New Reflex Binding Set Up

jp

I recently made the switch from double Approach boots to a Reflex with Wiley rear.  When I was using the Approach boots I placed a hard foam wedge under the foot bed and above the plate of the rear boot - a heel lift.  I have limited flexibility in my right (rear) ankle and this helped me get in a more balanced stance.  I also rotated the boot out slightly.

Now that you have a little background, I have a few questions...

1.  How do you add a heel lift to the Wiley boot without taking the entire bottom off?  If I remove all the screws it seems the entire binding will need to be rebuilt and it looks 'challenging'.  Can I velcro the lift in?  Adhesive?
  2.  What advice do Reflex users have for initial distance from tail set up - same, back slightly, etc.?

I already rotated the Wiley binding to match the previous set up and it seems to work well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim 

Depending on how much lift you want, you can shim up the rear plate with a small stack of washers between the plate and ski. If you put a lift in the boot, it will make it feel tighter over the instep (arch) of your foot. This may make it harder to slip out in a fall when your Reflex releases. You may need a new wrap so you can fit it looser. Call Darin Wiley and ask his advice. If you have room in the binder, you can insert a Superfeet green insole. It has a bit over a 1/4" heel cup lift.

• Baller_
jp - don't ever take apart a Wiley binding if you don't have new hardware, and about six hands to put it back together.  It'd be worth the shipping to send it back to Darren and have Robert make whatever changes you'd like.  Chuck's right, call Darren 206 762 1300.

• Baller
You could add washers or have it rebuilt but I would take a piece of material ( not sure what just yet) and get it in the thickness you need and trace the bottom of the Wileys binding, cut it out, drill the holes and place it between the ski and the binding plate. I saw one of the pros( not sure who) at the Masters with this fix.

if you need a little extra room in a wiley, boil up some water put it in a large bucket, and drop your binding in.

put as many socks on as you want for space, soap your foot up and as soon as you can bear it slide your foot in and allow the binding to cool around it.

or put the heal lift/superfeet in the wiley and do the procedure as above.

custom fit - always worked for me...

Well, thanks for all of the advise.  I ended up calling Darren at Wiley's.  He assured me the binding would be 'easy' to put back together after I made the necessary adjustment he recommended.  I ended up removing the screws (6 of them) from the back 1/2 of the binding to access the heel pad.  From there I lifted the heel pad and glued down a piece of hard foam I cut, like the base of a flip-flop sandal.  Then it was time to assemble the binding, including new holes for the overlays.  The binding if fine now and I accomplished what I needed to, however I have learned a valuable lesson:  Never start taking apart a Wiley's binding at 10pm knowing you have to ski at 7am the next morning.