Intiating edge change- arm kink?

rq0013

• Baller

I was recently at winter conference clinics and Cale Burdick was trying to show us how to initiate a clean, fast edge change with an arm tuck technique. He said he learned it from jack traverse.

He said to start the edge change by kinking in your reaching arm elbow into your core, this starts the edge change and you are ready to counter,then reach. He said this allows the ski to flow through you and to the outside turing edge.

What does everyone think about this?

Another point he made was that when he watched the other pros ski that they had 90% of their weight on their back foot when behind the boat. He skis with most of his weight on his back foot when crossing the wakes to "disengage the wing" and create acceleration.

Some concepts that I learned that Im itching to try

• Baller

There may be some truth to this, but the edge change is one area that I am continually struggling to get right.  I think the edge change is one thing that really separates the good skiers from the great skiers.  Great skiers are not making incredible turns, they are able to stay ahead of the game by making quick, crisp edge changes. 

I have heard different things over the years, but my only concern about the "arm kink" is to not pull yourself up out of your lean, to cause a change of direction down course.  If you can keep the arm in tight, causing a hinge point, for the bottom of your body swing out, while your upper body continues the proper direction.

I would like to see Bruce Butterfield chime in on this, he seems to have a good grasp on proper skiing and is able to convey it well too.

• Baller

I agree the edge change is very important and the great skiers do it very efficently.

Now Im trying to figure out how Cale explained it becuause I cant see how the "arm kink" would work without pulling you off your edge-isnt that the idea.

I understand that it would be the so called pivot point of the swing but how would a person do this?  How would you go from your arms somewhat staright to having the arm kink without bringing your self out of the lean

Im trying to figure this out because I think my edg change from my onside cut to offside turing edge is slow which causes me to be narrow sometimes.

any opinions on how much weighth goes on the back foot to accelerate

• Baller

I sat in on one of Cale's sessions at WC and heard his description of the arm kink, and I talked with him a little about it as well. From what I understand he initiates his edge change by bending his trailing elbow (left elbow if going to 1-3) and tucking it in behind him, while keeping his other arm straight. Go here to see a good example of this: http://www.proskiers.com/athletes/interviews.asp

He says this allows him to keep pressure on the line while unloading the ski and counter rotating out toward the buoy. He said he lifts his knees at the same time to allow the ski to change edges underneath him, with as little upper body movement as possible.

• Baller_

From the earlier description, the arm tuck is a good way to think about achieving the desired handle control and body position.  I think many people put far too much emphasis on “edge changeâ€Â.  If you have proper lean through the wakes and handle control, the edge change will take care of itself.

The important thing to be careful of while doing the tuck is to not let the upper body break forward.  The goal is to tuck (keep the handle close) and keep the upper body upright.

I do disagree that the edge change is what separates the good skiers from the great skiers.  I’ve stated before that, IMO, this separation is caused by how close and how long the skier holds the handle into the turn.

I really like that picture of Cale.  It shows excellent position into the buoy:  handle in close, ski well on its turning edge, but the upper body and head are upright, with the eyes level.  Note that there is a lot of angulation between the upper and lower body.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding