to the Rossi video of him running 41 at Swiss. It has been awhile since I have watched them, but it seems they showed the more carving type turns of the Elite vs. the end of turn hammer of the Strada. (Yes, I know they are differnt skiers. Both are awesome and I would kill to ski like either) That is not a knock on the Strada. Just a comparison of what I see as the preferred turn style of each ski.

All of the above is IMHO.

Good luck! 

• Baller

Couple days ago I saw a kid at our site on the Strada running 28 off.  He gets into 32 off so he's probably running 28 pretty easily most days.

The spray from his ski looked barely head high and was smooth and continuous from pre turn to start of the pull.

I ride the Elite and I know the spray from my ski looks nothing like that, despite my best efforts.

Just sayin', it ain't all the ski.  In fact it mostly ain't the ski.

• Baller

"Just sayin', it ain't all the ski.  In fact it mostly ain't the ski." True, but what I have been seeing is that if your ski isn't set up right it can definitely hold you back and overwork you.

• Baller

lkb,

No argument there.  I'm struggling with ski setup now also, although inthe last week it's gotten alot better.

My response was mainly directed towards Scots post about turns of the Elite being more carving than those of the Strada (paraphrasing).  I had never seen turns as smooth as this kid was making on the Strada.  Clearly the Strada can carve smooth turns as well.

On a similar note, while watching the Big Dog at Katy a few weeks ago I saw two old school X-5's.  I went from an X-5 to my Elite.  So if these guys can get run 39 and into 41 on an old X-5, why do I need an Elite?  Mostly ain't the ski, it's mostly me.

So my new motto; Save money on skis, buy lessons.

• Baller

Thanks Scot.

I know that I am far from perfect. And I know that handle control is very important on the Elite to ski on a wide path. I am trying hard to keep my elbows in from second wake to the release. But I am about 6 balls behind, compared to my old red/blue Sixam. So something has to be wrong. I refuse to admit that I am older and weaker than last yearhttp://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-yell.gif.

When I measure the way you describe I seem to be very far forward. I´ll go back and give it try tomorrow and let you know the result.

Tsixam

Skidawg is the only person that I have seen look good on the Elite. (I have not watched Mapple ski on it)

Scot is on the Elite now and liking it but he likes every ski he is on.

Tsixam,

It sounds like you are getting the same thing that I had happening with the Elite. Is your ski stalling after you hook up with the handle? Most if the issue of slack after the ball is how you release the handle prior to the ball. No matter what I did, I could not get rid of the problem.    

• Baller

No, it´s more like that the ski doesn’t turn all the way, hesitates at the end, and create some slack and I ski right to the next ball. Off side is worse. It seems to happen no matter what I do. 

Tsixam

• Baller
I ski on the Elite and I did feel some hesitation in the of the turn for a little while but I just added a little more front foot pressure in the turns and now the turns are great! I give this advice with out having watched you ski.

• Baller

MS, 

I still have my Sixam but it is worn out. It was digging deep in the turns and didn´t accelerate as it used to do.  I tried a friend’s sixam, same model, very little used and it was so much better than my old one. I really hope that I can get the Elite to work. It is the fastest ski I ever have ridden.  

Tsixam

• Baller
I told him to hold on to the RS-1 but did Muffin Top do that? No no no. Hope all you guys figure this Elite thing out because I have this same thing going on right now. Probably all handle control but my right elbow is killing me!!

• Baller

No skiing today. Heavy rain and a 28 mph side wind. I changed my settings and measured the way Scot and Skidawg do. I was about 0,02 too far forward. I am quite sure it will make a huge difference. I am looking forward to try the new # tomorrow, in hopefully better weather.  

Tsixam

• Baller

I have had a few sets since I adjusted. I went back to 0,782 and it is much better. Onside is ok but not great, I still have some slack on the offside but it is better. I will try 0,780 and I am thinking of going from 6,837 to 6,840 or so to see if it is better. I still think it is hard to get consistent dft measures…even if I do it Scot/Dawgs way..

Tsixam

• Baller
I checked my fin again today and it has moved again. Second time in a few weeks. Couldn't run -32 on Saturday to save my life. Reset to 6.839, 2.512 , .784 wing@ 9 degrees and ran straight thru -32 two consecutive sets and a number of different times at Seth Stishers clinic at Piney today. Water temp 86-87 degrees. Beautiful day and Seth was an awesome teacher!!!! Thanks Seth.

• Baller

MattP,

I have ordered a new fin block from him. I hope I will have it in a week or so. I´ll give you a review as soon as I have tried it. 

Bruce,

I was thinking of going forward to get the tip down on the offside but you think back is the way to go?

Tsixam

• Baller
Those of you having trouble keeping the fin in the Elite fin block from moving, try this before you give up on it:  When you adjust the fin, make sure that you slightly loosen the screws that hold the fin block to the ski (one side only).  After adjusting the fin and tightening the "set" screws, re-tighten the fin block screws.  If you don't follow this process, it is possible that the fin block halves are being prevented from clamping tightly to the fin - end result, shifting fin settings.

I’m having real problems with the tip coming up on both sides but my offside is worse. I’m on a 65.5 weight at 155lbs, factory setting, 29†bindings, length 6.84, DFT 0.78, and depth 2.495, I’ve tried 8 and 9 degrees on me wing. The shorter the line gets the worse it gets, I’m OK at 28 and 32 but I can’t man-handle it back down at 35. Any suggestion,????????

• Baller_

Tsixam,

Without seeing you ski, and looking at your settings, my "guess" at getting slack on both sides is big school bus turns ending up turning right into the boat.  Bindings too far forward will cause this.  The Elite loves to backside the buoy and the bindings being back certainly contribute to tight turns.

Andy's setting for length is 6.850 (tips).  FWIW, I'm running  6.900, but I tend to like a longer fin than many others.  So, I'd recommend bindings at 29.25 and longer on the fin to get the tip down and see how it works. 

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Thanks guys, 

I have moved my bindings to 29,25, DFT 0,780ish,  D 2,510 and L 6,850. I still think it´s very hard to get constant measures on the DFT. When I do it vertically, holding the calliper with my left thumb I get about 0,777, with the right thumb about 0,782 and with the needle (still vertical) I get 0,780. I don´t have time to try the settings before the tournament on Sat. so I just have to hope it will be ok.

Tsixam

What #’s are you guys using on your Elite? I’m 155lb skiing on a 65.5, running 35 off about 80% of the time but with a lot of slack. Using factory #’s and no wing, LFF. I get the same slack with the wing at 7 or 8.  Without the wing I have a better gate, ski seams to let me turn in easier. Would less DFT be the proper adjustment???