Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

What is your favorite ski boat and why?

GAJ0004

• Baller
I like the Ski Nautique 196 the best. I pull a lot of slalom course skiers and barefooters. I hate open bows and towers. I have a 1994 Ski Nautique that still looks and runs like new with close to 1400 hours on it. The main advantage of a Nautique over its competitors is it is the most user friendly for driving. I like my 1994 because it has a good slalom wake, but it also is great for tricks and kneeboarding. The main thing I have noticed over the years is a Nautique's skiability is less affected by adverse conditions(spray mostly). All of the big 3 Malibu, Master Craft, and Correct Craft all feel pretty much the same to me slalom skiing behind them. Can't wait to get mine out!

• Baller_
My 92 Mastercraft is the side spray machine, which really makes a man out of you in a head wind.  The best part is the "paid for".  If the powertrain ever wears out, I'd be tempted to just repower the thing with the latest & greatest, that way I'd have a DBW machine with ZO.

• Administrators
the infinity drives good and skis great. You will never trick behind one but I don't own a trick ski anymore. It just seems like a good product that did not get off the ground.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

If you want to have some (extra) fun with your Infinity, give it some throttle in reverse. It's the only tournament ski boat that will plane in reverse...

Once they added the "water wings," it became a world class tow boat. Just not enough market share left over after the big three probably.

• Baller

When we did trick tests last year there was one ski where the testers were afraid to even try any toe tricks. It was great for wake tricks but scary for surface turns. The CC wake (even with the hydrogate) is the same thing. It is awful to trick behind. Worse than that, there is significant variability between boats - so you never know what you will get in a tournament. I don't like to criticize the boat companies too much but CC has had years to fix the problem - and they have just ignored the trickers. I have bought two MC's (excellent all around boats!) since the last CC hull change ruined the trick wake. I still own and love my 97 Nautique (so I have no prejudice).

This is primarily a slalom forum so for the sake of the slalom skiers out there (and so MS doesn't bag on me too much) I will admit that the ZO CC is my favorite slalom boat of the current offerings. My top ZO CC scores are a bouy better than my ZO MC scores. And 15 buoys better than my top Stargazer Malibu scores.

But for all out best slalom boat it has to be the little 79 American Skier. Tiny wakes and a soft pull have led me through more of my 35 offs than all other boats combined! And a perfect trick wake and table as well! Now if Kirk will just take a bit of time away from high school wrestling, diving, AP biology, AP history and the rest of his classes and finish restoring the American Skier, I'll get to ski behind it again.

Eric

• Baller

Stan soft?! No way! He is a hard driver with PP or ZO!

And Lisa's nickname is "The Hammer".

Kirk isn't bad but he grew up on PP.

But I'll admit that the best American Skier runs were with a soft hand driver.

Eric

• Baller
I have slalomed behind a 1993 Malibu Echelon. I liked it too. It had a nice flat and narrow wake even at 22 off. I got to ski behind a Nightmare edition Master Craft last summer(closed bow), and a friend of mine has a 197. I like the Nightmare Edition better for slalom, and the 197 better for tricks. Nothing beats a boat that is paid for. The new Master Crafts are nice trick boats. I add a 1 foot section of rope to my trick line to find the flat spot on the table when behind a Master Craft. I have not had the chance to trick behind a new Nautique. The one thing I don't like about all the newer boats is vinyl on the stern. I would rather have more floor space when I have a crew of 4 slalom skiers. Sorry Ed, I did not mean to start an argument on here. I was just curious to see how people go about picking out a boat. I would not mind having one of those 6.0 liter engines on board for barefooting..    

• Baller

I skiied a PB practice behind an 03 196 with PP classic.  My regular ride is an 08 Malibu Response RLXi and I have gotten close to my PB behind it.  Did OK at regionals and Nats last year behing the Malibu with SG.  In my book they are interchangeable.  At our lake the Malibu is better to drive because all of our turns are to the right which fits right in with the Malibu's prop rotation.

Strictly skiing I vote 196.  Best all around (family, ski, drive and value) Malibu.

• Baller

I almost hate to say it, but my favorite boat to ski behind is the 02 American Skier Elan. Now that boat has to be the worst, most dangerous boat to ever have to drive. But it has a sweet wake.

The new Response feels like it has a 4 ft tall wake to me. But my tournament pb is behind it. I hate to drive them though because you sit so low in them. I feel like I should be on the streets of Oakland, low riding it with my MAC10 next to me. LOL

My favorite to drive and ski behind is the current generation of CC 196.

• Baller
Still love my 1994 Mastercraft 205 with over 1200 hours of family fun and memories. The wake still compares favorably with anything today except you really notice how much spray control has improved since then.

• Baller_

I pulled out 300# out of my boat and noticed the improvement in the wake.  I can only imagine how good any of the newer crop of ski boats would be if they took 300+ lbs. out.  The wake control has certainly improved and is somewhat offset by the additional weight of these newer boats.

Typical mid 90's ski boat ranged from 2200lbs (Gekko) to an average of 2400-2500 lbs, but the current crop seems to run about 4-500 lbs more.

• Baller

I'm happy and content with my '02 MB Sports 190. Nice wake, minimal spray, hot shower system, floor heater, PP and nice touches throughout. And the best part, it's paid for.

rpg