Self Sabotage

Mrs ML

• Baller

My husband decided to price out two Goode’s, the mid-ride and a 9900….. I was just wondering if anyone knows of some kind of “Power-Financing†being offered by Goode?

The hubs has been skiing on a 68 Elite…..I’m pretty sure it’s a 68?....anyways for over a year now. It took some time to get it all set up so it worked well for him but he’s been happy and has been skiing pretty well.

Then he had this great idea to “rule-out†the use of our buddies 9900….yes, he was trying to decide if he wanted to bleed black & orange. He spewed some kind of sales pitch like “I really like my ski but the guys that are on Goode’s seem to be skiing well so I think I should try it and rule it outâ€. Yah, right.

He tried it a few sets and skied well but no better than on his Elite. He decided to go back to the elite cuz “why spend the money if I’m skiing the sameâ€. The next set on the Elite did not go well. He said he realizes he has to work so much harder. It took him 4 or 5 sets before it started to resemble “normal†again.

I was just wondering-does anyone else torture themselves with their equipment this way? The “I just want to rule this out†can add up rather quickly…..and by the way, I am in love with skiing. I know its spendy and I don’t mind spending it if I got it and I want the hubs to have what works best. I fully support that! But how come I’m okay sticking with something that is maybe so-so. Do I have to be a special kind of “mental†to go through equipment like that?

• Baller

skidawg - his Elite is a 2009. He does like it and it's worked well. I think it just knows he cheated on it so it's going to punish him a few sets.

thanimal - I think I'll pass on your special oil.

• Supporting Member

Mrs ML wrote: "But how come I’m okay sticking with something that is maybe so-so. Do I have to be a special kind of “mental†to go through equipment like that?"

This part I think is a personality thing.  I'm as obsessed with peak performance as anybody, but that is tempered by the fact that I hate change.  I really don't enjoy trying new skis, so I only do it when my ski is seriously underperforming (or broken...).  I try to get on something that works as quickly as I can and not look back.

But I don't think that's necessarily a "better" method than trying new stuff a lot.  If you can tolerate the constant re-learning of the details of a given ski, this may enable optimizing the equipment to a degree that someone with my personality cannot.  Of course, this can become pathological at a point -- trying new skis too frequently ultimately means never really getting one dialed in and acheiving peak performance.

Aside:  Maybe it's more than a "general" personality characteristic, because in some of my other hobbies I constantly experiment -- in online games for example I have more fun trying out new ways of making a character than I do if I stick with playing one!  So I fully understand how experimentation can be the fun part.  But in water skiing, that doesn't work for me.  I bet I'd still be on my 9100, may it rest in peace, had I not broken it in half.

P.S.:  Ok, for you only, today's special price is $98... ;)

• Administrators

Great question

All skiers have different strengths and weakness.  All skis have different strengths and weakness. The trick is lining them up.  Need super forgiveness at Off Side and have plenty of front foot pressure on On-Side you need the A1, want a wicked On-Side and have a calm Off-Side you want the RS-1, and so on and so on

My skiing hobby and web site owner admin activities include trying a lot of skis. There is no question that the number of skis I try lowers my average high scores. On the other hand I can tell you that without question that there is not a best ski for everyone.  Heck, I have even suggested at one time that we should have “training skis” and “high score skis”.  If you want to learn to control the handle, ride a ski that does not forgive bad handle control like the Prophecy, when you get back on your Goode or Elite that are forgiving to bad handle control, you will ski out of your mind.

• Baller

John:Your Elite is forgiving of bad handle control???

Mrs ML: Yes, there are many of us who are chasing the perfect ski. Truth is that if you are one one that is close to appropriate for your given style, is the correct size, and is set up relatively well, you shoud be able to ski at your best level. I have personally been chasing the perfect  ski for 3 seasons now. It doesn't exist. What I have come to realize is that I need to stay on one that is good (not perfect), get my consistancy and most importantly confidence back.

One last thought. Look at the guys who are at the very top of the 34 mph world. Nobody is jumping from brand to brand. One reason is that most get their gear for free. Another is that familiarity breeds confidence and consistancy. Soo... Pick the Goode, pick the Elite, stay on whichever.

• Administrators

Scot,

I do not need good handle control to get wide on the Elite. It is not crazy forgiving but width is never an issue for me.

The only example where I disagree with Scot is that changeing skis makes you work in different parts of you style. Maybe a good thing manybe not. Need to go ride the Prophacy  for a few rides.

• Baller

Thanks guys. All good stuff and hopefully my husband reads it all....I know he'll be lurking in here at some point. /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-wink.gif  Last year I was pretty resistant to trying skis (I struggle with change) but this year I decided to try some new stuff. However, due to the current state of the economy (which has affected my hubby's job) I have decided to stay on my decrepit old ski and just make it work until the checking account improves. I did try out an A1 and really liked it....a lot. All in all, I really do just feel greatful that I have the ability to ski and I am able to do it on a private lake. That's really my little slice of heaven.

Scot - I didn't think about the "freebie" aspect. Thanks for the reminder!

• Baller

Mrs ML, if his skiing has pateau'd, something needs to change. No point in doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results. That may be a ski, or lessons, or fin change. Sometimes is all about finding a ski that fits his style. I would encourage him to try different skis.

I plateau'd for a while and got a 9900, that week I began showing improvement and it's still going. The best money I have spent. As much time and effort that we dedicate to this sport, I thinks it's ok to spend a bit to make sure we have the right equipment or lessons, etc.

• Baller

Mrs. ML

Don't take what I said to mean that skiers are staying with their ski company just b/c the ski is either free or cheap. I believe the second reason is by far the main one. For most, the money to purchase a new top of the line ski from any company is not an issue. Having a ski that they are familiar with (and can be made their pet flex numbers, etc) is of much more importance. Good product + good service = loyalty and performance

• Baller
The new 68 has a different shape compared to the last 68 elite, the old shape had straighter sides, the new one has the same shape as the 67, there fore it requires less skier input to turn it, it really is a fast effortless ride!

RE: -"For most, the money to purchase a new top of the line ski from any company is not an issue".

Wow! -I wish I Lived there! Where I live, (and everyone else that I know in many states across the country) Ski's and everything else "FUN" are kinda Waaaaaaaaaaaaay down the 'ol priority list right about now...  

• Baller

h2o, 

I should have been more clear about that. When I said "for most" I was speaking about the extreme high end skiers I referenced in my previous posts. If you are traveling around the country, and possibly even the world, going to "Big Dawg" type tournaments you are not likely to balk at paying $1000 to $1600 for a ski. A friend of mine told me of speaking to an international skier at a recent big dawg who estimated that between time away from work, flight, rental, hotel, food, adult beverages, etc., the weekend would would cost him 5K. Not saying it makes sense, just the way it is