Vests

454SS

• Baller
I don't know about the O'neill, but you need to look into Eagle. The company has really been getting into supporting the sport, and the vests are made in the U.S. The quality is very good in comparison to other vests I looked at at Nationals.

• Baller

454SS,

The Eagle vests do not hold water.  They are relatively thin vest with probably more flexibility than any other vest out there, almost like a second skin.  They do fit pretty snug, so make sure you get the sizing right.  Eagle says that the first time you get the vest on, it may be a bit tight, but they will stretch out a bit with some use, to fit perfectly. 

Oneill makes a quality product as well, but there is something to be said to support a company that supports the sport.  Not sure Oneill is doing much in that area, with the exception of wakeboarding.  Yes, they sponsor a few skiers, but when it comes to supporting the sport (amateur tourneys, pro tourneys, etc) Eagle has them beat on that hands down.

As Scot said, Chuck Gleason (owner of Eagle) has been really getting into the water ski side of things.  He comes from a barefooter/show skier backround, but in the last few years, he has definitely been putting a lot into the slalom side of things, as well as now getting into jump too.  Just came out with a new Jumpsuit.  As well, Eagle is made right in the US.  You can customize anything with Eagle too.  Size, graphics, etc.  If Eagle doesn't have the vest you want in stock, it is a two week build time.  If your vest tears, breaks, etc. Eagle will fix your vest for you, or replace it if it is unfixable.  We have been selling Eagle for almost 3 years now and I would highly recommend any of their products.  We carry all Eagle products.  If you want to check them out, give me a call.  We do our best to take care of all the BOS members, etc.  If you place an order online, make sure to put in BOS10 for free shipping, as well, it helps out Hortons ego too!!  And we all know Horton needs help with the EGO!!

Let me know if you need anything, I will be happy to help.

Tadd

tadd at h2osmosis dot com.

H2OProshop.com

I will affirm that the Eagle will  "nicely" stretch a bit to result in a perfect  fit (for me) after a week or two of skiing. So buy it just a bit snug. 

Though, as the weather warms, I am beginning to worry that the early sets here in Michigan in a few week will be a bit uncomfortable (tight). The holiday pounds just aren't going away by themselves and the vest has probably relaxed a bit toward its origional size.

........ah...an idea......I'll send it to MS  or AB for a few breakin sets.  They seem to have MUCH MORE experience with the Crispy Cream phenomenon than I do.

John M

I use the Eagle vests. I was using the A-10 and after 1 set with an Eagle I was sold.

Dont send the vest here, I am 170lbs with a wet vest on. I know that AB would put a nice stretchin it for you. We are looking at ice yet here in South Canada, so you may be a week or 2 ahead of us. Get on the bike and ride.        

• Baller
I have a questions about Eagle vests.  Do they float you well enought to keep your head above water when you drop to shortend the line or rest?  One thing I hate is having to work to keep my head above water while sitting there resting.

I have not had a chance to get into an Eagle vest yet, but I have tried a Gooru (someone that has been in both can help connect the dots). The Gooru definitely floats low, but it is not very different from any other competition vest. You need to pay a little bit of attention to your breathing cadence. If you exhale deeply on the downward bob, you are pumping your legs on the swing and you will probably put your mouth and nose underwater.

• Baller

I've never really liked the really light comp vests because you DO have to work at staying afloat.......and it takes more work to get out the water each time you drop/get up.   If you drop after each pass you'll burn more energy with a lighter vest IMO.  I'll agree that the thin vests are neat......but assuming that you can find a vest that floats and skis well (range of motion etc.) I'd rather save my energy for skiing.

I have an O'Neill Revenge vest and really like it (actually bought it from Tadd).  Based on Tadd's comments about Eagle versus O'Neill my next vest will hopefully be an Eagle.  

I've seen several of the new Eagle vests are they are cool.

• Baller

There is a definite tradeoff when looking at the thin vests compared to the thicker vests.

The thin vests, Eagle, Oneill Gooru, etc. may not have as much float to it, but you get much more mobility and flexibility of it for sure.

Opposite when it comes to the thicker, Revenge, The Law, etc.  Not as much flexibility but better float.

I do not think that the thinner vests have such bad floatation that you will sink and drown, but you do have to be aware of where you are when floating in the water.  HO 410 has a point about your breathing, etc.

Anyway, in the end, it is personal preference on the vests, and most likely there is one out there that will work for you and what you want out of it.

Anyway, just my 2cents.

Thanks

TS

H2Oproshop.com

I have an Oneill Gooru vest right now and I actually really like it definitely more flexible than any other vest I've worn, it does have its downfalls though I think that it holds to much water and it takes forever for it to dry out which is the reason I'm looking at different options because it has a really bad smell to it from taking so long to dry out even in the sun. Has anyone tried washing theirs does this help at all?

• Baller

Hey TS, 

Awhile back, there had been some discussion and interest about the possibility of Eagle offering a vest w/ a bit more padding and floatation then their norm.  Any idea as to whether this idea is still alive?  A "natural sinker" like me would certainly have interest.

• Baller

Davemac,

I know Eagle has made a few vests, custom with extra floatation in them.  Not sure if they are going to do is as a standard.  If you wanted one, I could get you one, but there would be a custom upcharge on it.

If you did want one, or anyone want a custom vest with extra padding, email me and if I can get enough, I could get the custom charge reduced or dropped.  It would just depend on quantity.  We could do a group sale, BOS Members.  Think about it.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I will speak with Eagle and see what we can do.

Thanks

TS

tadd at h2osmosis dot com.

• Baller

I'm with Davemac.  If I have to work at floating in it it ain't gonna work for me, don't want it.  Gotta be USCG Approved.  I'd think if Eagle made them there is a market for them.  Guess for the time I'll have to stick with my Oneill Law.

Ed

a front loader washer works real well cleaning neoprene wet suits and vests that want to float to the top of the top loading machines.  I have always washed my skiing stuff when they get to stinky with soap and water. My oneil vest is 8+yrs old and still floating. And I have always put my neoprene and vest in the dryer right away when I get home from the lake. Gloves too. If you have buckles on your vest, buckle them and turn the vest inside out, so the bluckles don't bang around in the dryer. And make sure any velcro is attached to what ever it is suppose to be attached to, because it will attach to the first thing it comes in contact with.  AND ALWAYS MEDIUM HEAT, NO HIGH HEAT in the dryer.

• Baller

The Oneill Revenge Comp floats me really well, and I DO NOT float.  There's also a USCG version of the same vest that's a bit less svelte.

Both are front zip which I love, don't want to fight my vest after skiing.  They have a single cinch strap behind the zipper so you can adjust the fit some.

The comp is trim and very comfortable to ski in.  I've worn the eagle also and it's probably slightly more comfortable, but I like the extra lift when floating.

• Baller

I just bought the Eagle Checkmate vest at H20smosis for $75.  For that price if it doesn't float me enough, I'll wear an old flotation belt as well.  Thanks Tadd!  Is it true that the check pattern offers a little more flotation?

JP :)

Jipster,

I had the checkmate and now use the vertibre. The checkmate was a bit thicker and did float higher but not much. I dont have the sinking issue and I also love to blow air bubbles while I am thinking about the next 6. I breath better.

cant beat 75 bucks from TRS  

• Baller
Thanks, Tadd.  I dropped you an email.  I would definitely be onboard...especially for a group by if others here show interest. Any other  deep water skiers or those "void of natural bouyancy" have interest in this? 

I've found a good compromise between the two extremes.  If you can find a USCG approved vest that doesn't have padding on the sides next to where your arms hang down, the bulk doesn't get in the way.  I have a Helium Celtic vest and like it very much - sorta feel like Batman with fake muscles.  www.heliumwake.com 

I also have a thin (swat wake) one.  I prefer the thicker because of the impact protection.  The thin one feels like sitting in a car without the seatbelt on - just a bit unsafe.

• Baller
There needs to be an in-between when it comes to the flotaion.  USCG approved are really bulky but float you well, but some of the non-USCG like Gooru or eagle float you very very little.  I like Tad's proposal, just get an Eagle with extra floatation and a front zip and you are good to go.  But it will cost you.

• Baller

HO410 is right.

Spoke with Eagle this AM.  $30 Custom Floatation charge to get extra padding in it.

Chuck from Eagle told me that the vests have 13mm padding front and back in them and he could bulk up the back of the vests to 23mil like they do with the womens vests.  This way it would keep the front flexibility in tact.

I am checking to see how many vests it would take to get the fee waived.

If you are interested, post and I will see what I can do.

As always, I will do my best to take care of all the BOS members, so we will see what we can get done.

Seems as of now, just a few (2-3) would be interested.  So let me know.

(edited below cause I am an idiot)(meant to say Helium, but for some reason, was thinking Jet Pilot)

Also, Gern, saw you posted about the Helium.  We have carried them here in the shop, but they were never too popular.  As well, the side zips rubbed arms too much.  Helium wasnt too interested in hearing any of my thoughts about it as well.  The wakeboarders liked them, so that is all they cared about.

So be it.

TS

H2OProshop.com

tadd at h2osmosis dot com

This morning was just a glance and go. +/- $120 for a vest is already a bit rich for my blood. However, $30 for customizing the cut and layering of the neoprene sounds like a screaming deal to me. $50 for customized rubber and graphics, on a vest that is already darn near custom? If you will already go $120, that really sounds like a pretty reasonable deal. However $75 for one of those H20s closeouts might tempt me enough when I get the itch to spend some money.

• Baller

Alright, I spoke to Eagle and got the details.

If we can get at least 10 people interested and good to go on a "extra padded" vest, then Eagle will waive the surcharge.

I already know that:

Gern,Richard Doane, DaveMac are for sure interested.

If we can get a few more, we could make it happen to get the surcharge dropped.

It would take 2 weeks to build the vests, and then shipped out right to you.

Eagle only asked to keep it to one style of vest.  It can be whatever color they make, but only one style.

So, lets say the Bird of Prey...  Comes in Red/Black, Neon/Black, Blue/Black, White/Black, Black/Black.

Let me know if you are interested.  Could be the first BOS Group Buy.  i would think Horton may want one, but I am pretty sure he has built in floatation without a vest. The more vests, the better I could do on the final price as well.

Let me know

Thanks guys

TS

H2Osmosis/H2oproshop.com

• Baller

JP,

Before any discounts and if the surcharge is waived, Eagle vests run $134.95.

Depending on the count, I will do a Group/BOS deal, just have to see what the tally would be.

Scot, as far as sizing, I am a short guy, with a short torso as well, I dont think they are any longer than any other vest I have used.  But I understand where you are coming from.  I would size it out according to height, weight, chest size, waist size.  Let me know and I will see where you fall in the chart.

Thanks

TS

Tadd,

I'm interested.  I bought a medium from Seth at the Nationals this year.  It is very tight and my mouth is barely above water when I am at the ends.  Any chop in the water makes it harder to breath.  I'm not a natural floater.  More like a sinker.  So I'd probably be interested in a large(I'm 5'9" 172 lbs).  I assume that wouldn't be too loose since the medium is fairly tight.  I love the way the vest feels, how light it is (even wet), and how much freedom I have with it.  Will the extra floatation make the fit even smaller?  I've always been a USCGA vest user but it is hard to find one that gives me range of motion and doesn't give me carpet burns on my biceps.

Adam

• Baller

Hey guys.

Have had some interest in the Extra Padded Eagle.

I am going to give it another week.

If you are interested, email me and I will get you on the list.

Thanks

Tadd

H2OProshop.com