Need new double boot setup

mopowpow

I'm thinking about switching from double HO Approach boots to Radar RS1 boots.  Do you know of any women that use these boots?  I am 5' 8" 145-150 lbs with a women's size 9.5(men's size 8) foot. 
I have always had trouble getting boots to fit without any slop.  The best were Animals, but I like the lateral support of the Approach.  I currently use an after-market foot bed in the Approach to take up the extra room.  Will I get a good fit with the RS1 and the intuition liner?  I still plan on using an aftermarket footbed.
I also heard a rumor that HO is coming out with a new hard boot/release system mid-season.  They supposedly have been working with one of the snow ski binding companies on a releasable binding.  Does anyone know about this?  Should I wait?
Thanks for any input.

• Baller_
I wouldn't wait, you'll do well in RS-1's with a foot bed. One of the problems with hardshells for women is that they don't come in small enough sizes. I hope that will change, but for now you're fortunate to have a foot large enough for the Radar boots. I've found that heat-molding the liners makes them grow a little, so I'd recommend just putting your footbed inside the liner and as you use them they will slowly form to your feet. Good Luck on your new footwear !

• Baller

I agree with Richard. The RS-1 system (if it fits you ok) is excellent. I also don't heat-mold my liners and I use a superfeet (Green) inside each liner.

The key to the release is having a bit of elasticity remaining after pulling the laces to tension. So make sure you have enough orthotic or whatever in the liner to allow that.

I've now been on mine for more than a year and they are everything I want in a waterski binding system.

1) Can't pre-release.
2) Super comfortable.
3) They have released when I needed them to and I've taken about every type fall I would worry about.
4) Designed for waterskiing. There is no corrosion on anything, period.
5) Incredible support from Radar. They sent me the new thicker plate, extra bushings (they do wear down after a while), and answered all my questions without charge or fuss.

It will take a bit of time to make the transition from rubber bindings (just like any hard shell setup). Find the thread on here about the RS-1s and follow the advice there on mounting them. Basically, you should put your feet in your current bindings and mark the ski where your ankle bone is for each binding. Then set up the RS-1s as closely as possible to those marks (again with your feet in the RS-1s, line up with the marks). If you rotate your rear rubber binding, rotate the rear RS-1 as well. I found eventually, that rotating the front RS-1 about 1/8" to the little toe side helped my onside.

Enjoy!

• Baller
I just switched to RS-1s from Wileys a month ago and I'm stoked. I used a day of buoy-less free skiing to transition from old to new. One short set on old bindings to warmup and set a baseline. Then mounted the RS-1s per specs. Free skied a solid set noting what felt different. Moved bindings forward one hole (same as with my Wileys) and I was dialed in. 2 days later I hit the course. First 2 passes sacrificed to transition gods and then ran my opener wide and early every single pass for the balance of 3 full sets. I did not heat-mold the liners and I'm also using the Green Superfeet footbeds and highly recommend them. Bought the boots & plate from h2oproshop.com from Horton's header link and Tadd at H2Osmosis was very responsive.

I think I'll visit the boys at Midwest Matercraft next weekend and see how the RS1 fits.  I'm also curious about the new Connelly Enzo, it supposedly has an adjustable heal width.  Has anyone tried these?  I have a pair of hinge wakeboard boots that I love, but don't think there is any way in H*** of coming out of them.