INT

disland

I was the Michigan State Coordinator for several years.  I fully support the INT and its mission to reach out to the masses.  INT does not sanction tournaments from a waterski perspective - your scores do not count on the USA WS ranking list, for regionals, or Nationals.  They do, however, count for the INT US Championships (great time and family party).

You cannot host just one INT tournament - you sign up for being a State Coordinator for at least a year.  You produce events - a high quality event that has music, banners, announcements, etc.  It is just a high quality product.  USA WS has no such requirements.  INT does not, however, have the need for the same level of officials as USA WS - it is more of a F-level tournament and low stress.  The two organizations have very different goals and consequently different ways of running the actual events.

If you can handle producing 3-6 high quality events per year, plus spending a long week at the US Championships, contact the INT and see if being a State Coordinator is right for you and them.  It will be a near full time job during the summer months for little compensation.  It can be a lot of fun.

One more point, INT is Slalom, wakeboard, and kneeboard (surf and hydrofoil, if you really want).  You have to be able to support a different kind of 3-event.  The benefit is that whole families will come out.  If you run it well, you will have lots of volunteers to help  - parents supporting their kids and older teens who are incredibly responsible.

Email me if you have any other questions.

Good luck.

Sort of - as I understand it, it is a non-profit.  That said, it is a marketing organization.  It is a bit more expensive than the USA WS events, but it is typically a higher quality event from a polish perspective.  You feel like you are at a pro event, not a typical USA WS event with no banners, announcer, background music, commercials, medals, etc.  Two different goals and two different events.  The state coordinator can make some money, but I never was in the black by much.  It costs a lot to put on the events and it takes a lot of time and effort to set up.  The results are great for the sport.

• Baller_
It's only profitable because of the free labor from the volunteers.  The Corporate aspect of the INT does a great job of Marketing itself, and getting the big advertizing names to be on board.  I had a great time as an INT skier, and met a lot of great people.  But as your skiing ability gets better, the USA Waterski (sanctioned) events are a better fit. 

• Baller
Agree. INT events were so helpful to me when I was a completely new to tournaments, but they're so loose in their game day structure that it doesn't give you the same experience as a sanctioned event. I wish there was a way to merge the strengths of the INT marketing / event production and the structure of USAWS. I'm just a noobie, so I don't know what I don't know...but that should be the focus of the new ED for USAWS IMHO. We've managed to create some of that here in Ohio with the Buckeye Buoy Tour...and from what I understand other states do something similar...but it's all at the local level. Yes, there's State's, Regionals, & Nationals...but that's the same old standard format with the same people every year. If INT is anything, they are creative and are willing to try anything to grow the sport. Perhaps the future of water skiing resides with the likes of Stocks instead of the future USAWS ED?

• Baller

To expand a bit on what Richard said.  That's why they refer to INT as "the little league of watersports" because they're more oriented to the folks who are too intimidated by the talent level at AWSA events to ever enter one.  Everyone starts somewhere; INT is an entry level to watersport competition much as Little League is to competitive level baseball. 

I tend to think of an INT tournament as being somewhat like a country club golf tournament.  For the most part you have mostly folks who don't have a snowballs chance at a "real" or "serious" tournament, or who just simply aren't interested in that type of competiton.  Folks who want to compete on some level but who want include their families and operate at a lower competitive level, as well as to compete equally with folks at a similar level to themselves whatever that level may be.  IMO it's really more about the comradery than it is the competition.  That mind set works for an entirely different group of skiers than AWSA does.

In that regard INT is not at all competition to AWSA for skiers.  Quite the opposite; as Richard said, as your skiing ability gets better the USA Waterski (sanctioned) events may well be a better fit.  A lot of INT'ers have moved up to AWSA as they've gotten better and gotten their competitive fires stoked.  Skiers who may well never have had an opportunity to find out what competition was about had they not started with an INT event.  So rather than being a competitor INT is actually very much a feeder to AWSA's ranks and as such should be viewed as a positive adjunct to AWSA as opposed to being viewed negatively as being competition.  A very significant number of todays top wakeboarders i.e. started in INT.  Check it out if you don't believe me.

I have a lot of personal contact with the state coordinators being a national INT sponsor myself.  If any of them are making any money at all off INT it's not much, and for the amount of work they put into it IMO they deserve anything they do make.  The major watersports companies tend to put a lot of support into INT for two reasons - 1) INT'ers are very loyal to their sponsors and support them enthusiastically, and 2) INT'ers pay retail for the products they buy from them.  Smart business on their part IMO.

Ed 

I had a great time skiing INT in Minn. I brought the CC for a few years while they operated here. There is no way to keep INT going without steady volunteers. The state coordinators lasted 4 years and another guy gave it a go and failed. We have had no INT since 2005 and they are looking for a state coordinator now. Finding quality venues at an affordable cost is tough.   

• Baller

I started skiing in competition with the INT as well.  At that time they were more focused on slalom skiing and in our state most tournaments were on private lakes.  Over time wakeboarding took off and most of the private lakes would not rent their sites.  I don't know all the reasons, but I heard several different things.  The wakeboard boats tore up the shore, some of the lake owners had personality differences with INT organizers, the lake owners wanted more money making it not cost effective for INT, among other issues.

As a slalom person, I wanted to go to private lakes and ski.  The more the better.  As the number of lakes that INT was able to host tournaments at dwindled, so did my interest.  Not only that, but the longer I was involved, the more frustrations there were.

1-Most tournaments were just one slalom round per day.  Each day was a seperate tournament so for two rounds, it got expensive fast. 

2-Being ability based, not age, was cool at first.  The problem was that if a person improved at a rapid rate, they would move up a class or two in a season.  When this happened, you would only take a percentage of your points you had earned with you to the next class.  At the end of the year this could hurt you when it came time for the Championships.  You could kick butt all year and at the end, not be able to go to the championships because a person who had been in the same class all year had more points than you, but not actually be better than you.  It was hard to tell your kid that they kicked butt all year, but could not go to the championships because they did not have enough points in the class they ended the year in.

At least in USA water-ski, we all pretty much know what we have to achieve in order to get to regionals and nationals.  Neither one is perfect, but I would rather know I was in control of whether I qualified for regionals or nationals.

3-Once my kids were exposed to three event skiing, they wanted to jump as well as ski.  There was no avenue to jump in INT.  As far as trick skiing, it would have been cool to allow people who ride a trick ski to compete in the wakeboard class.  Just make the point system to where if you were on a trick ski, you scored more points for each trick you did to keep you on par with wakeboard point system.  Much like USA water-ski does with a person who rides a wakeboard on their trick pass.

4-Boat drivers and times.  Now times are no real issue with all the boats having ZO.  When I was skiing, times were not recorded and the ride you got was dependant on how knowledgable the driver was with PP and adjusting it to get good times.  There was and as far as I know still no formal driver training and qualification in INT.  As we all know, a good driver can make all the difference in the world to how your pass goes.  In the lower classes this may not be as big a deal, but I would argue that for novice skiers, a driver can make all the difference in the world.  This is because the pull out is so important in just getting the skier up.  Then having the correct speed dialed in and entering the course at that speed.

5-Allowing a re-ride if you fall on your first pass, was cool at first.  After awhile I learned that I would rather have a drop at each end.  The only way you got a drop was if you were cutting rope.  When I first started I was just trying to get to my max speed so had to spin at the end.  I finally learned that  the re-ride was not all that great.  I just wanted good water and a drop at each end.  To get that, all I had to do at a USA sanctioned tournament was start at a speed and line length I knew I could always make no matter what, that was I would never need the opening pass re-ride.  I certainly would not be adverse to USA water-ski to allow a skier a re-ride if they fell on their opener in a C class tournament.  We all have done it I am sure and would have benifit it one time or the other.  It could not be allowed in a record tournament.

6-We were limited to four passes max.  This was okay most of the time, but sure sucked when you were on a roll and ready to PB and was not allowed to take that 5th pass.  I understand why the rule, but it was frustrating.

7-There was really no limit to how many skiers could compete.  Because of this, at many tournaments it was all about getting as many rides as possible in the shortest amount of time.  It came at times to the detriment of the skier.  Running two classes with two boats at the same time.  There was many times I was setting up in the rollers of the boat that had just came back to the dock.  I understand that you never want to turn skiers away who want to ski, but at times it felt like it was more about how much $$ could be made, not the skier experience.

Now if you have read this far you may think I am an INT basher.  That is not my intent.  I am just expressing my experiences and frustrations.  I am well aware that this is my experience in my state.  I know many other people from many other states that ski both INT and USA water-ski and have not experienced the same issues.  I think much of this is due to them being competitive skiers who are just trying reach out to the group of skiers USA water-ski ignored.  They understand both needs and have tried to mesh the two together.  There was an obvious need in our sport that INT stepped in and filled.  If there wasn't, INT would not have been and still be so successful and USA water-ski would not be putting so much new emphasis on the grassroots program. 

The sad part of all of this, is that having two different organizations doing many of the same things, splits many of us.  I have several people I ski with that only ski INT or only USA, yet we all practice and socialize together.  It is has been said before, it is much like when Indy Racing League split from CART making two open wheel racing series.  In the end, the sport of open wheel racing suffered.  Even though it is again been unified.  The damage has been done.  That is also the time NASCAR took off and many drivers, fans and sponsorers switched their allegiance to NASCAR.

With the announcement of the INT and the World Wakeboard Sanctioning body coming together, I could not help but note how many times "Insurance" was mentioned.  I have heard that USA water-ski and INT early on tried to combine having one feed into the other.  I heard that the real issue came down to insurance and who was going to profit from it.  I have talked to many an insurance person about this and they all have told me that is where money is made.  Insurance company's are in the business of making money and a sport like water-skiing/wakeboarding needs it.  We all know that there is not much money in running tournaments, so in order to make it worth anything is make it from the insurance.

I hope that when USA water-ski gets a new director, the merge of all sanctioning bodies will be looked into.  It would be very cool to have INT as kind of the grassroots and when you get to a level you feel comfortable you can start scoring with your age division.  You could also be developing drivers and judges as well.  You could run all divisions at one tournament and would only have to have shore judges once you get to the higher level classes.  I guess what I am saying is bring the good of the INT and the good of USA water-ski and mesh them together.  At the very minimum have it so a skier only has to pay one membership fee a year to ski all events.  Wakeboarding would also benifit. 

This sport is going to die as we now know it, if nothing is done.  Even now, there are very few up and coming three event skiers.  Maybe three event needs to change to Slalom, Wakeboard and Jump.  I don't have the answers, but I am trying to do all I can to keep the sport I love alive.  OF  

• Baller

Friendly and ALL,

The only part that really bothers me is the point about money and insurance. Partnering with WWA on insurance makes hosting events way less expensive I would think; which makes it easier for coordinators to host more events, possibly charge less for entry fees, and maintain a tour in their state. It does not mean that anyone makes more money.  USA water ski should focus on what they do best: hosting small record capable tournaments for slalom, jump, and trick. They also do a great job at judge and driver training, they should continue to encourage skiers of all levels to get involved in those clinics and get trained. In the big picture, the sport NEEDS that quality training to support the higher level athletes as time goes on.  They should leave grass roots events up to INT, whose purpose is to introduce the sport to new people around the world. They do a great job involving skiers and riders of all ability levels from novice to shortline. They should not try to be everything to every one, INT sees the value that USA brings to the water sports community, and encourages them to keep doing what they do best.
The main reason USA wanted to partner with INT was to grow their membership base and try to increase their profits by having more participants under their umbrella, with very little compensation to the INT organization.  Which ultimately would probably lead to a severe downfall to the integrity and professionalism of the INT events.  For INT the EVENT is the product they are selling.  Through INT, all that effort goes back into the industry, because it is the 'Event' is actually selling the 'industry' to the consumer. USA Waterski was not capable to improve their insurance policy to meet the high standards of INT, so the deal didn't make sense, and therefore did not happen.  That's ok though. There is still plenty of space in the market for both organizations to be successful. And frankly, the sport needs these two organizations.  It helps keep everybody honest.

Not a single person in their right mind would run a business to loose money, it has to be profitable, otherwise its financial suicide. Both organizations have to have staff and business expenses. USA waterski certainly makes money, if they didn't...then how would they exist and why would they keep doing it year after year?  I think it’s important to remember, even though there is someone out there making money running a water sports company, they sure as hell aren’t making much of it.  No one in this sport is in it to make millions.  It’s just too small of an industry. 

We should be thankful for all the people involved with these companies because most do it for the love of the sport, definitely not the money. These guys work long hours for little money, just so all of us can have a sick board or ski to ride, and an opportunity to ride it somewhere that we can show off our skills to the world. And that is just cool.

• Baller

I think the concept behind INT was great, but I think even they missed the boat when it comes to scoring tournaments. They have so many different ability divisions that on any given weekend you're still only competing against 2 or 3 other people in your division if you're lucky. Is that good competition? In my opinion, the only way to hold a really fun and competitive amateur event is to utilize handicapped scoring so that every skier is competing against every other skier at the event.

I can say that I've "won" dozens of tournaments, but if you ask me which tournament performances are the most memorable, the ones at the top of my list are placing 5th at regionals, placing 5th at collegiate regionals, and placing 2nd in our state ski tour. Why? Because I had to ski to the best of my ability and beat a lot of competitors to get those awards. Maybe it's just me, but competition makes the weekend a lot more fun.

Since the INT gets a lot of newbies, it is hard to handicap until they get to a relatively stable result.  The divisions make it possible.

Each State Coordinator has some latitude in how to effectively run their events.  There is not a perfect solution to all events for all people.  It is good to have a diversity of events. 

I believe that USA WS will die out due to the lack of replacement officials.  There is a need to dramatically shorten the period to become a judge, scorer, and driver.  Most people will not tolerate the current process unless the entire family skis or they are single.

Karl

• Baller

Karl, this was an interesting line: "I believe that USA WS will die out due to the lack of replacement officials."

In this thread you said "I burned my family out in just a few years."

This was as an INT coordinator correct?

It's just an odd conflicting comment as we hear all the time about coordinators putting so much on the line, bearing the burdens, not making any money but where does the money actually go? are checks written every event that go to HQ? and then what?

Also, the louisiana coordinators went belly up after 2-3 years and quit. The Texas coordinator same thing. Mass, different coordinators? Ohio, coordinators might be on the fence? It's nationwide.

If it was easier and cheaper, there might be more states actually participating consistently.

Instead, AWSA tournaments are slammed full, waiting lists and smiles everywhere while buoys are run.

The AWSA tournaments arent' about the banners, the marketing, the ads, the revenue, the music and the MONEY. It's about the skiing, socializing without overburdening others and wondering what is really going on.

The new skiers to the sport don't know any better so they easily get caught up into the hype at the INT tournaments.

Guys like GK in Ohio are promoting skiing the right way as are others nationwide.

• Baller

Out west, the bulk of the new AWSA skiers come out of the college ranks now. Junior Development is starting to feed AWSA as well. INT was fun but not the massive feeder to AWSA that it could have been.

I (and a huge group of high level AWSA skiers my age in CA) came out of Al Frosini's Novice Nationals series (big thanks to Al and Bob Mello the ski shop sponsor). It was very similar to INT. So the INT idea and format is valid. And the INT tournament I went to as a skier and judge was a fun event. I hope INT thrives - it is good for the whole sport.

Eric

• Baller

Ah, the INT bashing begins...  I figured that it would.  Still a few of you who don't want to accept that there are other valid ideas out there that can help grow and support the sport.  But it's always easier to see the negatives I suppose...

In Karl's defense I don't believe that he was saying that he was hoping AWSA would die because of the requirements it takes to become a rated judge, driver, etc.  He was making an observation that it's becoming harder to find the time for enough folks to fulfil the requirements to become judges etc and that is an issue that is choking down the organization.  His statement was that if that continues unaddressed the organization suffers and begins to whither away.  Karl isn't taking any joy in that or wishing that to happen, and it doesn't read that way if you go reread his statement.  He made a valid observation.  If you don't like the sound of it that's another issue but Karl doesn't deserve to be thrown under the bus for simply making an ugly but reasonable observation. 

I'll be the first to tell you that INT isn't perfect, and I'm a national sponsor putting significant resources (for a company the small size of mine) into it.  Yeah there are issues; anyone who's ever tried to organize a tournament will tell you that there are all kinds of things that make it tough to do well, and you're never going to make everyone happy regardless of what you do.  Too many rules, not strict enough rules, too many divisions, not enough divisions, wrong boat, wrong speed control, blah blah blah.  You need someone who has some real business sense to be a state coordinator, and I'll tell you I've dealt with a few who could'nt organize themseves out of a locked car.  When a state fails IMO it's usually because the coodinator wasn't up to the task, not some fault of INT as an orginazation or a concept. 

There are other ways to address tournament rules and divisions that are working and make sense and INT would be well advised to take a look as some of them.  INT makes rules changes every year if the changes make things better, fairer, etc.  They're open minded to change and to new ideas, one of the numerous reasons they're still going strong despite the downturn in the economy etc.  Throw it out there and lets get them looking at those ideas. 

In Kansas where I'm involved we don't stop at 4 passes if someone is rocking it.  You go until you miss, period.  We set skiers at both ends unless they want to be spun.  A lot of novices prefer to spin i.e.  If we screw something up we give rerides.  Yeah we don't have "rated" drivers; I've probably had enough coaching from rated drivers to be a rated driver, and god knows I've driven enough sets pulling skiers of all levels (up to 38 off anyway).  So why don't I go get a rating?  1) don't have the time, and 2) I really don't care.  I've seen a lot of really good drivers in INT; I've seen some who weren't good.  If you want a better driver, help train one or drive some yourself.  INT runs on volunteers who are honestly trying to do a good job and doing the best they can with what they have to work with.  In other words trying to be a part of the solution.  It's Little League, it ain't AAA ball.  Cut a little slack here.  Completely a different mindset from AWSA and more oriented to the more casual tournament skier who isn't concerned about ratings or rankings.  That doesn't work for everyone, that's why there's more than one organization out there doing this. 

I've heard a lot of pissing and moaning about how INT is all about making huge money off the insurance.  Really?  You gotta have insurance, someone has to pay for it.  AWSA has insurance and a national organization to support, who pays for that?  The members do.  Who makes money off that?  Same folks IMO, the insurance companies.  Is INT Corporate getting rich off insurance?  If you have proof this is the case put it out there for us to see it, otherwise it's all just whining and bitching and opinion.  Prove your statements or they're no more than your (negative) opinion.  I've heard that for the probably 10 years I've been associated with INT and to date I've not seen one shred of evidence that there is any fact to back that claim.  Show me some proof.

As I stated earlier, INT is a different mindset and a different venue and appeals to a different group of folks from ASWA.  INT is not the enemy.  It isn't completely The Answer either.  But it's a good organization and the people who run it, both on the local and the corporate level, deserve some respect and support.  I for one put my money where my mouth is.  Anyone else?

Ed

• Baller

I have a question about costs. I've skied the INT a couple years. Now that I'm getting a bit better, I'm thinking about trying a couple AWSA tourneys this year. I've always seen folks say that the INT is more expensive than the AWSA tourneys. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

If I ski all five nor-cal INT tourneys at $30 a pop plus the $50 membership, it's a total of $200. If I ski the five AWSA tourneys closest to me at $50 a pop, plus the $70 USA Waterski membership, it's a total of $320. Am I missing something here? I was thinking of skiing some of both, but with two memberships, that gets a lot more expensive, fast.

I guess the deciding factor will be if my wife wants to ski the tourneys this year. She'll definitely want the INT over the AWSA because of the mulligans.

I am not bashing the INT or USA WS.  I fully support the INT's mission and wish them well. 

Nobody in the INT or USA WS is getting rich from watersports.  It takes a lot of money to put on events.  If you have put on a tournament, you know what it takes.  With the INT, because the event is a production, you have the production costs to fund.  You also have the cost to HQ for event insurance and per participant. HQ funds the US Championship - and that is a really well done event.  You should see one.

I recommend those interested in the USA WS and INT organizations read Jim Collins new book "How the Mighty Fall."  It is a study of organizations in decline and how they can recover.  Watersports organizations are in on the cusp - because the "market" has matured.  We now have a choice - focus and adapt or die (or fall into obscurity).

I have a passion for watersports and have put my money where my mouth and passion is.  I don't have all of the answers, but a few of them and lots of good questions.  What I do know is that we must provide a fun at a value.  INT has been doing that better than USA WS events for the beginners and novice families.  Since this is the prime way to recruit and replenish our ranks, we MUST pay attention.  The major difference is INT is the event promoter and USA WS is simply a sanctioning agency relying entirely upon Local Organizing Committes.  INT is interested primarily in the fun aspects of the event.  USA WS is primarily concerned with compliance with the rules - not running events.  This is because how the bylaws for each organization are constituted and what their mission is.  You really cannot mash the two together and make it work.

What we can do is support both organizations and try to make each healthy and durable over the long term.  This takes volunteering at INT events, perhaps becoming a State Coordinator for a few years (about as long as you stay really motivated). 

For USA WS, it is a personnel issue on the ED and board levels.  We need to have people who understand the life cycle of our organization and to be proactive in leading and managing the organization. "The right people, in the right seats on the bus."

• Administrators

Hey Zapper (aka richarddoane)
You said “I think "thou shall not bash" is one of BOS Ten Commandments, so I apologize if comments offended.”

I want honest opinion - honest opinion is not bashing. Getting pissed off and calling someone a jackass for their opinion is what I do not allow. As long as it is friendly and honest, say what ever you think.

You also said “USA Waterski should adopt the positive parts of the INT, and vice versa IMO.” Hallelujah brother. For me as a skier USA WaterSki is the only way to go but for growth and promotion of the sport INT is miles ahead. INT's deal with WWA is thinking outside the box. I still do not totally understand it but all the really smart industry people I have talked to say it is a very big and smart move.

Roughly stated, INT is a marketing company and USA WaterSki is a sporting federation. The real difference to the skiers is the cultures. USA WaterSki unfortunately appears unfriendly to newcomers. I do not understand this but that is the standard complaint from non-USA WaterSki participants. INT is more like a small business for the local organizer so being as inclusive as possible and promoting it as much as possible has a financial incentive. 

If I were not a grumpy, perfect water, perfect driver, actual boat time, exact speed control setting  - geek I would totally ski INT.  Since the sport/hobby for me requires these things I ski USA WaterSki. Otherwise I think INT is a way better experience. 

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

Well stated Horton!

This is simply another case of "Not neccessarily right or wrong, -Just different"... Why in the world "should" we or "could" we ever agree on a format, or the same Music, the same truck, the same church, the same Beer or the same definition of Fun? I say, "what ever blows yer skirt up". -Do that!  What ever helps to grow the sport,  -do that!

There's a lot of really regimented, anal, up tight people who love to slalom but, don't really want to share their water and there's a growing # of people who are more like Bill Murray's platoon in "Stripes" who fly by the seat of their pants and love gettin' R done with a totally different idea of Fun... Different strokes for different folks. Me personally, I'm a "Stripes" kinda guy and I  love the looser, everyone is welcome, let's rock this joint, wakeboarder mentality... -Not wrong, just different!

Grow the sport.   

Nada on the INT in 09. (cancelled in TN.) Had my sites set on this season, but This economy probably isn't going to allow anyone to jump out there and try to start something anytime soon... And even if they did, Some const./real estate types like me are getting hit pretty hard and I'm wondering if I will even be able to get out and ski much this season... (kinda hoping I can keep the House and Boat!) But, I'll sure be a part of the INT. when things turn around. Even if I have to go a little out of State. (provided gas/diesel isn't pushing $5 per Gal.!)

and for the record, I'm definetly not against any format. I'd just like to see the sport prosper and grow. regardless of who or how.

Absolutely for growing the sport and the FUN!

*** Clarification on my above post stating; "There's a lot of really regimented, anal, up tight people who love to slalom" etc. etc.

My above examples were never meant to represent the INT. or the AWSA or any gov. body. These two extremes were only meant to exemplify the contrast of different people and personalities (whom I have observed) that still  both have the sport of Slalom in common...

I appologize if my hasty writing caused any offense.