Slalom rooster tails for junior skiers

Skihack

• Baller
throwing a  issue out  there, wondering if anyone has run into this. Got a junior girls 2 skier who practices  behind a 98 SN. She runs 22 off 95% of the time in practice with Stargazer. In a tournament, mostly behind 08 and 09 MC's, she has trouble keeping the ski from bouncing and she is edging strong. Anything I can do to the 98 SN to mimick the taller rooster tail at 22 off? I was thinking of placing weight in the boat, but do I put the weight up in the nose or the tail? Thanks.

they haven't fixed it in the new 2010 MasterCraft either. It has a real terrible bump slower then 32mph. Starts to smooth out at 32mph though. What age group is she? What is her max speed? Even though she is on edge, the extra bouncing may be because she is on the back of her ski a little to much? However,  being light in the weight department doesn't help much with that bump either. The lighter you are, the less you are able to edge cut the bump and the higher you bounce over it. I have judged a lot of the jrs. and especially when you have a full tank and a heavy crew, it really makes that bump big. I've seen a lot of little guys airborne over the 08/09 wake.

• Baller

Break out the drill! While the Bubbler does not eliminate the MC rooster tail, it does soften it some.

Your 98 is a particularly sweet boat. Some weights in the back plus a full tank makes the wakes big. A lot like the MC for tricks - and slalom. Now if you can just convert to ZO...

Eric

• Baller
My 9yo is learning the course behind a 10 MC.  The ONLY way to cross the wakes is in the air.  I haven't seen a single kid that size skiing at low speed who can both keep the ski in the water and run the course.  It kinda sucks.  It would be like me trying to ski behind a cabin cruiser with the folks in the boat telling me to hold an edge all the way through.  Ski hit her in the back of the head Sat. cause she went flat ... cut her head ... trip to the doc in the box for staples.  Fortunately, she was pissed cause she could not ski her second set. 

• Baller_
when my son was little, he got clocked in the head crashing around an island = stitches.  After that he wore a little red wakeboard helmet for a couple of years.  I used to tell him that if he's going to jump the wake, then go big and clear both.

• Baller_

Yes these big bad boats are tough on the little ones. But a couple of things that might help. Get the child a Youth rope as they are lighter and the young ones can keep it out of the water. Also A handle guard and maybe a helmet. I saw a very small  girl rippin it this past weekend at a tournament at Cory's she ran 24mph up to -22 off.

Remember though some of us learned how to run the course behind 70's era Nautiques as adults!!! would not want to go thru that again!

• Baller

My son is 11 and he is able to ski behind the MC no problem at 15 off. The wake is big for all kids at slow speeds but if they get the right body position they can get through them and keep on the water. He is up to 32 mph and we hope to get him through 34 in the next month or so.

If you want to make the wake bigger I would say add some weight to the back.