Goode - which one?

clemsondave

• Baller

Clemsondave,

I really like the 9900sl (regular) and have not tried the wide or mid.  Although I would love to give them a try.  I can tell you my ski buddy (200 lbs) went from a Nomad to a wide ride and his skiing shot up significantly, 6 bouys by tournament score.  Milford has had great success with the wide as well.  Scott Chipman may have tried a few of the Goodes but not sure.  I would like his 2 cents on this.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, but I would also would like to know the difference in the sl, mid and wide.  I vote mid or sl for you, not that it means anything.  Good luck.

Thanks Boody. I was leaning towards the mid, but no reasoning behind it. I'd be happy with 1-2 buoys, but 6 would do as well, heh heh.

I have my own creation for bindings. I used rollerblade boots for a few years, but got tired of them falling apart. Now, I'm on Reflex boots, my own G10 plate and dual lock.

• Baller

Dave,

Having skied the Reg. and currently the Wide, my vote is for the Mid. The reason being that the Mid is suppoose to have the cross course speed of the Reg, plus the turning capability of the Wide. In other words, the best of both worlds. I plan to try the Mid. but not till after Nationals.

GOODE LUCK,   ED

• Baller

Dave you obviously run a ton of buoys now so your technique is established as you are also a leaner built guy.

You wont go wrong with either ski, MR or Regular.

I've seen a few buoys run on the Mid-ride as well as the 9900.

At first glance, it probably depends more on your style which ski will fit you.

If you have a big reaching forward countering move, the 9900 would be perfect.

If you are quiet, centered on the ski, the MR would be ideal as it'll engage the tip on the backside of the buoy for you. With it's curvature and surface area, it's going to do the work for you.

Either way, you'll run 38 easily on one of these skis.

• Baller

Of course your going to have the Elite/strada salesman!!

Quite a few guys have moved off the WR to the mid especially the guys that are under 6' and 185lbs. MR fits them a bit better. Better space before the buoy.

Yea, I'd love to try them all, but this time of year, time is limited b/t tournaments. I'm mainly looking for some consistency that seems to have disappeared. Of course, it has to be the ski.... ;-) If that doesn't work, I'm going to go steal my '06 X5!

• Baller

Really looking forward to hear how the MR works, let us know.

Dave Goode, if you are reading I am willing to accept a mid ride for no cost and give you my honest feedback.  Its a win-win Dave!

Or, I will also accept a MR at cost and make payments of $50 a month, let me know.....

Slight set back. I think I broke my foot. Crazy thing is that I have no clue how. It wasn't skiing. OB must have stepped on it when he came up here. I tried skiing today and there is no way it's happening. Guess I'll be the designated driver for our night tournament this Wed.

• Baller

thanks guys, I'm quite interested in JD's z7.  I rode a 67" as it's all that was local and need the 68" as I'm over 200lbs.  didn't notice until I got back on my x5 but it's a bit easier to hold on, I suppose this is what Dave was talking about?

If I can sort out some deadbeat tenants (by the way, never get into landlord situations if you can help it, it truly blows) I will buy JD's ski.  Just wish there were some local stradas to try out but there are not. 

I like the z7 because it feels comfortable first set due to riding kd and d3 for the last few years and I'm in Canada so demo's are not easy to come by.  Anyone try a strada from D3 esp. X5?  thanks all

• Baller

I know know three different people who have hurt their back on the mid ride (as opposed to none on the wide-ride and none on the 9900), so be careful.

Chet Raley measured his Mid-Ride and his Warp and the Warp is wider... Not really sure what the Mid in Mid-Ride means? It's certainly not area...

I agree. Although there was much less stress on my back muscles when I went from an X5 to a Z7. Less effort and could ski longer.

Roger, I just read your post. Is the Mid wider than the regular 9900? I assumed it had to be since the chart says I should be on a 63.75" mid.

• Baller
I'm sure the mid is wider than the 9900 and not as wide as the wide ride, it was just interesting that the mid ride was not wider than another brand's standard ski (which you would expect to be more in line with the 9900).

Thanks JD, so those numbers will get me through 39 like those guys, huh? ;-) I'd be happy if it gets me 38 more often.

Do you have the length via tips? Most calipers I have used vary on the jaws measurement. That's the way I measure, but I'm sure mine are different than others.

Used JD's settings with boots at stock 29.125. Had a very unusual strong wind at the lake this afternoon (storms blowing though right now). Started with a couple 28s to get used to it. Took 35 tail wind with heavy chop. Ran it with no problem. Didn't try much at 38. It impressed me, not that 35 is hard, but that I ran it pretty easy while still being cautious and with a significant tail wind on my 4th pass on the ski.

2nd set with calmer conditions, I was pushing it harder and made it to 4 @ 38 several times. Kept making silly mistakes (why can't I find a ski that takes my brain out of the equation?). I like that I can rip an offside turn without stalling and zero feeling that it might blow the tail.

The does as advertised and fixes the couple things I was having trouble with on my Z7. It maintains speed in the turns no matter how early I get there. And it turns hard without stalling. My Z7 is just as quick cross course and turns just as hard, but I've been having those two issues for a while.

With the water as hot as it is, I'm somewhat content with 4 @ 38 on my second set.

• Baller

clemsondave, Didn't you get the 63.75?  I have a 63.75 arriving tomorrow.  I rode the 65 MSL for a set a few weeks ago and was very impressed.  Out of the 7 skis I have tried this year (3 elites, 1 older D3, 2 Goodes and an older ConnelIy), the mid and wide are the only ones that impressed me.  I am 6' and 165,  which pegs me for the 63.75.  It seems short to me also.  You are about 10 pounds heavier so that makes me feel a little better about the length.

You mentioned JD's settings, but I didn't see them in the posts.  What are the settings you are using?