Fin set-up for 34 vs. 36 mph

skispray

• Baller
What are the general differences in how a fin needs to be set up to work well at 36mph as opposed to 34mph?  I just adjusted my settings and took a set - on my opener, which is 34mph, 22 off, the ski worked amazing.  Very early and wide, balanced, and the ski came through on both sides great.  Held angle well, I was very pleased.  I sped up to 36mph and suddenly I couldn't get the ski to come through on the onside.  On my offside the ski would finish but it felt like it took a lot of distance and time for the ski to get underneath me and I couldn't get in a good swing.  Ran a few not-so -good 22 offs at 36mph and cut it to 28 off, where I thought the ski felt even worse.  Very disappointed.  I was feeling like I was in control of everything that was happening at 34mph and completely out of control of what was happening at 36mph.  I don't think it was a body position thing because these problems were very unfamiliar.  Any thoughts?

• Administrators

36 is just harder. I would not change much with the ski between speeds. The skier has to change not the ski.

I use a wing at 36 but not at 34. Most skiers use a wing at both speeds. 

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
I guess I should have clarified, I'm not learning 36mph, I have been running 22 and 28 off at 36mph for a couple years now and I run almost all my 22offs at 36mph.  I just changed my fin settings and on the first set out they worked great at 34mph and felt bad at 36mph.  I was early and wide into 1 ball at all passes but couldn't get the ski to finish.  Yet at 34mph it came through almost more than I wanted it to at 1 ball.  It seems strange to me, but I though someone else may have had this kind of experience.

• Baller

I was wondering the same thing about fin setup and longer versus shorter line lengths.

Obviously the passes get harder as the line shortens, but presumably the margin for error on setup is smaller at shorter line lengths.

Just like you can get away with not great technique at longer lines, but not so much at shorter lines.

How do you sort out improper ski setup from improper skier setup (poor technique)?