O'Brien Elite

Horton

• Administrators

On almost every ski that I have skied on in the last few years, there is at least one thing that is distinctive. Some skis crank on Toe Side but not Heel Side other skis do the exact opposite.  Some skis get wide no matter what and some skis require herculean effort to get wide. And so on . . .

For the last 3 or 4 weeks I have been skiing on my 2009 O’Brien Elite. This ski is especially hard to describe because I find it so balanced that it is hard to zero in on its personality. Except for maybe being a little extra aggressive at the finish of the turn, I find the Elite to be simply balanced.  Neither off (toe) or on (heel) side are very different for the other. Speed is ample. Weight distribution needed to turn is in the middle. Handle control is needed for extra width but compared to other top end skis the Elite needs less then some and more then others.

I understand that some skiers did not like the early versions of the Elite.  As with all skis the flex has evolved. If you tried an early Elite and found that it turned too hard, try it a newer one. I understand the 2010 flex is even better than my ski.

This ski is my baseline for other skis and yes I am trying something else tomorrow.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
I agree, handle control is very important. When I mange to hold on, the ski casts me out very wide. But when I let get too early, I end up narrow. I have also a little less tip than factory #, it helps on the off side. Tsixam

• Baller
Amen JTH, the elite is super fun to ride and very symmetrical on both sides! I have had the priviledge of ridin the new layup 67 and the new shape/layup 68. The elite is by far the fastest and smoothest ski I have ridden. The new 68" is money for anyone 190+. If you haven't tried one, look up jth on the left coast or Alvin neff in the south central for a ride. The quality construction and two year warranty are just an added bonus!

• Baller

Horton, et All,

Are you using the stock fin. Are those of you ridng Elite using the stock fin. Has anyone tried a standards fin. What was the difference.

Anyone tried a carbon fin?

Has anyone tried the Fluid Motion fin box. I was told it only accepts a standard fin, the Elite fin is too thin. Is that true?

Dave

• Administrators

Honestly I would stay stock on this ski. Fin and block. The block is not the best but it works fin. As for the wing. . . . what ever

The ski rips. Just leave it alone and ski

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
I agree with Horton this ski is great. I have mine set to stock with the stock fin and block. I have not moved it because it rips there. I just put on a Schintz wing because I had it and it does not hurt to try different things. I might switch back and see if I can feel a change. I was so early at 5 & 6 ball @ 28off yesturday on this ski I went around them with both hands on the handle! This ski is fast, smooth, and even in the turns!

• Baller
Just received my new (2011 layup) Elite.  Thanks Horton, what a screaming deal!  Does anyone know the factory settings and binding placement for the 67"?  I can't find them on the Elite website, and my ski didn't come with any literature.  I'll try the Dawgs numbers posted above, but want to start out at the stock numbers.  Thx.

John, this review sounds an awful lot like your Strada review. Do you think maybe skis are just getting to that point in their evolution where the elite (pun intended) sticks are just "balanced" and don't have the nuances that they may have in the past? Makes a person wonder what the next big step might be.