Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Broken down tail??

EF

• Baller

I ski an A-1, and have been noticing a light colored ruff patch about 3" long just in front of the fin. my problem is, I flew to Florida and the ski started skiing different, and has progressed to a complete dog out of the ball! What should I do as I've had the ski for about a year? Call HO, or just eat the ski? Anybody else experience anything like this???

Thank you! Frown

• Baller_
Any chance the damage happened on the flight down?  Keep your ticket stubbs and consider a damaged luggage claim, there is a time limit on them, some are 24 hours!

• Baller

Before I send the ski in I would carefully check all the numbers for fin settings. Travel can move things enough to make a difference - even to me.

The tail of the ski is highly loaded. It might soften up with time. Changing conditions might tip a ski's performance from good to bad - especially if the ski has softened up since the last time you were in warm water.

If the bottom surface is getting fuzzy, that could affect your skiing feel. Wet it out with some epoxy (not 5 minute!). Warm the surface with a heat gun (or hairdryer if you are very secure in your marriage) to get the resin to soak in. Wipe off the excess. After the epoxy dries, sand the bottom with 80 to 100 grit so the bottom isn't too slick.

I've had a few skis I retired because I was convinced they had softened up. When I tried the skis later, they felt like new. My style just moved around. Of course, one or two skis did just break down and quit working.

Eric