Help with 28 off

Laz

• Baller

I have finally been able to get 15' off at 34mph working for me most of the time and am now getting 22' off with some regularity. I have only made 28' off once and that was with a strong head wind.

The last few times at 28' off I have been struggling with timing. I try and make the most of the gate but seem to always be ready to turn well before getting to 1-ball. If I try to go around 1, I often get slack. I think my width is good enough, but maybe that's the problem.

Any suggestions?

• Baller
I feel like I am getting a fairly good gate. I seem to be coming wide enough but I feel like I am well outside the 1,3,5 line too soon. I then coast to the 1 ball and turn with slack. If I turn early and miss the 1 ball, I don't get slack. I will try and get video.

• Baller
If you are "coasting" to ball 1 it sounds like you are riding the ski out to the ball flat instead of on the inside edge.  So you have too much speed and you are doing all of your turning at or after 1 ball.  Video is a must.

• Administrators
Slack is caused by a number of things. At this level not being "stacked" and letting the rope out too fast are typical problems. Get your hips and the handle together and resist, delay and under exaggerate your reach as much as possible.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

If you are crossing with plenty of time left and you get slack from "waiting" to turn, then you are surely allowing your ski to go flat as you stare down the Buoy waiting to turn. At that point you are traveling Faster then the Boat while also Heading down course. Hence the slack.

If you are early enough to wait, then you are also early enough to start a much more rounded turn instead of waiting for the Buoy and then trying to Bang the corner. Instead of staring down the Buoy and going Flat, simply stay countered (maybe even look towards the shore) maintain your edge change and OUTBOUND direction and do as Horton said and maintain Good Handle control and connection to the Boat. Then start a more patient and larger arc'd and more progressive turn... 

• Baller

This is all good advice. I will try and make it work next time I am on the course. And I will bring the video camera.

Speaking of video, Brent, have you been to Summerski?