Heat molding RS1 Liners

D Wolters

• Baller
I followed the same routine as stated above based on a previous post by Richard. Just pull the liners out of your boots (when reasonably dry), set the oven on lowest temperature setting above 175 (mine was 225) and preheat oven for 5-10 minutes. Place liners on foil or cookie sheet for 10-20 minutes. I put them back in the boots, slipped in for about 10 minutes. I had not heat molded the first season in mine since they were tight already (I'm a 9.5 foot in a 9 boot with green superfeet insert inside) and they molded nicely over the first couple of sets. At the end of the season they felt a little compressed. The heating really plumped them up and rejuvenated the fit.

Thanks Guys,

Thought about re-heating the one's I've got but the nylon strap for the rear liner is frayed really bad. The velcro of my glove loves it so much I've decided to let them live out their life together as soon as I replace my gloves.

I've got a new pair of liner's waiting to hop on a cookie sheet just brain F**ted and wasn't sure on the temp.

Hey Shane,

How's the side by side compairison going? The Freaking wind hasn't been to nice to me. Three out of five sets it's been howling straight down the lake. 

I recently bought some rs1 bindings what would the benefits be for heat molding my liners they seems to fit fine but then again I have been skiing on xl obrien bio bindings for the past couple years that were way to big for me.

Should I wait to ski in them before I heat mold them or do it before I start sking them?

• Baller
I always wear a thick athletic sock and use ski gloves when taking the hot boot out of the oven. Make sure to get it on immediately while hot and buckle it like your going to ski it. Wait at least 10 mins. for it to cool before you unbuckle it. Always do just ONE boot at a time......ED

454SS,

The concept/idea behind heat moldable liners is custom fit. In most cases each persons Foot is shaped differently could be the instep, arch or just the lenght of your toes. By molding the liner to your foot and boot at the same time you get a custom fit.

When people ask "How do they fit" I reply "Just like my favorate pair of tennis shoes"

• Baller
Actually, Dave.....the Stradas are softer fore/aft. The piece of the outer shell that wraps around the heal and back of ankle is more pliable.  They say the liners are thinner, but they feel thicker on my feet. I guess because of the orthotic insert. I'm running the insert under the liner. I might heat mold mine again to give my toes a bit more room.

There has been some discussion that putting an orthotic in the liner will stiffen the sole enough that it would become too hard for the heel to lift and out in a fall. One of the aspects that is great about the RS-1 style of boot is that changes to the release parameters are easily tested. If the liner is stiffened too much for your taste, I'm sure some generic velcro or hot glue would be enough to hold the orthotic in the shell.

• Baller
I am probably just limited in my fine motor skills, but I found the liner hard to get in the boot "cleanly" and quickly before it started to cool. This is at least in comparison to the powershells and reflex boots I have used over the years. Any tips?

• Baller

Scot, When I did my liners I wet a towel and had it handy. When I went to put the liner in, I wet the inside of the shell with the towel and the liner slid in very easily.

Deke, I put a couple of spots of hot glue under the orthotic to hold it in place.

• Baller

Chef,  I just now re- molded my Strada liner for a second time, after reading this thread.  I don't think I cooked them long enough initially.  This time 225F x10 min on a cookie sheet puffed them up pretty good.  For additional toe space, I simply took two sheets of paper towel, folded in half and rolled  up like a cigar.  Lay the "cigar" across the front of toes and duct tape onto foot, then I put on a lightweight sock for the molding period.  The only slight struggle I had was that the liner shrunk a bit when heated, making the footbed seem too long when re- inserting after heating the liner.  Things seemed to stretch back out okay while the liner cooled.

Shane's trick of wetting the boot also helped the hot liner slip in.  Before molding, I tried boot w/ the footbed both in the liner, and under it.   In my case, the footbed in the liner was a better fit.  As you probably know, the Strada boots now come w/ the separate insole/footbed.