Lake Mary, Florida

baumer

Found out yesterday from my employer I'll be traveling to Lake Mary, Florida tomorrow for the week next week. I know it's last minute but was hoping to get some sets in while I'm there any recommendations where I can go? I'm bringing my gear hopefully the airline doesn't charge me an arm and a leg for it.

Thanks

Ski Tek isn't that far maybe 20min. they use a tige.. Swiss Ski Ski is about 45min to a hour in Clermont FL thisis one of my favorite sites, ask to ski with Julien they are using the SN200!! Just came back from this area last week water is in the mid 70's shorts only weather, I've been flying alot with my ski gear from the NW and have only had to pay $25 for checked baggage when I fly Delta..  

• Baller

Masterline has the cool slalom roller bag.  I have flown with my gear several times in the bag.  It is padded and has room for all your other gear.  Any room left in the bag I fill with towels.  On Southwest it is free.  On Alaska it is $15, as it is clasified as ski equip.  The bag with my ski and gear always is around 42 to 44 pounds, always under the magic 50 lbs limit.  It is also very well made and other than fading a little, is in great shape for being well used for the last 3 years.  I highly recommend.  OF

The bag is listed at $169.00, I attached a photo from their site.

I am in charge of 250 baggage guys. Trust me on this. At a minimum you need a hard shell ski tube (sport tube). 2 skis, tube, handle and vest is 48 lbs.

Even with a ski tube you are at risk. The TSA rips everything apart and will not repack your stuff like you would want and the safest way is the ski tube.

Delta will not charge you extra for your ski tube unless it is overweight.

I have all kinds of stories I could tell you but no time. I would not ship a soft side ski bag on any airline. You might get lucky a few times, but when you pull your ski out for practice at nats or some important tourney and its cracked, you will understand.    

I have been lucky at this point in time as MS has stated!!! I use a HO Sport Global bag that has the wheels I double wrap my ski in two bags then take my life jacket wrap it around the fin block then towels up front around the tip, rope and handle sit just in front of the bindings.. I work in the Motocross Industry so I usually have a ton of extra equipment that I need to pack for our athletes so jerseys and pants add as extra padding as well.. Going to a event I'm usually right at the 50lbs going home usually 35lbs..

MS what's the hard shell and how much are they??? While waiting for a connection last year I saw a golf bag fall off a carriege cart then get run over by the last cart as it turned to drop it's load.........

• Baller

You could google it and buy it from some random shop, or you could call me up and I will hook it up for you.

Andy, give me a buzz if you are interested and I will see what I can do for you.

Thanks

TS

tadd at h2oproshop dot com

Sorry Tadd, I didnt know that you had them. I got the boot yesterday and mounted it up. She is home Thursday to test it but it looks like it will be the ticket. With this boot I can now get her back foot closer. After watching her ski this weekend, she was tail riding the ski. I did not realize that she had the gap so wide between feet until I looked at her on the platform. Thanks for all your help.    

Call H2oz and Tadd will hook you up. Cant go wrong.

• Baller

MS hit it on the head I think the baggage handlers like to have fun with oversized bags, also in Boston I actually watch the TSA as they take apart my packing and then they put it back together so that it just fits in the box with no care for packing it to protect it. I actually helped one guy to put my ski and stuff back in, but the second guys refused.

I have taken  2 trips with the sporttube and each trip my sport tube was damage in some way. First trip with a brand new box had a hole the size of a half dollar on one of the corners(looks like it was dragged from Boston to NC) the second trip it had a crushed edge. Even with that damage to the tube, the ski and all my stuff was no worse for the wear. I still wrap the fin with a fin protector and bubble wrap and also the tip.

Funny when I shipped the empty tube back to me by FedEx it had no visible damage.

Another thumbs up that Tadd is great to work with.

• Baller

Well I guess I am lucky as I have never had any problems.  In fact my son has a three even bag for jumpers/trick/slalom and never has had an issue either.  Maybe I just don't travel enough I guess.........OF

MS....your on fire as of late.....I got the vest and Nautique banner so we are ready....

DW,

Pay cuts and outsourcing are the biggest challange that I face. Its hard to get quality production out of entry level GED workers. In the past, they were all quality paying jobs and people worked hard to keep them. Since elcheapo air started cattle hearding and oil went through the roof, it has been a keep up with the cheapos atmosphere. Obama will take care of us all.    

88% of the seats sold are break even space fillers and the remaining 12% are the only money making paying passengers on the plane. What it comes down to is 88% of the people flying take advantage of the 12% that pay.

OF,

You have been lucky. It is the 1 time that you get unlucky that will cost you. Fire up the carbon production so it warms up out there.       

• Baller

I have a SportTube and feel like it offers the best possible protection.  But best is not always good enough.  Mine was crushed last fall somewhere between Charleston and Denver.  As a former packaging engineer I was amazed and wondered how this damage was even possible.  Here are the possibilities...

Fell from plane prior to landing.  (Not likely)

Dropped from a 5 story building.  (More likely but probably wouldn't have damaged the SportTube)

Run over by a baggage vehicle.  (Possible but the vehicle probably would have been destroyed)

Most likely it jammed at a corner of a baggage conveyor, holding back 1000 feet of baggage, until it distorted and ejected over the side, falling 5 stories, where finally it was run over by the baggage vehicle.

A word of caution.  The airline would only reimburse me for part of what THEY felt the SportTube was worth.  Since it was in perfect condition but several years old they offered only about half of replacement cost.  When I argued, I was threatened to take it or attempt to appeal through corporate (800 number only) and possibly receive nothing!  How charming.  So not only did I pay to have this baggage on the flight,  there was apparently no guaranty that it would usable or even make it to the other end.  Notice that I didn't mention anything about the CONTENTS of the SportTube.  That's because even though the ski equipment was packaged in the best possible container,  the airline will take no responsibility for the contents.  They claimed that I may not have packaged it properly even though the SportTube was itself was crushed.  Luckily, the damage was minimal.  But if you lose $2000+ worth of gear the reimbursement for the damaged SportTube will not feel very satisfying.

• Baller_
MS, I would certainly expect that, same issues facing most employees these days when outsourced labor is cheap, and that includes everything from phone advisors to manual labor and now moving to engineers and doctors.  The airline biz model certainly has caught up to the "big" carriers, the frequent flyer programs have pretty much killed a paying first class traveller, I have been pretty much bumped up for several years of flying and can pretty much recognize everybody else that has been upgraded as a FF upgrade as well and virtually no actual first class ticket purchasers.  Add in all the vacation travel off the miles earned, ticket price suppression from the newer no frills carriers that have no FF program legacy burden, and presto, a big income problem for the big carriers.  Not surprising to see why they are starting to charge ala carte (but Spirit is ridiculous). 

• Baller
The business traveller is both the frequent flyer AND the airlines most profitable customer, even after the perks. Not the reason airlines are not profitable. 2.4 million miles on American Airlines and Platinum for life... The better seat and food still suck compared to being home.

• Baller

My ski is now going to be my carry on, or wait, better yet.....I will buy a bunch of Stradas and strategically place them all over the US.  No matter where I go, my ski will be there......OF

MS, it was 61 degree air temp and sunny today......

http://www.goode.com/wsacc001.htm

I used to work as a baggage handler for the airline, The first time I traveled with my ski, I got a hard shell from Goode for my ski. As a union baggage handler, myself and co-workers would try and be carefull. However there were times when we couldn't control what happened to someones luggage. For example for a non-wide body aircraft where the luggage is stored loosely into the belly (large body aircraft luggage is normnally put into containers) even though there are nets and straps to help keep the luggage secured and in place, a hard landing by the pilot can cause some major shifting of luggage. What was placed on top of the pile ends up on the bottom. There were even times we couldn't get the door open, had to get the mechanics to take the door off. No matter how you pile luggage onto a luggage cart, if you have to stop suddenly for another crazy driver, luggage can go flying.

Remember OF, Garry S. ski got broken in half, when he checked his ski in with a soft bag.

Now a days they don't pay the baggage handlers enough for them to give a s#*t.