Future is here already

auskier

• Administrators

I saw a Tesla on the way to the grocery store yesterday. A Tesla in freak’n Bakersfield! See http://www.teslamotors.com/  If Tesla can make an all electric production sports car that goes 0-60 in less then 4 seconds, then someone can make a boat for us.

I am not a tree hugger by any standard but I say we do need to think about getting off pump gas. Maybe not until the economy turns around but there is an opportunity here.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Tesla will soon be releasing their 4 door 'model S' everyday type car. slightly less performance, more practical for everyday use and will be under 50k. Before you jump on that figure MS, i think that is a pretty good figure for a start-up company with less than 300 cars on the road.

• Baller

for those of you who may be interested the model S was revealed today in CA.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autobloggreen.com/media/2009/03/teslamodelslive_04_opt.jpg

For infrastructure, Tesla is working with a government-affiliatedpartner to set up battery changing stations at various locations. Theywill be able to change the battery in 5-8 minutes, "quicker thanfilling up your car with gas."

The quickness: the standard S will get to 60 in 5.5 to 6.0 seconds. Acoming sport version will get to 60 in "well under five seconds," Musksays.

According to Tesla's numbers, buying a Tesla S will save you $10-$15Kvs a comparably priced gas-powered sedan when gas is $4 per gallon. Foran equivalent comparison, you'd have to lease a $35,000 gas-powered car.

• Baller_
Pretty exciting times in the automotive industry, certainly not for the faint of heart, particularly in the USA.  It is a bit unfortunate that there is not more available capital to allow more investment in new technologies in today's environment.  I would still not be totally sure that electric will necessarily be the next method of powering the car of the future, only time will tell.  It will certainly be interesting to see what the landscape looks like 10-15-20 years down the road.  If you think back to what your parents went through in terms of changes in their lives (automotive advancements, flight, computers, internet, war) one can only imagine what we will see as changes.