First set performance

SM

Scot Jones article got me thinking. I've heard and been told that starting slow at the beginning of the season is the best approach to get back in shape and avoid injury. That being said, I have 2 questions. Who here can't help themselves and skis right down to their shortest line lengths on their first set of the season? Secondly, yes you really pay the price 2 days later, but is that really so bad?

• Baller_

Its 2 very different issues between going right down the rope on the first day back and getting sore. Its simply foolish to try to get right back where you left off before the winter as you will undoubtedly be reinforcing bad habits/form. Worse case is getting hurt with bad form while trying to 'go for it'. IMO, either of those really are so bad.

The far better thing to do is ski as many passes as you can at an 'easy' line length/speed that you can do with GOOD form. As soon as form starts to fall apart due to fatique, get in the boat. You will very likely get sore, but you will be reinforcing good technique and building 'ski muscles' back into shape.

FWIW, I usually spend 3-4 weeks on easier passes in the spring before even thinking about shortening to my hardest passes. And yes, I usually get sore the first few days.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

I am not as bad as some people I know (who post here). I will ski 28, 32, somewhere into 35, and then go back and run 2 or 3 28's. Over Christmas I did this for 2 days, made myself super sore, took 3 days off, paid attention to the wife, then skied pretty much every day for the next 10 using the same regimen. The first three passes are "kid in a candy store" stuff and the last 3 are focused on good form. That being said, I could tell that 3 months of 3 days a week at the Gym would make a big difference.

• Baller

I took it easy, skied pretty solid, shortened it but didn't go crazy.   Then............

My buddy hit the water (Open - 36mph) and he hasn't skied in months either.  He looked like crap as he ran 2 x28s, cleaned up 32, 35 and 3 38s.  Not 3 at 38, but 3 back to back 38s.  He is an $%^&^hole.  Next day, I asked him if he was sore, he said, "Uh, I guess I can feel it." 

Whatever..

• Baller
I usually get very sore even if I try to take it easy on my first passes.  Even in the middle of the season I  also can feel some soreness, usually from skiing too much of course. But I have noticed that I get sore when I try to change something as well. I guess that is because of different "attack angles". If I, as an example, try to push the handle down I can feel it in my shoulders/back the day after. It is quite interesting that such a small change can make that big difference.Tsixam

Diet is huge for me in terms of getting sore... especially only getting a few days skiing at a time over the winter. The muscle pain that I get now is delayed. When I was a kid I used to get sore 4-6hrs after workout, then it was the next morning - now it can be 30hrs and then I’m locked up, can't straighten my arms, traps, glutes, hams...If I eat the following, soreness is usually minor:
  • lot's of Omega-3 and fish (mackerel, sardines, tuna)
  • bananas, fresh pineapple, greens, avocado
  • yogurt
  • >> Good protein - EAS Myoplex Carb Control
  • >> mucho water

If I crank down the beers and lot's of saturated fat, and don't eat enough protein, it is worse case - can't move for 3 days.

Also, there are supplements for DOMS (delayed on-set muscle soreness) that work for me - the link below is a good one but hard to find... GNC also has one that works

.http://labrada.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=labrada&Product_Code=GN-0112&Category_Code=Recovery

For skiing - I've been starting slow and paying a ton of attention to form and end up skiing better by 3-4th set than I was at the end of last fall....