Need some help at 34 mph

bullsey398

I'm new to this site and so far, it's been a great source of info.  Now, I'm hoping to get some advice on something that has plagued me for a long time.

I've been skiing a long time, but only get to ski a course occaisionally. and it's been a few years since I've even done that.  15 off at 34 was as good as it got for me.  The last few years have been just free skiing @ 32-34... mostly at 32.

In a few weeks ... I will be moving to a lake with a course and have made a resolution to get serrious again about skiing!  My goal is to start skiing consistenly at 34 so I can start skiing the course.  My problem is that at 34, I keep falling on my on side turn.  Sometimes the ski slides out, but a lot of the time, I just kinda "lay down" in the preturn.  My off side turn seems fine.

I've tried 2 different skis (current 67" Goode 9300 and my old 67" EP Stilleto) and I do the same thing, so I'm sure it's my form / technique, but I'm not sure what to try / change.  I'm also wondering if a fin adjustment might help?  Both fins are stock settings... I've only changed binding positions.

I'm 5'10" ; 175lbs ; LFF with double boots.... with an old body that's in decent shape... and young mind!

I realize it's hard to make suggestions without seeing me ski, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Greg

• Baller
bullsey, you might be letting go of the handle too early.Try to get into a slalom course rhythm. Start out left, Edge through the wakes , change edges somewhere around the second wake, keep the handle with both hands as the ski travels "away" from the boat gradually [on left edge], slowly release the handle out to turn, then back in as you start to travel to the left again. Feel the rhythm, maybe even count.Keep it going, think smooth, mellow. 1,, 2,, 3, 4, 1,, 2,, 3, 4 . The Goode is probably a better ski at this point. When you can, try to get some good coaching if near a ski school or a visiting coach comes to your town. Or do a ski vacation.Living on a lake! Nice.

• Baller

Bullseye,

coaching is real easy to get these days! If you go to proskicoach.com you can get virtual coaching  (it's reasonable). Or there are a few pro's traveling the country, you might be able to get some one on one that way.

Thanks for the suggestions guys... what a great site! 

9400 / Drago... I think you're on to something regarding handle control... I think that it's very likely that I'm reach to early... especially after looking at the pics in Bruce Butterfield's article (which was great!)

dsmart / Steven, coaching is definitely something I want to explore... I need to get some more time in first though to build up the stamina... I gas too soon right now!

Thanks again!

Greg