Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

E-Series by Fluid Motion - any opinions? Anyone using them?

Chris D

I am researching many different bindings and plan to switch from HO Animals this spring. I'm getting ready to purchase an A1 in a week or so. The HO Rep says HO is bringing out new bindings later this summer (hardshells) - but I don't think I want to wait.

I ski with 2 guys who use the Quattro Double 6 from Fluid Motion (so I know all about those) (probably won't go this route because of cost - about $1000 and I'm leaning away from bindings like these, Fogmans and Goode). Each of those bindings have a few hurtles that for me personally I don't want to jump over. (at this point)

So - by process of elimination and through reading a ton of forums, I'm interested in the E-Series by Fluid Motion and possible RS-1's by Radar. However, the RS-1 is something I saw someone using this past summer and the bindings were all ready falling apart. (the leather material was ripping and tearing). So - based on that alone - I am leaning away from those (I would like them to last longer than one season). Also the RS-1 seems to have some comfort issues (based on some posts I read) related to screws poking through the bottom, etc, etc thus requiring super-feet, etc, etc.

Which leads me to the E-Series. A little costly for a traditional binding setup but I like the hardshell setup, the breakaway upper's, comfortable liners.

Is anyone skiing on the E-series- any opinions. Any pro's using them? Any major falls? How is the release mechanism? (tension, etc, etc). What about durability of the release? What are the chances of on an OTF fall leaving one foot still in the binding while another comes out?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks - I just spoke with Paul (prior to seeing your response). I didn't think about asking about a demo program and he didn't offer. But he mentioned a guy skiing on A1 with e-series so i just emailed him. I'll see how he responds.

• Baller
Whose RS-1s did you see that were tearing up??? I've been on mine for more than a year now (8 sets a week) and they show no signs of wear period. The info about comfort could not be more wrong either. There are no screws to get into your feet as you describe. People are wearing superfeet for comfort and/or to add volume inside the liner. They are the most comfortable binding's I've skied on.I've taken every type fall including the extreme out the front since I got them and I've always stayed all in or come all out. Exactly what I want. The E Series look to be a good design to me, so I'm not attacking them at all. I personally like the simplicity of the RS-1 system better (no releasable cuff mechanism). 

It was a guy that I don't normally see at the lake at ski at. we have 20 memberships per lake (2 lakes) - so you gave me an idea to see if I can't find out who it was and talk with him directly.

Okay - that took way to much time: I found the comments (it was actually on this site by PSM back on May 12, 2008):

He said:

After a couple of weeks of use, I'm still struggling with toe discomfort on my front foot (big toe). I've heat molded the liners 3 times, each with more "toe caps" and stuffing to try and "pack out" that area for relief. My shoe size is a 10.5 normally, so I purchased the 11 RS-1's. The rear boot feels great.  Has anyone experieced similar, and if so, any ideas for remedy? Maybe I just need to "suck-it-up", and the pain will go away eventually? It's right where the nail meets the skin (cuticle) on the medial side of the big toe. But it's not an in-grown toe nail.

After reading more - I think my memory didn't serve me well and I probably "created the screw" theory in my brain!!!!

Nice to hear you have had such good experience with the RS-1. In fact after reading that whole post again (and you have a lot of input to it) - it was extremely helpful, but probably put me back in "undecided" mode! LOL Perhaps I need to find a way to try BOTH because they both seem to get positive reviews. Thanks for the insight Roger.

Chris

I picked up the E series last summer and I must say they are the best bindings I have ever owned. I think the combination of safety and performance is unmatched by any other binding out there right now. May last set of bindings were the Quattro Double 6 and I feel that these are a much more simpler release mechanism and with that they are a bit safer overall. Plus they are a lot lighter than the Double 6. I would suggest getting the "pro build" as that gives you an extra buckle on the front boot and shims in both the front and the rear to stiffen the bindings up a bit. Overall I would recommend them to everyone. Love life!

• Baller

I ski RFF with RTP.  I moved from an Animal RFF to the E-Series (Pro-build).  Ditto on everthing Tom said.  I haven't worn any other hard shell / Hyrids; but, this one feels great and it was a pretty easy transition.  Jager Sports has great cutomer service to boot.

• Baller
I am on the E series as well.  I moved them closer together from stock and they feel great.  Good release and very light.  Finally, a hardshell that is safe, performs and light. 

• Baller

I really like my RS-1s (I know Boody had some issues, but most have not that I have seen or read about). I took a close look at the E-Series last week while out at Okeeheelee as someone showed up there with a set. I didn't try them or anything, but they look every bit as safe (the release mechanism looks fine to me) and comfortable as what I'm riding, so I'd think you would be fine with whichever you prefer.

Thanks for the insight - glad to know quite a few people are having good experiences with the e-series. I'm still debating about pulling the trigger on these. I just bought an A1 off an HO Rep who came to our lake. He brought out two sizes of skies and was helpful with me choosing the right ski. It is a thousand times better than the Monza (IMO). He understands I am eager to switch into new bindings but tried to encourage me to consider waiting until late summer when HO should be releasing their new hardshells. Though he doesn't know for sure (or wouldn't say for sure) - he said they will be somewhat similar to fogmans. It is tempting to wait - but reading the posts above gives me confidence in choosing FM e-series. thanks - i'll let you know what I decide

• Baller

Wow Roger thats awesome. Ive been skiing for 47 years and am still inventing new ways to fall. In fact today I tried a double wake spin with a face plant. Bindings should feel better than your best pair of performance shoes.

The only way to know is to try them. 

• Baller
"Double wake spin with a face plant"?  Next time incorporate a tail grab for style points/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-smile.gif